Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if there would be any difference in concealment of a 3.8 9mm vs a 4.5 9mm model when using a crossbreed supertuck.

I can't see if there would be any at all.

As comparison, I am 6'4" tall and 245lbs.

Whaddaya think?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Since there's no bottom to the crossbreed, it should work just fine. You are talking about XDs and not an XD and a XDm, right?

HiCap

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Since there's no bottom to the crossbreed, it should work just fine. You are talking about XDs and not an XD and a XDm, right?

HiCap
Correct. I am comparing two XDm 9mm models just different barrel legnths. I know the bottom of the the holster is open allowing both to fit. I am just wondering if the difference of overall body legnth (less than an inch) would make a bit of difference in feel, fit, and concealability.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
It might not be quite as comfortable to sit down with the 4.5 but there shouldn't be any difference in concealment.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ripsnortr, it should work just fine, then. It's like carrying a full sized 1911 or a new Agent with a 3" barrel in a Yaqui slide. The length of the barel shouldn't even bother you when you sit; I'm 5'8" and I can't feel the difference, and both sizes conceal equally. Good lock.

HiCap

·
Registered
408 Posts
Grip length and not barrel length (within reason) is what makes a gun concealable. Slide width also plays a factor, but mostly in comfort. The difference between a 3.8 and 4.5 inch barrel should make no difference in a CrossBreed if the grip is the same length.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like we are all thinking the same way. The grip is the same for both so I doubt I would see difference between the two.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I carry a 3.8 at 7-8 o'clock (left handed) with full forward cant and also carry my wallet in my left back pocket. The biggest issue i find is that the barrel on my 3.8 ends only an inch or two from the top of my back pocket, making pulling my wallet out slightly awkward (I definitely won't be getting pick-pocketed lol), which I've gotten used to now, but I'd imagine with a 4.5 it'd be almost impossible to carry it where I do right now and keep my wallet in the same pocket (where I've been carrying my wallet since I was a kid, that's not going to change lol).

·
Registered
806 Posts
It depends on your size, but my 4.5" bites me in the arse when I sit down in my car occasionally. I never had it happen w/my XD SC's or my XDM Compact(3.8")

I need to take a new picture, but I remodeled the bathroom I had the good light in. Here's an old photo of my XDM 4.5" and my XD SC in a Kholster(similar to a Crossbreed)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts