Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a hair away from purchasing first handgun. As evidenced by other posts I have made on here, I'm asking questions to be absolutely sure I'm happy with my purchase. Although as many have said, "Don't worry so much, you will end up buying more than one anyway." LOL. But here's my confusion: People keep saying there is no difference between the XDM 9mm 3.8 and 3.8 compact other than the two different mag size option. However, on Springfield's website the 3.8 is listed as overall length of 7 inches while the 3.8 compact is listed as 6.75, the difference of a quarter of an inch. Also, the 3.8 weight empty is 27.5 ounces, while the 3.8 compact is listed as 28 ounces with smaller mag and 29 with the larger mag. So, according to the website there are other differences than just the small/large mag option. I am probably straining at a gnat here, but has anyone noticed this?

I don't imagine this is going to effect the performance of the gun, will it? I prefer the longer look, but that's just ascetics. Tomorrow night I'm going to a range to shoot the xd 9mm, with 4 inch barrel. They don't have an xdm there. If I really like it, then there's more decisions to make. lol. But I like the fact the xdm's come with adjustable backstraps as I have small hands. I would assume that the guns I have held in the store all come with the medium strap on them. They fit me ok, much better than the Glock or Beretta I held, but I'm hoping the smaller backstrap wil feel even better. Does anyone know if the medium is indeed the one that is put on the gun by Springfield when purchased? If the small is already on there, it might make more sense for me to go with the xd which is a whole lot cheaper as the backstrap is one of the main reasons I would go with the XDM.

By the way, I have a price quoted me from a local gun shop of 589.00 out the door for the XDM 9mm 3.8. How does that stack up with what others have paid?

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
The difference in lenght may just be how they measure the grip bump, compact may be shorter with the smaller mag. If you intend to CC i'd go for the compact(grip length causes more problem than barrel for carry.
either way you'll enjoy the XDM 3.8

Stay Safe!

·
Registered
223 Posts
what are you gonna do with your first gun . The XDM is a bear to carry .
It is a great gun I have a XDM 3.8 COMPACT 9MM .Good carry but large . The XDM is a good range gun . I carry most of the time A S&W 340 pd a snub 357 a bear to shoot or a Kel-Tec PF9 .Both are not fun to shoot but will get you out of trouble and under a lb.

JOHN

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
There is no difference in the 4.5 and 3.8(s) as far as the frame is concerned. The difference is in the top end, slide, barrel, etc. between them. The 3.8 are the same except for the chopped grip and remolded grip in doing the chop. I would lean towards the Compact if you ever plan on a carry or conceal gun.

The XD(M)s come with the #2 (Medium) backstrap installed, so yes you can go larger or smaller. And Yes that is a pretty good price.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I have about decided then on the 4.5. If I want to carry concealed, my wife is getting the glock 19 as she has some arthritis in her hands and has trouble with the slide on the XDM. The glock just fits her better. It is a smaller gun than the XDM. I have vacillated over the 3.8 and 4.5. The xdm I buy will be strictly home defense and range. As I mentioned, if I want to carry concealed right away, I will carry my wife's gun. Later on, when I can afford it, I will consider a conceal that would just be mine. My vacillation has been over wanting an accurate gun for the range, yet not wanting something that feels bulky. I also was some what concerned about the weight of the 4.5.

All opinions are welcome as I am new at this.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the biography of Chesty Puller. Spent 4 years in the Marine Corps.
Hey Semper Fi, Jake and welcome to the forum. 1958-1962 all expense paid vacation to Hawaii for two years.VMF232 the Red Devils.

I have the XDM 9mm compact. I love that gun. I carry my colt 1911 compact. Just can't get away from those big bore shooters. I think my 1911 is easier to shoot than most 9's and 40's.

I also have a couple of biographical books about Chesty Puller. My uncle served with him in New river ,The canal and caught one on Pelileu.

You can learn a lot on the forums. Lots of good guys here.

George

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
If it's for the range and home defense then I would go with the 4.5. The Glock will work well for a CC until your wife gets tired of you always having it. Then you will need to shop for something else!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
what are you gonna do with your first gun . The XDM is a bear to carry .
It is a great gun I have a XDM 3.8 COMPACT 9MM .Good carry but large . The XDM is a good range gun . I carry most of the time A S&W 340 pd a snub 357 a bear to shoot or a Kel-Tec PF9 .Both are not fun to shoot but will get you out of trouble and under a lb.

JOHN
I'd rather carry a "large" compact..it is a COMPACT :rolleyes:, than a pos Kel-junk.
The COMPACT is not a "bear to carry" to anyone but this guy. He has to either be 99lbs soaking wet, the worst holster in existence or have hollow skeletal bones if it so difficult to carry. If you can carry a pocket knife, you can carry a XDm compact. If you carry a cell phone, you can carry a XD COMPACT. If you can carry a Kel-junk, you can carry a 3.8 COMPACT. It is POLYMER, not depleted uranium. It doesn't even weigh 29 ounces! ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts