Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
No. It's not the gun that needs to be accurate. The longer sight radius on the 5.25 makes it easy pick up the front sight and shoot at longer distances. Other then that it's the same as any XDM.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
No. It's not the gun that needs to be accurate. The longer sight radius on the 5.25 makes it easy pick up the front sight and shoot at longer distances. Other then that it's the same as any XDM.
Actually the sight radius in not the only factor for the accuracy improvement, as they are using a new production technique (for them) to make a better fit of the slide and frame. We have seen a noticeably better fit, and we have seen a lot of these.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
IMO this will continue to be a question until a reputable source does a ransom style test of this firearm.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
LOL, you don't think it has been done? I've already told you several times you just need to wait for things to hit print. You wonder why Rob thinks you hate him? I think your constant questioning of his integrity might have something to do with it.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
LOL, you don't think it has been done? I've already told you several times you just need to wait for things to hit print. You wonder why Rob thinks you hate him? I think your constant questioning of his integrity might have something to do with it.
I'm not questioning his integrity, or yours ... Perhaps it is both of you who have a problem with someone questioning neither of you, but SA and their claims about accuracy.

The same claim occurred with the release of the XDm, and it's "Match" barrel, but all I have ever heard on the subject is shooter opinion, and nothing scientific to back it up.

So tell Rob, because he hasn't stated why he thinks I hate him, that while I value his opinion, it's just an opinion, at this point, and is no different than claiming one can shoot a particular gun better than another.

Concerning something making it to print,
Perhaps the hype will calm down, once that occurs.

I didn't start this thread, so get off my case about the idea that a scientific test will put the rumors to rest :wink:
IMO such a test will end the debate, but until then ... It's all subjective opinion.

But to easy your mind,
In the future I'll just state that a test is supposed to be forthcoming, and no is willing to offer more than opinion, thus far.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
We have posted our results and I even posted Rob and Caleb's (who has publicly been skeptical of the pistol) public results for you also. Those are not opinions, those are real world tests.

I know of other results (that mirror ours) but there are folks that make a living writing for magazines, so it is not my place to post them on a public forum before their employer does now is it?

I think you would be better served to just go shoot one than to continue to post that you "don't think" SA's claims are accurate. I don't know what their claims are actually, I just know what the gun coming into us are doing.

I think 50 is a good number to give me a scientific sampling. I don't know of a gun writer in the country that is going to get 50 pistols to test for an article.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Since you edited your post as I was replying, I'll add that don't think ANY one test will end any rumors, there are just too many who post and do not shoot the products they are giving opinions on.

Take the $1300 5.25 price point, guess how that got started and how many people still think the gun is $1300+.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
We have posted our results and I even posted Rob and Caleb's (who has publicly been skeptical of the pistol) public results for you also. Those are not opinions, those are real world tests.

I know of other results (that mirror ours) but there are folks that make a living writing for magazines, so it is not my place to post them on a public forum before their employer does now is it?

I think you would be better served to just go shoot one than to continue to post that you "don't think" SA's claims are accurate. I don't know what their claims are actually, I just know what the gun coming into us are doing.

I think 50 is a good number to give me a scientific sampling. I don't know of a gun writer in the country that is going to get 50 pistols to test for an article.
I'm not going to argue with you ... You'll just start claiming that I hate you, also.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Longer distance (25yds +) I cannot say but I have personally spent time at the range my my friend's 3.8" 9mm (full length grip), my own 4.5" 9mm and my other friends 5.25" 9mm.

As far as accuracy goes, all seem the same within 10 yds when shooting from a standing position. Be it quick draw, double tap or taking my time and bullseye shooting...neither really had the advantage over another aside from the much improved sights on the 5.25. (On a side note, I am far from and expert but having shot for 2/3 of my life (and some of those years competitively)...I am no amateur either.)

When it comes to "feel"...the 3.8 is the only oddball. The 4.5 (stock) and the 5.25 (again, stock) are darn near identical with it comes to feel...to add to that, the front sight post on the 5.25" being an extra .75" farther from my face doesn't make for an entirely different shooting experience (I wondered if it would). As far as hand fit/feel goes, the 3.8, strange enough, actually feels better to me...there is less front heft. It is also notably louder an has more muzzle flash (as any shorter barrel will have). Nothing extreme but you will notice it when standing along side a shooter.

Also as expected the quick, from holster draw on the 3.8 is the best with the 4.5 coming in second and the 5.25 being the toughest. Though...I'm not talking about a country mile between them...only a small margin.

The 5.25 takes the win simply because of the sights SA included on the gun...but then again, replacing the factory sight on any other model with a F/O will produce the exact same effect.

Personally...I don't see the "WOW!!!" with the 5.25...then again I never shoot out past 25 yds with a pistol. I will say that given the fact my friend picked his up for $749...it is a great deal figuring an all black/black XDm around here goes for $599. $150 extra for those sights and coffin cut slide is not a bad dal in the slightest.

I know some here will tell me I'm crazy but given the choice...I'd rather have my 4.5 with an upgraded set of sights rather than that extra barrel length. For carry I'd choose the 3.8 hands down. on the other hand I wouldn't say anyone is a fool for spending the extra $$ on the 5.25 as it really offers good value for the money.

On thing that's for sure...bone stock all of them have a lousy trigger. :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Take the $1300 5.25 price point, guess how that got started and how many people still think the gun is $1300+.
I about carped myself when I heard that the first time, then I realized that there wasn't that much different besides the slide and barrel length and started looking into it again and found that they go for just slightly over normal XDM price.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I about carped myself when I heard that the first time, then I realized that there wasn't that much different besides the slide and barrel length and started looking into it again and found that they go for just slightly over normal XDM price.
And I corrected that to the best of my ability ... But someone has brought it back up for their own purpose, I guess.

·
Registered
30 Posts
As a novice on my second day of class I shot both of these XDM's and from my humble newbie perspective the 5.25 truly shinned, a testament to Rob's contribution to Springfield. I don't have any substantive gun lingo to describe the mechanics or performance, but what I can tell you about the 5.25 in the hands of a novice it made me look like a semi-competent shooter. My instructor had me go through drawing drills, side step, walk & draw, then walk, draw, side step and double tap. My grouping was worthy of keeping the target to show my friends. I attribute my success to the design of the 5.25. Its an amazing gun.

I would have bought the 5.25, but I couldn't use it as a CC and that was the purpose of taking the course. At some point I will purchase this gun for recreational shooting that is for sure. As far as pricing, the gun store where I was taking my course was selling the 5.25 for $793.99.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Not going to make any difference in real world applications (like saving your skin)... perhaps a little better in competition applications... but 99% of competition shooting is skill and experience... I'm wondering why people other than SA are defending a little critism and skepticism like this weapon was just pulled from the birth canal of their wife though, oh yeah, $$$$$, I forgot...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Due to the lack of owning a 4.5, I'll compare it to my M&P 9mm and report back which is more accurate. I suspect I already know the answer but we shall see.

The sight acquisition is very quick on the 5.25.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know that this is an old thread, but I also understand that people develop or change their opinions on their likes and dislikes of certain guns after time. I'm really interested in yall's thoughts on the XDM 9mm in 4.5" vs 5.25". I'm just a once or twice a month "indoor target shooter" that wants a nice gun to plink a bit out to 25 yds or so.
I'm presently shooting an XD9 SC, Ruger GP100 .38/357, and carry a S&W Shield 9mm or S&W 642. I (we) really like all 4 guns and are having lots of fun with each, but I would like to try my hand with either the XDM 4.5" or 5.25" 9mm. Any thoughts?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts