Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time to the range with a new XDM-9. Shoots great. No feed issues (100+ rounds). One question. The spring tension in the magazine seems very stiff. The magazine took 15 rounds with no problem but was extremely difficult to put in remaining 4 rounds. I had to unload several rounds, tap, and reload several times until all 19 fit properly. I was using the XDm Gear mag loader. Both factory magazines that came with the XDM have similar spring tension, I have other high capacity magazines (XD40) and don't remember new mags being so tight. Any others seeing the same issue? Any secret to loading the XDM-9 high capacity magazines?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Get the Butler Creek UPLULA universal magazine loader. Loads most magazines from 380 to 10mm. Slide it over the magazine, squeeze and load. Easy and fast.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Not uncommon with new mags. I see you were using a mag loader, you should do ok with that just load and unload your mags and it should get better with just a little bit of time. Congrats on the XDM 9 and in case I haven't done it yet welcome to the forum!!!

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
You might try leaving the new mags fully loaded for a week or two when not in use. The new springs will often feel stiff in any of the XD mags I have tried except the older 10 round capacity ones I have. After leaving mine loaded for a couple of weeks and using them a few times at the range they are getting somewhat easier to load now (I have a 40 XDm), but I still use the provided Springfield loader for the last few rounds to avoid bruising my delicate thumb... ok its not THAT delicate, but you get the gist. I think they will get somewhat better with age without degrading to the point where they cant keep up with the slide cycle and not feed.

·
Registered
443 Posts
My 9mm Xd-m is the same. I have had best results pushing the tip of the bullet by hand at equal speed with the xdgear mag loader pushing the casing. It feels as if the follower binds up if I just press with the loader and don't push the other end down to keep it level.

·
Registered
127 Posts
That's the case when you put 19 in the mag. Just wait a few weeks and load em full and let em sit like most have already said. With the mag loader it should not have been a problem. I already bought another one and felt the same way loading as the first time. It gets easier. If you want to load only by hand try doing some fingertip pushups. This will increase the strength in your fingertips and will allow you to put those other 4 in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts