Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I am new to the sight and have been looking at getting a xdm or some caliber. I think I am leaning towards the 9mm. I was wondering what some of your thoughts were to which you prefer! This is a very cool site and am glad I found it! Thanks in advance!:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought the 9mm. I use it for home defense and for range fun.

If you are going to use the firearm for strictly range purposes, I would recommend the 9mm. It is cheaper, and slightly easier to shoot.

If you want to use the firearm for home defense, or CC I would recommend the .40. It has more stopping power. Some would argue that the added stopping power is necessary and some will argue that shot placement is the key.

I fired both weapons before I purchased the 9mm, they are not that much different. I chose the 9mm because I knew I was going to put A LOT of rounds through it and I wanted to save a bit of cash.

·
Registered
565 Posts
If it is meant for the range and target shooting, I would recommend the 9mm.

If it is for self-defense, then I would recommend that one that you can shoot best. Not only single shot placement, but the one that you can shoot at least two accurate double taps quicky.

Good Luck And Be Safe!!!
:cool:

·
Registered
62 Posts
If most police officers carry a .380 or. 25auto as backup why the hell is 9mm not good enough for stopping power I say. For lots of shooting 9mm way to go.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
Welcome to the Forum from Texas! :D

All pistols in my inventory are of the .40 S&W flavor. I have lots of confidence in them as a so called "stopper" However....I spend ALLOT of time on the range, and the cost of the .40 is significantly greater than a 9mm, thus will be purchasing my first 9mm here in the next month or less.

If this is your first pistol, I would recommend the 9mm. I personally think that everyone should own at least 1. The 9mm is enough for a defensive round, shot placement is key. To get good shot placement, your gonna spend allot of time in practice, the 9mm will cost you less while spooling up your proficieincy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You can always buy the XdM in 40 and buy the 9mm conversion barrel and a couple of mags for range practice to keep the cost down. This will allow you to practice with the platform you carry, instead of going to your plinker or another firearm all together. 2 cents...

·
Registered
88 Posts
+100 ^^^^^^^^^^ I do that with several guns,this conversion has generaly been proven to be reliable.Rule is though for SD, use the barrel and caliber that came with the gun.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Like many here (and elsewhere) have said...I believe more in shot placement than caliber. Now...I do fully understand that comment has its limits (AKA .22LR-vs-.44 Mag) but you get what I'm saying. I'd rather go up against a complete novice with a .40 S&W than an expert with a 9mm.

With that said 9mm is cheaper than .40...often up to 33% cheaper depending on where you get it. Cheaper ammo = more range time and more range time = better weapon handling, better weapon handling = better shot placement under stress (if need be).

The barrel swap is an ok idea but I have an OCD when ti comes to weapon consistency. Same gun at the range/same gun in the home/same gun during carry...same/same/same...including the caliber.

Contrary to popular belief, there is a difference between 9mm and .40 when it comes to report and recoil...darn near the same difference between .40 and .45 auto. Shooting 9mm in a gun at the range all of the time, you get used to that recoil. You learn to manage the gun under that exact recoil to control tactics like double tap. Even switching from a 115gr FMJ 9mm to a hot 124gr +P 9mm will change your shooting performance. Trust me, I've seen it with myself and others for years. heck changing gun manufacturers in one shoot, even if the same caliber (Glock-to-Sig-to-SA-to-etc) will mess with a shooter.

If you don't believe me...rent a 9mm XDm AND a .40 XDm...take them to the range and double tap with both...I guarantee your your results are different.

Long story short...if you practice with 9mm, defend yourself with 9mm. If .40 then stick with that as well.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got my XDm 3.8 compact in 9mm. I had recently sold my mint 9mm Belgian Browning HP to a collector and needed to replace it with something a bit more modern. 9mm ammo and components are plentiful. Years ago someone gave me about 20,000 once fired FC cases. I gave a lot away and still got about 5,000 so getting the XDm in 9mm made all the sense in the world.

For pure range fun the 9mm is the way to go. For law enforcement work the .40 might be a better choice.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I have a Ruger 9mm and a xdm .40. My ruger stays in the safe, unless I am going to the range and want to shoot it.
I prefer the .40. Some will tell you that it is shot placement that is important, and not knock down power. I say why not have both?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I use 9mm for my everyday carry, IDPA shooting and range trips.

Shot placement is key. Why stop at 1 or 2 when you can have 5 or 6 in the bad guy. Excessive? If you can get 6 shots in a target in 2.43 seconds from a draw, I dont think its excessive. Its just the speed at which you may happen to pull the trigger and I would think 6 shots to center mass should create enough wound channels to drop the blood pressure fast enough to bring the baddie down.

I dont like the .40 personally and am quite happy with the 9mm.

Keep in mind how long the 9mm was used around the world and it makes sense. It works.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I prefer the .40 mainly because my first gun was a Glock 22 which I put thousands of rounds through so the .40 recoil and whatever people complain about doesn't bother me and I've found I shoot both equally as well.

·
Registered
5,762 Posts
as others have said, 9mm is the most economical for range use (don't like to say cheapest because that has a bad connotation). Modern defensive rounds in 9mm are very effective. Different people might prefer and shoot certain calibers better. I always thought I was a "nine guy" because that's what I trained with years ago, but have recently been enjoying and doing well at matches with 45. Best advise would be to try each caliber and see what you shoot best with, preferably before spending your money on a gun.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
All I'm saying is use the damn search function, 9 vs 40 and a gazillion threads come up. But just like everything else in america, everyone wants a handout. Nobody will do the work themselves.

I'm sorry this just pisses me off when the noobies make this a first post.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Relax ta2dave76, I have been looking. I stumbled upon this site and thought you guys and gals obviously know XDMs since it is a site dedicated to springfield armory. I just wanted more opinions before I spend the money. Dont read my post then and sure as hell dont post on it if it pisses you off!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for everyone else who gave me their thoughts on the subject. Like I said in the first post, I am leaning towards the 9mm.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
If you've been reading the threads, then you know this topic comes up 100 times, with the same answers. I don't see the point in a new "9 or 40" thread. There are enough of them. Next I'm sure you will ask what holster to get.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts