Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking a new one up today.

Any pointers on breaking it in? Or just general pointers about the pistol? I will likely use some NATO rounds to break it in, as I've read they are higher pressure and will work it a little harder!

:D

I've been waiting for this pistol for quite a while. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Pick it up, clean it, shoot it, repeat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
No break in required for my 5.25. 1000 rounds of CCI 115 gr Blazer through mine, 100% reliable. My goto gun for IDPA now...got rid of all the Glocks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I got my BiTone today. Thought there would be a green fiber tube in with it. It has a long thin orange fiber tube and no details on it's use.

Can't wait to shoot it!!! All my blackhawk holsters fit it.

(trying to figue out how to post pic. I created an album for it.)

FishNDoogie

·
Registered
589 Posts
You are cleared to "shoot away", now carry on.

Seriously, you should have no issues with the gun. It would be advisable to have some practice time with the gun before using it in IDPA or USPSA. You will want to have a feel of when the trigger breaks and resets and where do the sights point. Magazine can sometimes casue issues, so make sure you have rounds through each mag to inusre they are reliable and function.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry, off topic a bit. Where are you finding the 5.25? No local dealers here have it. Only place I have seen it is at Buds and on Gun Broker.

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
Sorry, off topic a bit. Where are you finding the 5.25? No local dealers here have it. Only place I have seen it is at Buds and on Gun Broker.
Both Springer Precision and Powder River Precision have them in stock now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you Dacsoft.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Trying to find night sights to put on mine. Any suggestions?
I doubt anyone is making night sights for the 5.25 yet. Eventually, someone may make a front only (or a front night sight for the 4.5 may work) but I wouldn't think the market for an adjustable night sight to replace the 5.25 rear sight is very large.

·
Registered
786 Posts
try Sigsight they fit on my XD9 Service.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I wouldn't think the market for an adjustable night sight to replace the 5.25 rear sight is very large.
Is the adjustable rear replaceable though, even if that means with sights that may be fixed? I've never worked with adjustable rears on a handgun, so I am unsure of how they attach to the slide.

The reason I am asking is that I'm not sure I like not having the two dots on the rear sight pictured HERE, which is the only thing really holding me back from ordering one from my dealer at this time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any advice on buying on line versus locally? I don't mind paying a little more to keep my money in the town I live,, and BASS Pro Shops opens 2 miles from me next week.. Not sure if they will have any.. but I've heard they do have a shooting range...

I think I'm leaning on the 5.25 vx the 4.5 and the bitone.. I don't sell my guns, when I buy them I keep them.. so a little more cash now means nothing over 30 years. IMO..

I know I have to pay and exchage fee of 25.00 at one store, but it still may offset the tax savings... just not sure what to do if I have issues with the gun. decisions decisions..

This will be my first semi-auto.. been shooting 357 revolvers.... anxious to get one of these..

·
Registered
121 Posts
Any advice on buying on line versus locally? I don't mind paying a little more to keep my money in the town I live,, and BASS Pro Shops opens 2 miles from me next week.. Not sure if they will have any.. but I've heard they do have a shooting range...

I think I'm leaning on the 5.25 vx the 4.5 and the bitone.. I don't sell my guns, when I buy them I keep them.. so a little more cash now means nothing over 30 years. IMO..

I know I have to pay and exchage fee of 25.00 at one store, but it still may offset the tax savings... just not sure what to do if I have issues with the gun. decisions decisions..

This will be my first semi-auto.. been shooting 357 revolvers.... anxious to get one of these..
I always feel it is better to find a good dealer, might be slightly higer than online but if he wants my business he will keep the prices resonable and the service excellent.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is it necessary to clean an XD out of the box prior to shooting it? I have never cleaned my pistols until after shooting them first.
I always do a simple breakdown of a pistol before shooting it for the first time. I clean off the original grease & oil and then put my own on it that I plan on using for the life of the pistol.

It's never been necessary - I just want to know what the internals look & feel like before I start to use a gun.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Am getting my 5.25 45acp xdm Monday, hopefully, Ordered it from Powder River, $750.00 for black on black, They won't do you wrong.:)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Trying to find night sights to put on mine. Any suggestions?
Sorry, I'm confused, why do you want night sights on your competition gun?

Is the adjustable rear replaceable though, even if that means with sights that may be fixed? I've never worked with adjustable rears on a handgun, so I am unsure of how they attach to the slide.

The reason I am asking is that I'm not sure I like not having the two dots on the rear sight pictured HERE, which is the only thing really holding me back from ordering one from my dealer at this time.
Try it for a few hundred rounds, it actually makes it easier to track the front sight.

·
Registered
38 Posts

Why not? 'Competition' is only a name and what the gun is optimised for. My XD9 is a 'Service', but I am not 'Serving'. Many use the XD/m 'Tactical' for competition, not for Combat.
I have a 'Guide' gun, but will never be a bear guide;) But it's a darn fine piece for SD against bears.

The gun may not necessarily be only used for competition. 20 rounds of 9mm in a gun you are intimately familiar with and can put rapid, accurate rounds through makes for a fine bedside HD or SD gun. Not everyone has the benefit (cash) to spend $800 on a gun that they will ONLY use for competition.

Depending who you go with (sight maker) some night sights are more visible than fiber in medocre light (cloudy days).

·
Registered
148 Posts

Why not? 'Competition' is only a name and what the gun is optimised for. My XD9 is a 'Service', but I am not 'Serving'. Many use the XD/m 'Tactical' for competition, not for Combat.
I have a 'Guide' gun, but will never be a bear guide;) But it's a darn fine piece for SD against bears.

The gun may not necessarily be only used for competition. 20 rounds of 9mm in a gun you are intimately familiar with and can put rapid, accurate rounds through makes for a fine bedside HD or SD gun. Not everyone has the benefit (cash) to spend $800 on a gun that they will ONLY use for competition.

Depending who you go with (sight maker) some night sights are more visible than fiber in medocre light (cloudy days).
Well, I would just think that if you're going to spend ~$700 on a gun, get the 4.5 that comes with night sights. Why pay a premium for a gun when one of the reasons for the cost is the competition sights?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts