Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering both the new XDM-9 and the slightly less new H&K P30, and would appreciate hearing the opinions of anyone who faced, or is facing, that same choice.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Davidson's Catalog Item Detail=

Well, the H&K P30 is $240+ more money. And holds 4 less rnds. in the mag. Also, consider that SA will send you 2 more mags & a mag pouch for FREE. "Gear-Up Promo". And, The XD-M comes with a pretty decent paddle holster, 2 mags, mag pouch and a LIFETIME Warranty. Me? I would buy the XDM-9. It's your money though.
Gear-Up Promo link:Springfield Armory Gear Up Promo Site
Welcome to XDTalk! From another Virginian!

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have one of each.

I don't think you will find enough difference to make up the extra cost of the H&K --the XDm shoots great and is the best "back on target" gun I own. It comes with two free mags. Made in Croatia ---where is that?

The H&K has the mag release on the trigger guard, if the slide is locked back it does release and chamber a round by inserting the mag (firmly,not necessarily slam'ed) ---side and back grip panels --you can tailor left to right side swells. ---all in all great gun. German craftsmanship.

If I could only keep one it would be a very hard decision for me to pick the one I would keep ----but since I could sell the used P30 for more than a used XDm, I guess I'd end up keeping the XDm.

so in summary I am dead in the middle ---you can't go wrong with either

·
Registered
35 Posts
My only complaints with the P30 were the controls and trigger placement. The controls were not in the same place as other guns I own and my finger rubbed on the trigger guard. I did not like the take down. I don't like having to take parts off to get the gun apart. The P30 certainly shoots well but I am very, very happy with my XDM's and wouldn't part with either of them.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
The H&K is one of the best feeling and pointing pistols out there. But, it is still an H&K. The good: as reliable and robust as anything made. The bad: triggers are poor (in my opinion), funky de-cocker, zero customer service, and very exspensive and limited accessories (mags, spare parts, etc). The XDM wins out on price, customer service, accessories, and trigger.

ranburr

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
While XDfan4ever does make some strong points for the XDM, he is not giving you a complete picture of the P30.

First off, I'm not sure where he's getting his price (probably basing it on the full MSRP), but the P30 is NOT $240+ more than the XDM. CDNN has the P30 LS (the more expensive of the two P30's) for $769. That's only about $160 more than the blued XDM, and only a little over $100 more than a bi-tone goes for.

The guns themselves, although they do share a polymer-type frame, are completely different pistols. The XDM is a DAO/dual-action type trigger set, whereas the P30 is a DA/SA Variant 3 trigger group with a rear frame placed decocker, like that on the P2000.

The P30 also has standard luminova-type night sights (standard) rather than triple white dot, and has (IMESHO) a better POA/POI placement.

And though the XDM's redesigned frame with interchangable backstraps is drastic improvement over the standard XD, the P30 not only has interchangable backstraps, it also sports interchangable grip panels that give it a superb, comfortable feel for any shooter.

While the XDM does have an ambidextrous magazine release, the P30 also has ambidextrous slide controls, which can be essential in one-handed shooting, especially if the primary firing hand/arm takes damage.

Rather than the non-captive single spring guide rod assembly the XDM has, the P30 has an additional buffer (the "HK recoil reduction system") which will reduce felt recoil by as much as 30%, resulting in a more pleasant shooting experience in general, but also much faster re-aquisition of target and tighter shot placement.

Quality of an HK pistol is well above about any other handgun (at least in a comparable price range, but especially over ones below them), but that's also what makes them cost-prohibitive to some; if cost isn't an issue, then absolutely get the P30. It offers far more for the money. However, if you really need five more rounds (over the already 15+1 you get), then you clearly need more practice, not more magazines.

Lastly, ALL HK pistols also come with a Lifetime Warranty, as do most modern handguns from just about every other manufacturer.

Just my .02...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Personally, I think the P30 loses a bit of versatility from the P2000 and USP models. You no longer have as many useful (I think there are 7 variants). There is a decocker variant (v3), but in the USP and P2000 series, you could carry a la 1911-style. So, if you're strictly comparing the XD(m)-9 vs the P30, I think I'd go with the XD(m). I happen to have a USPc .45 and think it's a nice gun, but I'm not a huge fan of the magazine release system that HK has implemented in the latest series of guns (Walther did the same with the PPS). It just isn't natural-feeling to have the magazine release on the rear of the trigger guard and requiring you to press/pull downward. I personally believe that if you're looking to develop muscle memory for utilizing a firearm in a tactical situation (which isn't everyone's use, of course), you will fall short with the HK design, unless you only use it (and no other pistols) to shoot and carry. Just my $0.02. Happy shopping! :)

·
Registered
29,763 Posts
Having had an XD-M (given it was a .40, but...same thing really) and found it lacking, I'd go with the P30.

I like prefer the HK-style mag release that the P7M-/USP/P2000/P30/HK45 sereis have over the original 1911-style; I like that I can drop a mag with my trigger finger without having to shift my grip, like I do on the traditional mag releases.

I also really, really, really like how the P30 feels in my hand. It's a natural pointer.

Triggers...actually, both trigggers could be improved. It's a toss-up between the two, with, perhaps a slight edge to the P30...if you like DA/SA.

19 vs 15 round capacity...eh. To quote Lord John Emdall in Buckaroo Banzai..."So what. Big deal.".

And, HK's non-LEO/M customer service has improved massively in the past couple of years.

So, all in all, go for the P30.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have both and the determing factor for which to get should be wether you want the gun more for carry or more for home defence. If you need a bedside gun, then i would go with the XDM. Due to its higher round capacity. But for carry the HK P30 is obviously a better choice due to its smaller size and wieght. Other than that, they are both very reliable, accurate and fun to shoot.

·
Registered
506 Posts
My only complaints with the P30 were the controls and trigger placement. The controls were not in the same place as other guns I own and my finger rubbed on the trigger guard. I did not like the take down. I don't like having to take parts off to get the gun apart. The P30 certainly shoots well but I am very, very happy with my XDM's and wouldn't part with either of them.
There is no taking parts off the P30 to take it down. You may be thinking about the HK45.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The guns themselves, although they do share a polymer-type frame, are completely different pistols. The XDM is a DAO/dual-action type trigger set, whereas the P30 is a DA/SA Variant 3 trigger group with a rear frame placed decocker, like that on the P2000.
Sorry but the XD and XDM's trigger is not Double Action at all. It is also not single action. It is striker fire - sort of like a Glock. Pulling the trigger finishes cocking it and releases the firing pin. It depends on the motion of the slide to reset the pin and partially cock the gun. If it were DAO, you could pull the trigger twice in a row (with no round in the chamber and the magazine) and it would dry fire twice. I don't mean to call you out but a lot of people are confused about this.:shock:

"Like all XDs, the .45 ACP Compact features a unique trigger, which, strictly speaking, wouldn't be classified as double action only. Springfield refers to the action as the Ultra Safety Assurance system. The internal striker is loaded when the slide cycles. The result is a trigger with a relatively short arc; the break is remarkably consistent and measures (usually) around eight pounds or so. It certainly isn't as crisp as a single action, but it is consistent, which solves the usual problem with conventional double-action/ single-action autos--namely having to navigate a heavy, spongy pull and a light, spongy one."-Sizing Down, Powering Up

"Let us define some terms. The XD is a striker fired, short recoil, locked breech, automatic pistol with a polymer frame. It uses the age-old Browning tilting barrel design that is still used today on the majority of autoloading pistols in 9mm or larger calibers. This is a good thing. The design wouldn't still be in use if someone had come up with a better idea.
The term "striker" may not be familiar to all, but it is a very important factor in the design. The striker is analogous to a firing pin, for both of them strike the primer and make the gun go bang, but how they do it is different. If we use a system such as the 1911 for comparison, the firing pin is struck by the hammer, which is powered by the mainspring. There is no direct connection between the firing pin and hammer or any other part of the firing mechanism. When the hammer hits the firing pin it is driven forward against the tension of the firing pin spring.
Strikers work differently. The striker is drawn back against the tension of a spring and held there until it's released to fly forward and strike the primer. They've been around in pistols since the dawn of the 20th century and long before that in bolt action rifles. But when we try to attach ordinary definitions they don't always fit very well. Three terms: single-action, double-action and double-action only are used to define how pistols are fired. They are also a mighty source of confusion. Striker firing mechanisms complicate things a bit, and although we try to make them conform to the same definitions they don't exactly fit. I wish we didn't spend so much time trying to stuff things into pigeonholes.
Some self appointed experts have proclaimed striker firing mechanisms are unsafe because you're running around with a cocked single-action gun. Obviously, their knowledge of firearms, vast though it may be, doesn't include knowledge of virtually all centerfire rifles and shotguns, which have actions that conform, quite precisely, to the single-action definition. Many of them are striker fired too. Look at bolt action rifles and tell me that the firing pin is not a striker. We routinely go afield with shotguns and rifles that are loaded with the safety engaged and think nothing of it. How then, can a striker fired pistol be more or less safe than a bolt-action rifle or pump shotgun with an operating safety?
Is It Or Not?
Some folks call the XD a single-action but say the Glock is double-action only. How they get to that conclusion is beyond me, because there is little difference in how the two guns work. Is it a single-action? Yes, say some. No, say others. Two points come to mind: Does it matter? Who cares? My answer to the first is, not really; and to the second; probably those who have the most to lose from viable competition. I guess it all depends on whose ox is being gored."-FEATURE ARTICLES>>>AmericanCopMagazine.com (Great Article!)

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Sorry but the XD and XDM's trigger is not Double Action at all. It is also not single action.
Clearly you missed the fact I also said it was "dual-action", meaning not necessarily DAO, but also not a SA.

I don't care how you want to slice it, but to say an XD or even a Glock is SA is completely untrue. You still have to pull the inner trigger to disengage your safeties to fully squeeze the trigger resulting in engagement of the striker. In case you didn't notice, that's two actions, not one, which by definition makes it "dual" action.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Clearly you missed the fact I also said it was "dual-action", meaning not necessarily DAO, but also not a SA.

I don't care how you want to slice it, but to say an XD or even a Glock is SA is completely untrue. You still have to pull the inner trigger to disengage your safeties to fully squeeze the trigger resulting in engagement of the striker. In case you didn't notice, that's two actions, not one, which by definition makes it "dual" action.
Clearly we both understand how these trigger systems work. What I was attempting to do was point out that the XDs are not double action only. To the novice shooter, the line DAO/dual-action type trigger set doesn't mean much more than DAO. It's much easier to identify the mechanism correctly as striker-fired to avoid confusion. There is enough confusion out there with people thinking that Glocks are DAO (I don't know how this one got started but it's there.) this shouldn't be applied to XD's as well. I did not say that XD's were single action either. I did say that I don't want to call you out, this wasn't meant as a personal attack on you in case you took it that way.
Yes, the striker fired trigger can be considered dual action but let's not call it "double action." The phrase "DAO/dual-action type trigger set" implies that pulling the trigger cocks a hammer before releasing it, or moving the pin or striker in this case. In true double action, all that is needed for a second shot is another pull of the trigger. The striker system we're talking about needs the cycle of the slide to accomplish this.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
TMWNM,

Well, then, it sounds like we're both actually on the same page. So in hindsight for the uninformed (so as not to allow them to be misinformed), I should have worded my original post as DA/dual-action, rather than DAO, as neither the XD (or Glock) is a DAO firing mechanism.

Sorry for any confusion that may have caused; certainly not my intent.

·
Registered
101 Posts
TMWNM,

Well, then, it sounds like we're both actually on the same page. So in hindsight for the uninformed (so as not to allow them to be misinformed), I should have worded my original post as DA/dual-action, rather than DAO, as neither the XD (or Glock) is a DAO firing mechanism.

Sorry for any confusion that may have caused; certainly not my intent.
The only people in the gun world that I do not like are those irresponsible ones who ignore gun safety. You are one of the good ones trying to learn as much as possible.;) I bet 99% if the forum are the good ones, or else they wouldn't be here!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm also considering between the P30 and the XDm for my first gun
I feel uncomfortable with IWB. So if I have to CC, I will get a fannypack for summer or wear a vest in winter. So size isn't a big problem for me.

To me, its more of a price decision. So I'm leaning towards the XDm.

How's the factory sights on both guns? Do I need to upgrade?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I personally feel the single action trigger pull on the HK P30 is way too long. Nothing crisp about it. I have owned and sold a HK USPc, USP full, P2000 and P30 all in 9mm. I do not like the trigger pull and I found on all the models but the P30 the mag release button rubbed the inside of my right middle finger raw while shooting for any extended period of time. I like my XD's better. As well as my Glocks and Sigs. Just my personal opinion, but go with the XDm.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts