Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still trying to make a decision over the XDM 9mm 3.8 and 4.5. This will be my first hand gun purchase. Although I have not shot either one, I like the look of the 3.8 and more importantly, it feels better in my hand. The 3.8 compact is not an option because I will not be carrying it concealed. My main concern is the accuracy in shooting. While the gun will be for home defense, I would also like to shoot it at the range, and if I get proficient, competitive shooting. I just need to know I will not be losing anything in the way of accuracy by going with the shorter gun. If I am, I may just have to settle for the 4.5.

If I decide to go concealed, I will appropriate my wife's handgun (lol). She is choosing the Glock 19 because she has some arthritis in her hands and can't pull back the slide on the Springfield. It isn't a problem with the Glock. That is the only reason she is going with it. We both like the feel of the XDM because we have small hands and the grips are somewhat narrower, plus there is the option of backstraps. We also like the double safety on the XDM over the Glock.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You will lose some accuracy, but there are very few shooters in the world that will be able to tell the difference with out some sort of vice so the pistol won't move.

The compact with a full size magazine, and xtension is just like the full size 3.8, except the bottom of the magazine feels a bit "loose". If you are thinking that you want to CC it might just be smarter to get the compact now.

The slide on my XDm eased up quite a bit after 500 rounds or so, just so you have that information. Glocks are fine fire arms, I just didn't like the ergonomics of them myself. The gen 4 glocks also have the back strap option.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I have not shot the 4.5 but a lot of people say they shoot them equally as well if not shoot the 3.8 better. I'm sure you'll be able to shoot either very well with practice. I'm sure your wife will like the Glock 19. If she went with the Gen 4 she would have the option of back straps but any generation Glock 19 is a good choice. I'd also have to say the best safety you two have is yourselves. Keeping the gun always pointed in a safe direction and keeping your finger off the trigger is sooo important.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
I don't know what's better for you, but I have the 3.8. It's in the compact version, but they're the same except for the length of the grip. This was my first handgun purchase and I love it. The 3.8, for me, is extremely accurate and easy to use. Recoil is easily managed. Either way, you're getting a great pistol and I'm sure you'll feel the same way.

By the way, the slide on the XDM gets a lot easier to pull after you put about 500-600 rounds through it. Mine was very tough at first, now it's easy. That goes for the mags too. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
You will lose some accuracy, but there are very few shooters in the world that will be able to tell the difference with out some sort of vice so the pistol won't move.

The compact with a full size magazine, and xtension is just like the full size 3.8, except the bottom of the magazine feels a bit "loose". If you are thinking that you want to CC it might just be smarter to get the compact now.

The slide on my XDm eased up quite a bit after 500 rounds or so, just so you have that information. Glocks are fine fire arms, I just didn't like the ergonomics of them myself. The gen 4 glocks also have the back strap option.
Agree 100%. The xtension feels, during shooting, the same as if it wasn't the mag. It's very well designed. What I did is I ordered an extra 19 rd xtension mag and an extra 13 rd mag. I use the 19 rd mags in my home and will use the 13 rd ones once I get my CCW (and am visiting a state that's not commieworld).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The reason I ruled out the 3.8 compact, aside from not carrying it concealed, is that on the Springfield Armory website, it lists the 3.8 compact as 6.75 inches, while the 3.8 is listed as 7 inches. I know its only a quarter of an inch, but I was unsure of even that little bit of difference affecting accuracy. For some strange reason also, the smaller gun, 3.8 compact, is listed as actually an ounce heavier than the 3.8.

But thanks for all the input. When you know nothing, every bit of info is helpful.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I recently bought the XDm 9 4.5" for range use and possible ccw. The others are right, it does breakin and operate more easily after several hundred rounds.

I have experimented with an iwb holster (CompTac MTAC), and the comfort is there, (4 oclock position) but the grip size is a bit of a problem. The 19 round capacity is great, but that grip does show a bit like a back brace (my wife says). If I don't tell her, she rarely notices, but I feel self conscious about it.

I love the gun on the range, but I will probably end up getting the XD9sc or the XDm9 3.8 to carry. I love the trigger and everything about the 4.5" model, just the grip is too long to easily conceal.
:)

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have the 4.5 and my wife the 3.8--they are almost identical in most respects. I shoot the 4.5 slightly better but not by much.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm a fan of my 3.8 I have the 5.25, and a friend has the 4.5 Put all three on the range, and none of us notice a difference in accuracy. The 3.8 is definitely easier to conceal, however.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts