Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the new XDm 9mm will handle 9mm +p, and 9mm +p+ ? There is nothing in the manual. Don't plan on using it as a steady diet, but wouldn't mind having it for carry and at home. Would appreciate any help.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
I know that the regular XD's can handle +P ammo so I would think XDm's do as well. If you cant find any info call Springfield and ask them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've already run a couple of hundred rounds of +P's through mine. No problems. Gun is showing virtually no wear after about 400 rounds total through it.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Don't know for sure on "light" loads, but the 124gr +P (GoldDot) and 124gr +P+ (HydrShok) will function 100% perfectly in your M.

ALA you're using decent quality ammo, you should have no problems.

HTH, TRM

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Don't know for sure on "light" loads, but the 124gr +P (GoldDot) and 124gr +P+ (HydrShok) will function 100% perfectly in your M.

ALA you're using decent quality ammo, you should have no problems.

HTH, TRM
This may be a dumb question, but today I bought my first box of GoldDot 124 +P. I didn't look at the box that the guy at the GS handed me until I was at home. It says its for short barrel (2 inch according to the box). Will this present a problem in firing in the 4.5 inch barrel.

To any,
Has anyone tried Hornaday TAP in thier gun? The prices are more affordable than GoldDot and Hyrashock and you get 5 more rounds.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
This may be a dumb question, but today I bought my first box of GoldDot 124 +P. I didn't look at the box that the guy at the GS handed me until I was at home. It says its for short barrel (2 inch according to the box). Will this present a problem in firing in the 4.5 inch barrel.

To any,
Has anyone tried Hornaday TAP in thier gun? The prices are more affordable than GoldDot and Hyrashock and you get 5 more rounds.
Where on the box does it say for 2" barrels? I have a box of 124gr +P's I just gave one of my shooting buddies (and it's the stuff I normally shoot in my P7's), and I don't remember seeing that little tid bit of info anywhere. Certainly not doubting you; I've just never seen it, but maybe I need to look closer. AND, since it states that, IMHO I'd say you do NOT want to use it in your M; although, again, I'm not 100% sure.

AFA TAP ammo, it's real good stuff. If you can get 25's, cheaper no less, then by all means, get some.

·
Registered
174 Posts

Are you sure that's what it says? Or does it say that the ballistics that they provide for it are from a 2 inch barrel?

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Look along the long side of the box. On mine it reads, "Gold Dot Short Barrel Personal Protection...maximize optimum expansion in handguns with 2 inch barrels."

My problem is that it GS cannot accept returns on ammo apparently "by law." And this stuff isn't cheap. I'm hoping that it will not cause damage if fired. If it will, I've got some Gold Dot to sell to anyone with a 2" barrel.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

To any,
You should be fine with short barrel ammo. They just provide better ballistics out of shorter barrels. Standard +p ammo doesn't make a huge difference in short barrels because, from what I understand, all of the powder doesn't burn, so you don't get the best performance from a +p round. Here's a direct quote from the Speer/CCI website:

Speer® LE Gold Dot® Short Barrel Duty Ammunition

Packing a short barrel once meant less velocity and less reliable expansion. Speer has created an entire category of specialized ammunition designed specifically for back-up guns. Gold Dot Short Barrel was introduced in 2004 and designed from the ground up to work in 2-inch barrels. We redesigned select Gold Dot bullets to make the cavity larger for reliable expansion at the reduced velocities common to short barrel handguns. You also get less "kick" to keep you on target when wielding sharp snapping .357 and .44 Magnum revolvers. And if a semi-auto is your gun of choice, our offerings are ideal for expansion in barrels as short as three inches. Available in 9mm +P, 38 Special +P, 357 Magnum, 40 S&W, 44 Magnum and 45 Auto.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
My problem is that it GS cannot accept returns on ammo apparently "by law." And this stuff isn't cheap. I'm hoping that it will not cause damage if fired. If it will, I've got some Gold Dot to sell to anyone with a 2" barrel.
That's not a "law"; simply store policy. Pretty much any store that sells ammo (and guns) will say NO returns. You gotta' do that for the clown shoes out there (who more often than not shouldn't have guns to begin with :rolleyes: ); you'd be surprised at some of the BS people come up with for wanting to return guns and ammo.

IIWY, I'd call the store, tell 'em you just bought said ammo not realizing the specified barrel length on the box and request an exchange for the same, but in standard length. If it's a store that values your patronage, I'm sure they'll realize it was a simple mistake and grant you an exchange, or at the very least, store credit.

HTH, TRM

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
You should be fine with short barrel ammo. They just provide better ballistics out of shorter barrels. Standard +p ammo doesn't make a huge difference in short barrels because, from what I understand, all of the powder doesn't burn, so you don't get the best performance from a +p round. Here's a direct quote from the Speer/CCI website:

Speer® LE Gold Dot® Short Barrel Duty Ammunition

Packing a short barrel once meant less velocity and less reliable expansion. Speer has created an entire category of specialized ammunition designed specifically for back-up guns. Gold Dot Short Barrel was introduced in 2004 and designed from the ground up to work in 2-inch barrels. We redesigned select Gold Dot bullets to make the cavity larger for reliable expansion at the reduced velocities common to short barrel handguns. You also get less "kick" to keep you on target when wielding sharp snapping .357 and .44 Magnum revolvers. And if a semi-auto is your gun of choice, our offerings are ideal for expansion in barrels as short as three inches. Available in 9mm +P, 38 Special +P, 357 Magnum, 40 S&W, 44 Magnum and 45 Auto.
I too read searched the website. In looking at the ballistics of the bullet, the gr and powder should be the same. I did notice that the muzzle velocity was lower on the Short Barrel load which is most likely due to the shorter barrel. I don't think there is anything to worry about. Just reacted before I did the proper research.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I too read searched the website. In looking at the ballistics of the bullet, the gr and powder should be the same. I did notice that the muzzle velocity was lower on the Short Barrel load which is most likely due to the shorter barrel. I don't think there is anything to worry about. Just reacted before I did the proper research.
The short barrel disclaimer is nothing to worry about in running the ammo through a normal length barrel. Shooting shorter barrels usually results in lower velocities since the bullet has less time/distance to accelerate before exiting the barrel. Since +P ammo is loaded to higher pressures, the initial acceleration of the bullet is higher and offsets the short barrel handicap somewhat.

Shooting any ammo from a normal/long barrel as compared to a short barrel just means that you're getting more efficiency from the powder charge.

BTW: Always check with a technical or engineering representative of the firearm manufacturer before using +P or +P+ ammunition.

-Frank

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Went to the range and put 20 rds of the Gold Dot short barrel through just fine. You all were right, not a single issue.

The more I shoot this gun the more I love it! Tried some Blazer Brass for the first time(target stuff fro Walmart). Seemed to have less muzzle flash then the WWB. Not sure about where yall are at, but Walmart went up $3 in the price of WWB in a week.

This has me considering loading my own target ammo. Anyone out there loading thier own? Does it really save you a considerable amount?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack a thread.

·
Registered
75 Posts

To any,
The short barrel Gold Dots will fire fine out of any gun. Short barrel guns are finicky about shooting ammo made for longer barrels but longer barrel guns will shoot ammo for short barrel guns. How much did you pay for the Short Barrel ammo? It usually costs more than regular ammo. If you happen to have a subcompact I'd save the short barrel ammo for that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
"bumping" a really old thread but with what I feel was overlooked information.

I am not an expert and don't pretend to be, however I feel that the issue at heart is the rate at which gunpowder is burned. A shorter barrel provides less time for the powder to burn and "push" the bullet, once the bullet leaves a short barrel more powder is burned but it doesn't impart force upon said bullet. With specific short barrel ammo the powder selected burns at a faster rate imparting all the force possible to the foward momentum of said bullet.

Since most bullets that are "short barrel" bullets are +p/+p+ it could however be simply hotter loads intended to impart more momentum to the bullets while still having powder burn uselessly once the bullet has left the barrel.

Again I am ANYTHING other than an expert but hopefully this will lead to useful knowledge or useful correction(s).

·
Registered
263 Posts
Called SA about this. They said all xd's are rated to shoot +p and +p+ but not on a steady diet. On occasion for practice of your sd ammo it's fine.

But just get 147gr and not worry about it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts