Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the range last night and my XDM 9mm, which has about 1,000 rounds through it, jammed up. I was using Winchester factory loads and after firing the gun jammed with the slide back about a 1/4 of an inch (out-of-battery I believe is the term???). I could see brass through the extractor hole and tried to rack the slide but it was really jammed. The trigger would pull back and not engage the firing pin at all. My buddy was eventually able to clear the jam by racking the slide but it took quite a bit of force. When you looked down through the extractor hole it almost looked like there were two rounds jammed in there, but when the jam cleared we only could find one. The edge of the brass on the round was pretty bent up, but I know it wasn't when I loaded the gun so that must have happened from the jam?

Anyways, just curious as to whether anyone has any ideas of why this happened and what did happen. Thanks.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Once you are around tons of guns shootings hundreds of rounds a month, you find this happens quite a bit.

I have seen it happen on many Glocks (nothing against them, they just have the sheer volume in our shooting club) as well as a few other brands. I think more often than not, a round is just slightly malformed, the edge of the case catches on the feeder and with the slide returning at full force, it trashes the case and causes the jam.

Here, Aaron Roberts from Handguns TV at our local shooting club on clearing a jam.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Good learning Video

·
Premium Member
127,411 Posts
Once you are around tons of guns shootings hundreds of rounds a month, you find this happens quite a bit.
I respectfully disagree. I have fired millions of rounds in my life and had only one jam...due to faulty ammunition.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
There have been several posts just recently where the terms 'jammed slide' and 'WWB' have been associated. Inconclusive as to cause/effect - whether was gun or ammo initiated - but usually having to do with bent or deformed cases.

·
Banned
744 Posts
I was at the range last night and my XDM 9mm, which has about 1,000 rounds through it, jammed up. I was using Winchester factory loads and after firing the gun jammed with the slide back about a 1/4 of an inch (out-of-battery I believe is the term???). I could see brass through the extractor hole and tried to rack the slide but it was really jammed. The trigger would pull back and not engage the firing pin at all. My buddy was eventually able to clear the jam by racking the slide but it took quite a bit of force. When you looked down through the extractor hole it almost looked like there were two rounds jammed in there, but when the jam cleared we only could find one. The edge of the brass on the round was pretty bent up, but I know it wasn't when I loaded the gun so that must have happened from the jam?

Anyways, just curious as to whether anyone has any ideas of why this happened and what did happen. Thanks.

This video should help with just about any issue you run into with it not firing.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Semi-Auto pistols, no matter what the make or model, all work the same way for the most part. You pull the trigger which released the hammer or striker to hit the bullet primer which discharges the bullet. The gases from the discharged bullet propels the bullet in one direction and blows back the slide in the other direction which ejects the spent casing and the recoil spring pushes the slide forward which chambers a new round.

Now I know most of the members of the forum already know this but my reason for explaining it the way I did is that semi-auto pistols are mechanical and have moving parts and are subject to fail at some point or another.

There are a lot of variables that would cause a semi-auto to malfunction; whether it is from limp-wristing (not allowing the slide to cycle all the way back to discharge the spent casing) , or using reloaded ammunintion or even running across a bad factory load...These are just a few scenarios but in the end they are made of several moving parts and will eventually malfunction. This does not mean that there is anything wrong with your pistol when this happens. That is why most firearms training classes spend quite a bit of time teaching you how to clear a bad or jammed round.

Now if your pistol is constantly getting jammed then you need to try different ammunition to see if that is the cause or strap on a wrist brace (joking)...if it continues to do so after using different manufacturer rounds then I would have your pistol looked at by a gun smith or bring it to the attention of the pistols manufacturer, as they may not be aware of the problem and could lead to a recall...

I wouldn't be too worried about an occasional malfunction even though I have put over 2,000 (lost count) rounds through my XD(M).40 without one single malfunction....:cool:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi just posted a very similar malfunction in the AMMO CAN thread. The round was not inspected properly both by winchester and me before loading. I could not tap and rack... had to hold the slide with my left hand and slam/grab the grip (all while keeping the muzzle down range) and that cleared it. Needless to say I inspect every round before entering the mag now.
Thanks for the vids too! Always good info!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
agreed.

I like the part where he talks about not looking at it and diagnosing it just beat it til it runs again.

^ makes sense. don't get into habits of reacting other than "tap rack bang"
The guy knows his stuff. "Tap & Rack" king.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Semi-Auto pistols, no matter what the make or model, all work the same way for the most part. You pull the trigger which released the hammer or striker to hit the bullet primer which discharges the bullet. The gases from the discharged bullet propels the bullet in one direction and blows back the slide in the other direction which ejects the spent casing and the recoil spring pushes the slide forward which chambers a new round.

Now I know most of the members of the forum already know this but my reason for explaining it the way I did is that semi-auto pistols are mechanical and have moving parts and are subject to fail at some point or another.

There are a lot of variables that would cause a semi-auto to malfunction; whether it is from limp-wristing (not allowing the slide to cycle all the way back to discharge the spent casing) , or using reloaded ammunintion or even running across a bad factory load...These are just a few scenarios but in the end they are made of several moving parts and will eventually malfunction. This does not mean that there is anything wrong with your pistol when this happens. That is why most firearms training classes spend quite a bit of time teaching you how to clear a bad or jammed round.

Now if your pistol is constantly getting jammed then you need to try different ammunition to see if that is the cause or strap on a wrist brace (joking)...if it continues to do so after using different manufacturer rounds then I would have your pistol looked at by a gun smith or bring it to the attention of the pistols manufacturer, as they may not be aware of the problem and could lead to a recall...

I wouldn't be too worried about an occasional malfunction even though I have put over 2,000 (lost count) rounds through my XD(M).40 without one single malfunction....:cool:

I've also seen it occur from over oiled strikers getting gummed up with residue goo. The residue really gets jammed in there and the little spring that pushes the striker back can't move it in time. The next round comes up and is wedged by the striker sticking out at an angle and it tries to load crooked with a major failure being the result. Clean is good, and while oiled is good everywhere else -- it's bad on the striker.

May also simply be crap ammo with out of spec brass!

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
I've also seen it occur from over oiled strikers getting gummed up with residue goo. The residue really gets jammed in there and the little spring that pushes the striker back can't move it in time. The next round comes up and is wedged by the striker sticking out at an angle and it tries to load crooked with a major failure being the result. Clean is good, and while oiled is good everywhere else -- it's bad on the striker.

May also simply be crap ammo with out of spec brass!

Agreed. I just named a few scenarios as there are many issues that could go wrong. When I first purchased my XDM40, back when they first hit the market, I made the mistake of over oiling the striker pin area. Of course I read a lot of threads and receive advise from several people that this was a no-no and I disassembled the striker pin and cleaned it and ever so lightly oiled it. :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased an XDM 9mm. After only three boxes of ammo, I had a jam like the one described. The round was jammed and I couldn't rack the gun to save my life. I knew what the problem was (I have experienced the same problem on other guns.) but the slam/grab technique in the video worked on the second try. Thanks for a good solution to a not so rare problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
the gun jammed with the slide back about a 1/4 of an inch (out-of-battery I believe is the term???). I could see brass through the extractor hole and tried to rack the slide but it was really jammed. The trigger would pull back and not engage the firing pin at all. My buddy was eventually able to clear the jam by racking the slide but it took quite a bit of force. When you looked down through the extractor hole it almost looked like there were two rounds jammed in there, but when the jam cleared we only could find one. The edge of the brass on the round was pretty bent up, but I know it wasn't when I loaded the gun so that must have happened from the jam?
Had the same thing happen to mine. 4.5" 9mm. Once my LGS got the slide racked, the brass had a small wrinkle on one edge and jammed going in. After checking it, it fired fine the rest of the day.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts