Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone concealed carry a XDM 9mm 4.5? I am looking into a concealed carry class, but am wondering if the XDM I have is to large to conceal. Any thoughts on good IWB holsters? Thanks

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Does anyone concealed carry a XDM 9mm 4.5? I am looking into a concealed carry class, but am wondering if the XDM I have is to large to conceal. Any thoughts on good IWB holsters? Thanks
Winter, under a jacket, hoodie or big shirt? No problem. I use a FoxX IWB or a cheap OWB from Holsterworld (fits any reasonable double stack).

Summer...for me, no. With the longer grip, I would have to dress around it very carefully. Even the short-gripped 3.8 Compact requires some planning—although I still occasionally carry that one in the FoxX or a kydex ASOB holster.

Some people carry some pretty large hardware; it’s just a question of what you’re prepared to wear to conceal the piece.

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
Thin. The most important word in concealed carry. Thin.

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
The XDm is a big ol chunk of a pistol, especially in 4.5". I don't even carry my 3.8 as much as I thought I would because my P99c (PPS in summer) conceals so much better... but it also gives up a couple of rounds. Compromises must be made.

A good holster and belt helps a lot. I'm currently liking The No Print Wonder from Clinger and the belts from Vedder. I also use Vedder's Light Tuck for smaller guns but I think that big M is a bit much for a single-clip IWB. The Clinger piece can also be converted to an OWB by changing the clips to belt loops. In fact, I have some new loops coming to me from HolsterBuilder.com to do just that.

I also like CompTac, G-Code, Milt Sparks, and Blue Line Concealment for IWB. CrossBreed, BlackArch (formerly SHTF), BlackPointTactical, and Alien Gear all get high marks too.

I'm pretty sure I have an Everyday hybrid holster for a 4.5 XDm that I could send you if you don't mind picking up the postage... it might help give you a baseline as to what you like and don't like. IIRC, I bought it from a member here several yrs ago... it was kind of a transitional piece for me as I went from leather to Kydex.

Reactions: 6thMichCav

·
Registered
9,839 Posts
Thin. The most important word in concealed carry. Thin.
Especially true if you wear skinny jeans or a lot of Spandex.
May I suggest... *neither*.

·
Registered
29,693 Posts
*Quietly peeks in mirror to see if the fat-cylindered 686 is obvious under the T-shirt...*

*it isn’t*

Thin is nice, particularly for what I refer to as “covert" carry—that is, it is of the utmost importance that the gun not be seen, period. This comes usually at the cost of accessibility and, to a certain extent, capability of the firearm (usually in terms of smaller size—harder to handle—smaller caliber, or lessened capacity...or all three).

But, if the correct holster, belt and mode of dress are chosen...damn near anything can be concealed.

·
Registered
18,869 Posts
*Quietly peeks in mirror to see if the fat-cylindered 686 is obvious under the T-shirt...*

*it isn’t*

Thin is nice, particularly for what I refer to as “covert" carry—that is, it is of the utmost importance that the gun not be seen, period. This comes usually at the cost of accessibility and, to a certain extent, capability of the firearm (usually in terms of smaller size—harder to handle—smaller caliber, or lessened capacity...or all three).

But, if the correct holster, belt and mode of dress are chosen...damn near anything can be concealed.
No question, but for comfort and ease and fully concealed thin is the most important thing IMO. Like your I’ve concealed lots of different guns, thin ones were the easiest. Thin and light especially.

·
Registered
9,839 Posts

*it isn’t*
I'm not sure how you pull that off for anything other than posing in front of a mirror... ?
For my real world activities which include work, occasional grocery shopping, and the even less frequent dropping-something-on-the-floor, I don't see a K-frame anything hiding under an untucked t-shirt. It's a LARGE part of the reason that I rarely go out dressed like a slob. Generally I wear a REAL shirt and a jacket (you know... like a grown-up) and still wear a single-stack, IWB.
How do you manage a 686 with an undershirt out in public?
Must be some secrets that everyone could benefit from. Please... share.

·
Registered
29,693 Posts
I'm not sure how you pull that off for anything other than posing in front of a mirror... ?
For my real world activities which include work, occasional grocery shopping, and the even less frequent dropping-something-on-the-floor, I don't see a K-frame anything hiding under an untucked t-shirt. It's a LARGE part of the reason that I rarely go out dressed like a slob. Generally I wear a REAL shirt and a jacket (you know... like a grown-up) and still wear a single-stack, IWB.
How do you manage a 686 with an undershirt out in public?
Must be some secrets that everyone could benefit from. Please... share.
Just an IWB, and I don’t wear form-fitting clothing...and size tall t-shirts.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I can carry the first gen XD subcompact with the 3.8in barrel under a tshirt and nobody sees it with a crossbreed. Heck, I can do the same with a full sized 1911 and a CBST.

I'm not fat at all. very tall and lanky.

But in the summer.....I don't really feel like trying to hold up a pair of shorts with a gun belt thusly I downsize to a shield or an xds figuring with the more summer like clothing on a bad guy, hopefully I don't need all of the extra rounds. quite truthfully, I hate the XDs so it's almost always the shield.

In other words, get a good holster. Try it. If it doesn't work, pick out a summer carry gun.

I am a Crossbreed supertuck junkie. Probably bought a few college books for the Craighead children with all of my purchases over the years LOL.

But honey, you buy summer clothes. I need my after Memorial Day gun!

·
Registered
7,278 Posts
newXDM9 -

My true-EDC (in that when I can legally carry, I'm carrying this gun, about 95% of the time) is an XDm9 3.8 Compact.

Why this gun, instead of my 4.5-inch XDm9? Because with my everyday clothing and my chosen method of carry, the grip length of the full-capacity (19-rounds) model makes me unable to conceal the weapon to the depth-of-concealment that I prefer.

Note that the latter is subjective: it's the depth of concealment to which I desire. There's no laws in Ohio against "printing" when concealed-carrying. There's nothing to say that I can't open-carry, either. It's just that I prefer to conceal-carry, and that the depth-of-concealment which I prefer is just that: subjective to my personal desires.

I'm an untucked T-shirt over jeans kind of guy. I'm an academic scientist, so I have the luxury of being able to be a little quirky. ;) As a matter of fact, 7-days-a-week, I'm in identical copies of a black T-shirt over a pair of bluejeans, with a baseball cap on my head (people who don't know me well are always surprised that I have a full head of hair, when they see me in my "adult/real-people clothes" :p).

I'm 43, so my T-shirts are not skin-tight and my pants aren't the fashionable skinny-jeans that kids wear, now :oops:. Given this type of dress, with a good belt (Ares Gear Enhanced Ranger for the last 2 years, a Zlogonje Gunleather for the 5 years bbefore that) and a good IWB holster (KT-Mech Defender Light-Bearing for the last 2 years, a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro for the 5 years before that), I've been able to conceal-carry with no-one - and I do mean NO-ONE - knowing.

But here's the trick:

It's not just what I wear, but also how I wear it - and since my body build is likely different from yours, even if we wore the same clothes and used the same support gear and set it up the same, it's more than likely that you'll see a result that's different from mine. And even if everything turned out to be the same, it's still possible that you may find how I carry my gun - IWB on my dominant side, at approx. the 2:30 (somewhere between AIWB and traditional "strong-side" carry) - to be so uncomfortable that you can't bear it, either because of how the gun sits above the waistline or how the holster sits below.

;)

Concealed carry is all about your body-build, how you wear your clothes, how you subjectively perceive comfort and the need for concealment, and the compromises you are willing to make at each of these steps.

Maybe you're willing to change your manner of dress in order to allow you to carry a bigger gun. Maybe you can't change your way of dress, and instead you have to pursue a gun and/or gear setup that addresses this compromise.

To wit:

I've also concealed my 4.5-inch XDm9.

I was on my way to/from a two-day carbine class, having stopped-off at a neighborhood gas-station for a splash-up and top-off the tank for the second day's trip out to the range.

I was wearing the gun OWB in a Raven Concealment Systems Phantom, with my oversized rain-fly (Marmont Precip) draped over it, when a gust of wind suddenly plastered it to my body.....

From two islands away, I hear a homeboy yelling, excitedly (and in a friendly manner): "Damn, Bro! I see that 9!" :oops: We talked guns for the duration of our fill-up. :D

So, yes, it was concealed, but it wasn't to the depth that I'd usually have it - called-out on the gun basically the second time I'd worn it "concealed," versus yet having been called-out on my true-EDC, after now 7 and a half years of everyday concealed-carry. :lol: But I was totally OK with it: because my intent hadn't been to conceal that gun in a manner where I didn't want anyone else to know that it's there - I'd made the concession that I was going to carry that gun concealed in that manner, and that I didn't care if someone "made" me with it, given the context (i.e. that I was going to/from class, and was exceedingly unlikely to meet anyone from my "daily life").

Do you get where I am going with this? ;)

There's no right or wrong way to do this.

I'd encourage you, newXDM9, to first go take that concealed carry class you wrote about above. To learn about the law and all the other stuff you need to so that you can legally conceal-carry in your state. Hopefully, you'll be going to a good instructor/school, and they'll have a bunch of different guns as well as holsters for you to try out, so that you an find what works best *_for you_*. :)

·
Registered
472 Posts
newXDM9 -

My true-EDC (in that when I can legally carry, I'm carrying this gun, about 95% of the time) is an XDm9 3.8 Compact.

Why this gun, instead of my 4.5-inch XDm9? Because with my everyday clothing and my chosen method of carry, the grip length of the full-capacity (19-rounds) model makes me unable to conceal the weapon to the depth-of-concealment that I prefer.

Note that the latter is subjective: it's the depth of concealment to which I desire. There's no laws in Ohio against "printing" when concealed-carrying. There's nothing to say that I can't open-carry, either. It's just that I prefer to conceal-carry, and that the depth-of-concealment which I prefer is just that: subjective to my personal desires.

I'm an untucked T-shirt over jeans kind of guy. I'm an academic scientist, so I have the luxury of being able to be a little quirky. ;) As a matter of fact, 7-days-a-week, I'm in identical copies of a black T-shirt over a pair of bluejeans, with a baseball cap on my head (people who don't know me well are always surprised that I have a full head of hair, when they see me in my "adult/real-people clothes" :p).

I'm 43, so my T-shirts are not skin-tight and my pants aren't the fashionable skinny-jeans that kids wear, now :oops:. Given this type of dress, with a good belt (Ares Gear Enhanced Ranger for the last 2 years, a Zlogonje Gunleather for the 5 years bbefore that) and a good IWB holster (KT-Mech Defender Light-Bearing for the last 2 years, a Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro for the 5 years before that), I've been able to conceal-carry with no-one - and I do mean NO-ONE - knowing.

But here's the trick:

It's not just what I wear, but also how I wear it - and since my body build is likely different from yours, even if we wore the same clothes and used the same support gear and set it up the same, it's more than likely that you'll see a result that's different from mine. And even if everything turned out to be the same, it's still possible that you may find how I carry my gun - IWB on my dominant side, at approx. the 2:30 (somewhere between AIWB and traditional "strong-side" carry) - to be so uncomfortable that you can't bear it, either because of how the gun sits above the waistline or how the holster sits below.

;)

Concealed carry is all about your body-build, how you wear your clothes, how you subjectively perceive comfort and the need for concealment, and the compromises you are willing to make at each of these steps.

Maybe you're willing to change your manner of dress in order to allow you to carry a bigger gun. Maybe you can't change your way of dress, and instead you have to pursue a gun and/or gear setup that addresses this compromise.

To wit:

I've also concealed my 4.5-inch XDm9.

I was on my way to/from a two-day carbine class, having stopped-off at a neighborhood gas-station for a splash-up and top-off the tank for the second day's trip out to the range.

I was wearing the gun OWB in a Raven Concealment Systems Phantom, with my oversized rain-fly (Marmont Precip) draped over it, when a gust of wind suddenly plastered it to my body.....

From two islands away, I hear a homeboy yelling, excitedly (and in a friendly manner): "Damn, Bro! I see that 9!" :oops: We talked guns for the duration of our fill-up. :D

So, yes, it was concealed, but it wasn't to the depth that I'd usually have it - called-out on the gun basically the second time I'd worn it "concealed," versus yet having been called-out on my true-EDC, after now 7 and a half years of everyday concealed-carry. :lol: But I was totally OK with it: because my intent hadn't been to conceal that gun in a manner where I didn't want anyone else to know that it's there - I'd made the concession that I was going to carry that gun concealed in that manner, and that I didn't care if someone "made" me with it, given the context (i.e. that I was going to/from class, and was exceedingly unlikely to meet anyone from my "daily life").

Do you get where I am going with this? ;)

There's no right or wrong way to do this.

I'd encourage you, newXDM9, to first go take that concealed carry class you wrote about above. To learn about the law and all the other stuff you need to so that you can legally conceal-carry in your state. Hopefully, you'll be going to a good instructor/school, and they'll have a bunch of different guns as well as holsters for you to try out, so that you an find what works best *_for you_*. :)
FANTASTIC POST!

·
Registered
361 Posts
A man can conceal any firearm he chooses on his person... all it takes is a beautiful woman on his arm. :)
Those get in the way on the draw. In fact I tell my wife when she wants to cuddle on the couch, if a home invasion happened right now, she's in the way of my draw.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks a lot for all of the input. I am looking into getting a xds for this time of year. I appriciate all of the thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks a lot for all of the input. I am looking into getting a xds for this time of year. I appriciate all of the thoughts. Thanks.
I thought I would love my XDs when they came out. I couldn't wait to get one. Now I can't get near what I want for it on the open market so it mostly sits in my safe. It is great for summer carry though, I just hate shooting it. I shouldn't have gotten the 45.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My XDs 45 is one sweet CCW pistol that is firmly in my carrying rotation. I carried my Xd Tactical the other day under a t shirt in 90 degree weather with no problem and nobody fretted about it if it printed because that is a personal problem ...not mine.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My EDC is an XDm 9mm compact - 3.8" in a Raw Dog Tactical IWB - no issues. No tucked in shirts. No tight polo shirts...I almost never carry my XDS .45 3.3" as I can't stand the way it shoots (or, the way I handle how it shoots). It's a safe queen. Also don't carry the XDm .45 4.5"! Way tooooo big! :)

Peace,
Michael J.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts