Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, let me apologize in advance for asking something that's already been asked and answered lots of times. I know that asking for help in choosing between these two has been asked and answered many times — here, on the S&W forum, The Firing Line, and elsewhere — because I've read them all. I doubt that anyone has anything new to say, but since I STILL can't make up my mind I can't help asking, both here and on the other forums too.

I have a Glock 26, and and am interesting in moving on (and perhaps up), adding a full size, and ... well, do I really need a reason? Either would be used for trips to the range and bedside stand duty. If I carry, it will not have to be concealed — I'll put it in a camera bag or computer bag or, on a rare occasion, in an oversized, baggy coat pocket.

I won't have the opportunity to shoot either, but I've fondled both a very nice bitone XDM 9mm and and also very nice M&P 9mm (no mag safety), side by side, at my favorite local shop. I was able to (easily) switch the M&P grit to the small backstrap while the XDM had the medium. I'm sure if I get the latter I'll switch to the small, but even though the grip comparison was largely apples to oranges I admit to being surprised that the M&P didn't feel quite as much better than the XDM as I'd expected. But still, better, even a little better, is still better.

Dry firing both, I couldn't tell enough difference between the triggers to have a preference (though that probably says more about me than about the two guns).

In part because it was a bitone, which I don't care about one way or the other, the XDM was almost $200 more expensive than the M&P ($688 vs. 499, before any bargaining, so I may be able to get one or both of these down a little).

If the Obamanuts pass new anti-"assault" weapon legislation, either/both of these pistols would probably almost qualify as a good investment (as I write the market has fallen over 400 points today; so maybe anything out of the market would be a good investment). But I don't think I can afford to get both right now (see market comment above).

So, with apologies again for imposing on you all with an old question, I'll appreciate what anyone has to say.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I was considering an M&P 40 compact and an XD40SC. Not the same as you are but here is what I decided. I got the XD. I have an XD40 in service length (you don't) so I can swap mags, and I liked the grip safety on the XD. I am sometimes carrying in a fatboy maxpedition pack and find that I like the extra safety of the the grip safety when I am pushing the gun into the pack. I know that if the grip safety is not pressed, should the trigger get hit just right, it wont fire.

Cant say that about the M&P.

Also, I have shot both an XDM in 9 and 40 and not the M&P, but the XDM and all XDs are sweet guns.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have owned three M&P 9mm guns. The compact, full size and the Pro. I now only own the 9c and the Pro. I now own two XDm's, a 40 and a 9mm. The XDM trigger can be made so very nice. Mine were done by Powder River Precision.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have owned 2 M&P's. I cant really say anything bad about them. They felt good, shot pretty good but I didnt keep them.

The trigger on my two XDM's are wonderful right out of the box. I am VERY pleased with the XDM line.

Now I know spending $200 more on XDM may have you a bit more concerened but get what you heart desires if you can. Do I think the XDM is worth the extra bucks? Absolutely. The fit and finish is fantastic and everything is very smooth. And I like the look of the XD/XDMs more. Plus it feels better to me than my M&Ps did. Again the M&P is a good gun. But I obviously prefer the XDM and the regular XD to the M&P.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the same problem making up my mind between an XDM 9 and a M&P PRO. (I use my gun for shooting games) I went with the XDM, however out of the box I believe the PRO is better gun. It has a better trigger and Fiber optic sights. I have a PRP trigger in my XDM which is excellent and Dawson sights on the way. I am planning to buy the PRO for my wife. I do not believe you will go wrong with either gun.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also was looking at the M&P compact and the XD Subcompact .40 for a carry gun. I tried those and a Glock. I ruled Glock out immediatly. Then it was M&P or XD. After 100 more rounds through both I just liked the XD better. Felt smoother. Fit my hand better. I shot it more accurate and it was a little smaller. Another big factor for me was the M&P had no safety at all.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have both. Is it going to be for carry or home defense. For home defense its the XDM with its 19 rounds capacity. For carry i would go with the M&P, which is much lighter and therefore more comfortable.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
i've spent plenty of time behind XD9's, and some behind an XD45 or two..
i havnt tried the XDm though.

i got to shoot my neighbors M&P 45 at the range a couple weeks ago... i loved it, that trigger is awesome on it, and recoil was very manageable.

if was going to purchase another striker fired weapon anytime soon.. it'd be an M&P.

cheers

·
Registered
72 Posts
i've spent plenty of time behind XD9's, and some behind an XD45 or two..
i havnt tried the XDm though.

i got to shoot my neighbors M&P 45 at the range a couple weeks ago... i loved it, that trigger is awesome on it, and recoil was very manageable.

if was going to purchase another striker fired weapon anytime soon.. it'd be an M&P.

cheers
Oppppps you better go to S&W forum, go,go on now GIT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts