Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I finally got to spend some real time at the range with my new XDm.

Here is a picture of my first full magazine. The target is crooked. My shots are all basically in the bottom half. This was a slow aim/fire with now re-holstering between shots unless I went to check the target. I'm shooting from 10 paces.

Then I tried firing off a magazine with my off hand.

Certainly a little more all over the place with my shot pattern.

I did a few more magazines of target practice and then patched up the targets to do some useful practice. This is from a CC draw and three shots then survey the situation. It looks like one hole but there are three shots there.

So here is the rest of the magazine. A few shots are missing... Shooting reminds me a lot of golf. Sometimes you have GREAT shots and some go off into the weeds. Anyway, this is the rest of the magazine doing a draw, three shots, survey the area, holster.

As comparison I did essentially the same routine with my .22lr Sig Mosquito which I've been shooting for several months. I have four 10 round magazines and this target is the same routine as the above (draw, 3 shots, assess, holster). I do three shot groups so I have to do magazine changes.

I'm all over the paper with the .22lr...

I fired 200 rounds through my XDm this trip. 100 of the PMC and 100 of the Winchester. Both seemed to shoot about the same accuracy. I got a lot more smoke out of the Winchester rounds and they got my hands really dirty loading the magazines. So I'll stick with the PMC for now till I can find something comparable for less. Sorry for the blurry photo...

I'm still working out how everything comes together (grip, aim, sights, breathing etc). Once I get much past 10-15 yards I can't even seem to hit the target. Once the range dries up I'll give it another go. The local gun shop recommends I get a cheap laser and work on the trigger pull.

I had to use the targets I usually use for my boys so they can fire from under the covered firing line at my local club. I usually save the high visual targets for rifles but since I couldn't get to the backstop (the water was about a foot deep). I was at the DNR range north of where I usually go and it was still a bit wet. You can see the puddle behind the target.

Here is my closest rifle range which is about 4 miles from where I work so I often stop after work. Kind of my own personal "happy hour". However, this time there was no chance of using this range without chest waders

So, thanks to everyone for sharing their advice on these forums.

I would really like to get some metal targets so I don't have to mess with paper, since much of what I'm trying to accomplish isn't entirely about accuracy but about proficiency.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you right click on the images and open them in a new window or tab they do show. Once I figure out how to make the images work (I've seen the post about using photobucket) I'll fix this post.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It had been a while since I'd taking the XDm out at the range. The .22lr's have been getting all the range time. Well, it's been nice out so I made a trip out after work. I forgot how easy this gun is to shoot. I didn't have much time so it was only one magazine.

I set up the target out 7 yards. The first 10 shots were taking time to focus on the front sight. They were all slightly low and to the left but very close grouping. The last 9 were draw, 3 shots, assess, re-holster, repeat. Now I can't wait to get out to the range again.

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you want to save the high vis targets try using paper plates. I use a large sharpie to draw a center dot. Then take several of them and staple them up. Two hundred plates cost $1.86 around here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts