Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who are pretty accurate with the original XD 40 and have shot the new XDM 40, does the XDM 40 shoot any more accurate out of the box. I'm asking because I'm considering trading my XD40 for the new XDM. I normally shot a 96 or 98 on the qualification course with my department but would like to up my game to the 100's and possibly start training to shoot IDPA.

·
Registered
208 Posts
For those who are pretty accurate with the original XD 40 and have shot the new XDM 40, does the XDM 40 shoot any more accurate out of the box. I'm asking because I'm considering trading my XD40 for the new XDM. I normally shot a 96 or 98 on the qualification course with my department but would like to up my game to the 100's and possibly start training to shoot IDPA.
I traded my original XD-40 for the XDm and it shoots alot better than the original. After about 150-200 rounds it started to group tight into the bullseye.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
No question the XD(M) is more accurate than the XD40 Tactical I owned and the Glock G35 I traded for it. Some how they managed to take some of the snappy recoil out of the 40S&W round.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rgeliske, what sights do you have on your xdm and are your having to change your sight picture? I heard the factory sights are set at the 6 o'clock position.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
rgeliske, what sights do you have on your xdm and are your having to change your sight picture? I heard the factory sights are set at the 6 o'clock position.
I currently have the factory sights and they do shoot to a 6:00 hold while the XDs I have owned shoot more to Point Of Aim. With the XD(M) I have to hold the front sight lower than I do my other XDs. Also I was shooting a mixed bag of loads and so the POI varied with the particular round I was shooting. The JHP loaded toward the max. as well as the moly coated RNFP consistently were high. The factory WWB were pretty much on target with a 6:00 hold but the grouping was 3"-4". By far the most consistent round was the mystery powder 185 LRNFP which were consistently group around the bullseye using a 6:00 hold. They grouped 3 or 4 rounds in the bull with 1 or 2 an inch or so outside. I need to find out what the powder charge was because these were relatively light loads that shot very well. If you will be shooting WWB or Blazer ammo I would say a 6:00 will work fine.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Springfield recently sent me a new rear sight. The sight is a tad bit taller and should change the 6oclock hold to point of aim. I had my rangemaster put the rear sight on and will be shooting it on Mon. Gonna spend 4 hrs at the range to make sure it shoots the way I want.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Springfield recently sent me a new rear sight. The sight is a tad bit taller and should change the 6oclock hold to point of aim. I had my rangemaster put the rear sight on and will be shooting it on Mon. Gonna spend 4 hrs at the range to make sure it shoots the way I want.
The only thing I don't like about a Point Of Aim hold is that the front sight often covers the target but if you know that ahead of time it is not a problem. My carry gun (XD45 Compact) shoots POA and with TFO sights that works well in low light.

·
Registered
211 Posts
All my other handguns shoots to the point of aim. I want to keep it the same. I also have been trained from my Dept for the last 18 years to shoot point of aim.

I want to get the truglos but heard gun cleaning solution can screw them up. I use alot of gun scrubber and break free for cleaning. I never had any problems with solvent and trijicons.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have the tru glows on my xd. I heard the same thing and also use break free so I'm just careful not to get any on my sights. I have used tape on my sites and it works fine. I've had no problems with the solution affecting my sights as of yet.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
All my other handguns shoots to the point of aim. I want to keep it the same. I also have been trained from my Dept for the last 18 years to shoot point of aim.

I want to get the truglos but heard gun cleaning solution can screw them up. I use alot of gun scrubber and break free for cleaning. I never had any problems with solvent and trijicons.
That was an issue with early TFO a couple years ago. I use brake cleaner on my guns and have not had any problems. I do make a point of not spraying it directly on the sights but I do the same with other night sights.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I just took my XDM-40 out this past weekend and can say that mine also shoots a 6 o'clock hold. Damn fine and accurate gun!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts