Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I've been reading a lot on this board trying to figure out which xd would be the best for my needs. So far I've decided on the xdm 9mm but I can't decide between the compact or the tactical.

Right now I can't carry most of the places I travel to (work, church etc) but I do want to CC at some point. In Missouri you can travel with a loaded firearm within reach without a ccw permit, so it will stay in my car most of the time I'm out of the house. But it's main purpose will be as a range gun and for uspsa and idpa. This will likely be my only handgun for quite some time and I would like to carry the same gun that I've spent countless hours at the range with.

Also a lot of the threads I've been reading are old and the compact had the full size grip still so it kind of defeated its purpose. Yet the one I held at the store had a short grip with an extension mag. I hated the wobble of the extension mag and I'm not yet comfortable with a two fingered grip. The Pearce grip seems like a logical solution and plan on trying it out the next time I'm at the range. So with all that in mind I have a few questions for you all:

1. I'm 6'1" at 160lbs, would the 4.5" model keep me from carrying comfortably?
2. Would a 3.8" with either style grip be a major disadvantage for production classes in competition?
3. Do any of you with the compact and a Pearce grip have comments about better accuracy or comfort?

Thanks for the advice guys, lots of great info on here.

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
the grip length is actually the harder part of the gun to conceal than the barrel.

I think you could be good with a XDM 3.8" compact, where you can use the flush 13rnd (assuming 9mm) mags for conceal or you can get the mags which have the extender on it to bring it up to full capacity and full grip length (19 rounds of 9mm) for competition. 3.8" is just barely shorter than a full size XD9 4" service. 4.5" XDM only has the full size grip where you can only use the 19 rounders.

·
Registered
403 Posts
There are too many variables to really answer your first question. A lot of people routinely carry fullsize guns, so it's definitely possible. Personally, I got the 4.5 first and carried it fairly comfortably. It would push up awkwardly sometimes when I sat, so I eventually got the Compact.

I do have the Pearce grip. It's great because I didn't have to learn a new grip to use my Compact. It also doesn't compromise concealment at all because it adds no length to the back of the grip, which is the most important part in terms of that.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have the Pearce grip. It's great because I didn't have to learn a new grip to use my Compact. It also doesn't compromise concealment at all because it adds no length to the back of the grip, which is the most important part in terms of that.
Good to know, thanks!

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm with Carlos on this one. I have the Pearce grips on my compact 40 and I love it. It is perfect because I have bigger hands and it allows my pinkie to rest on the grip for added comfort. Plus for $6 you can't beat them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts