Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why should I buy an XDM 9mm vs a Glock 34? Or vice versa? I have been torn between the two but haven't owned either one.
Thanks
Tictock

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Your really doing an apples to oranges comparison. The XD Tactical would be closer to the 34. What is your intended purpose?

ranburr

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
In my opinion, the safety features on the XD and XDM are more impressive than the Glock, especially the squeeze safety on the pistol grip. In addition, the XDM allows you to customize your grip by offering 3 interchangeable grips, small, medium, and large - they all come with the gun. Go to "www.xdguys.com," go to the "XD How To's," and view the (M) Factor videos by Ron Leatham -- fantastic! And by ALL means, go to a dealer and look at the XDM -- if you can find one! They don't stay in the stores long, especially now! My husband and I have bought both the XDM 9mm and the XDM 40 S&W. I guess when the 45 comes out, I hope we'll be able to get that one, too. Intelligent design, incredible guns!

·
Registered
512 Posts
The G34 is a great gun, but I've become much more of a fan of the XD's. I traded my G35 for an XD9 Tactical last week and don't regret it a bit. I loved that 35, but as comfortable as it was for me, the XD is even more so. Down the road I'm looking to get an XDm, but unfortunately it won't be any time soon. The Glock grip angle took some getting used to for me whereas the XD grip angle is much more natural.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to do some competition shooting. Wanted to with 9mm. I have a friend that shoots with a G34 ad loves it. But I have heard a lot of great things about the XDM. I know they are two diffent length barrels just having a hard time deciding.

·
Registered
9,262 Posts
I want to do some competition shooting. Wanted to with 9mm. I have a friend that shoots with a G34 ad loves it. But I have heard a lot of great things about the XDM. I know they are two diffent length barrels just having a hard time deciding.
Your hands will decide for you. Both are great competition pistols but Just remember a Berretta DA/SA took third in the 2008 Production Nationals.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For some reason I shoot much better with the XD than I do my Glocks or like type. Just did a 19 with tungsten guide rod and barstow barrel vs the XDM 9mm and the XD outshot the 19 hands down. Would be interesting doing the 34 or a 17 but don't have at this point. Again, this is just me - I like the feel of the XD better, the grip angle and the overall shooting experience. That said I do have a 19, 26, 27 and 35 Glock - for now at least.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've shot a glock 35 and 22 (40 s&w). I prefer my XDM-40 over both. The XDM seems to have a more even recoil, and alot more smooth. Both the glocks had a hard recoil that was kind of hard on the hands after extended use.

Just my 2 cents; I'm not a fan of the Glock, so far, for regular shooting.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I'll soon know......I just ordered an XDM 9mm bitone from the internet. All the other internet folks wanted a lot more and/or no stock. Feel I got a fair deal in the new environment (post election) at $620. Now the terrible waiting until it arrives and I can get to the range.
Wish me luck!!!
Tictock

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
IDPA was created by Glockophiles. That's why only Glock can have a coffin cut like that and you can't add one to your XD. (Sermon over)

Why a XDM over a Glock? Cause it's cooler. Chances are either is better than you can elicit from it. No offense intended. Tis neither the arrow nor the bow nor the quiver.....

Congrats on your decision. I am sure you won't be sorry. I am trying now to ween my son from Glocks. Tis a sad process. I thought I was done when he graduated.

Do you think they'll ever have a Glockophile on that show "Intervention"?

·
Registered
29,759 Posts
Glock 34. Hands down.

Much, much, MUCH better out of the box trigger, and feels much better in the hand--the XD-M feels to bleedin' topheavy. Mags are a lot easier to find. And, at least around here, the G34 is about $10 cheaper than XD-M's ($589 vs $599).

·
Premium Member
1,089 Posts
Glock 34. Hands down.

Much, much, MUCH better out of the box trigger, and feels much better in the hand--the XD-M feels to bleedin' topheavy. Mags are a lot easier to find. And, at least around here, the G34 is about $10 cheaper than XD-M's ($589 vs $599).
Are you kidding me! Glock triggers stink! That's why you can shoot them in their own division (SSP) because of the difficulty in firing the double action/safe fire trigger system.

That topheavy thing....I guess I like my pistols like my women. I never notice.

·
Registered
29,759 Posts
Are you kidding me! Glock triggers stink! That's why you can shoot them in their own division (SSP) because of the difficulty in firing the double action/safe fire trigger system.

That topheavy thing....I guess I like my pistols like my women. I never notice.
Well, I thought the XD-M's trigger had excessive take-up, a mushy break, excessive overtravel, and a long reset. If you read a few other posts in this section, you'll find I'm not alone.

As for shooting in SSP, STP, OMG or SNAFU, I fail to see why that should have any bearing whatsoever in choosing a defensive, non-competition pistol.

As for the rest...well, good for you.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Well, I thought the XD-M's trigger had excessive take-up, a mushy break, excessive overtravel, and a long reset. If you read a few other posts in this section, you'll find I'm not alone.
I'd have to agree with every bit of that. I've never had an issue with any Glunk right out of the box. I will say that when I first started actively shooting Glocks, it was definitely an adjustment from the triggers I was mainly used to: Variant 1 trigger groups on my HK's. Again, apples and oranges. However, when I got used to the "dual-action" trigger, as well as adjusting to the trigger reset, my control, as well as shot placement, improved dramatically. Rapid and accurate follow-up shots were easy-breezy.

I have to say that the fit of an XDM 40 is much better over the frame of the G22 (what I normally carry), and I like the fit of the 3rd Gen. frame. However, the grip angle does force me to tilt my wrist up to be on-point; it's something I do naturally now.

OTOH, I was really expecting more from the XDM, given its "Match" upgrade status. Thus far, as much as I like the feel and fit, it leaves a LOT to be desired in the trigger group department. To be fair, mine only has 200 rounds in one range trip, so hopefully this week's range trip will see better results. To be clear, it wasn't necessarily "bad", I just expected it to be better. We'll see...

·
Registered
17 Posts
A G34 trigger difficult to fire? Methinks you haven't fired a G34 before. Not same trigger as G17/19.

I'm not being ad-hominem here, I'm just saying I find it incredulous to believe that a 3.5lb trigger pull is anything BUT difficult.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do what I did... get both. :D
Amen, brother! I have several Glocks and XD/Ms now. Each has their advantage, all are fun to shoot, and none of them will let you down when it matters!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great thread! I am also considering a G35 or an XD for competition. I handled the XD and XDM today but I prefer the way the XD feels.I want to know more about the XDs and that is why I am here. Unfortuantly the gun shop that I visited today had no tactical XDs. I will have to keep serching.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, the XDM 9 bi-tone arrived today. Looks and feels great. Can't wait to go to the range but it probably won't be until Wednesday. Hope the results are as good as the gun looks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts