Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
80% frames are becoming more and more popular yet I cant find any for the XDM. I love my XDM but im not a huge fan of plastic... if there was an aluminum 80% frame would anyone other than me buy it?

·
Registered
29,897 Posts
No, I just suspect there’s not a whole lot of people who would be into it.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I don't care what the frame is made of if the pistol is reliable and accurate.

My P07 and P09 are more accurate than any of my steel or aluminum framed CZs.

Would and aluminum frame make the XD/XDM pistols shoot better groups?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't know about aluminum, but there's a reason why polymer has been so popular, and almost every manufacturer makes a poly frame.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know about aluminum, but there's a reason why polymer has been so popular, and almost every manufacturer makes a poly frame.
from a manufacturing stand point I would say that it is far more economical to use polymer for the frame. the price of polymer is significantly lower than aluminum alloys and steel alloys per pound, manufacturing cost of injection mold is extremely cheap when mass producing (especially when compared to alloy casting/ cnc machining),, labor cost is minimal, decreased weight =lower shipping cost. polymer is definitely a no brainer choice for mass production.
I don't care what the frame is made of if the pistol is reliable and accurate.

My P07 and P09 are more accurate than any of my steel or aluminum framed CZs.

Would and aluminum frame make the XD/XDM pistols shoot better groups?
in theory the frames affect on the accuracy of a firearm is based primarily on the frame to slide fit. for example if one was to use the factory locking block in aluminum frame there would not be any increase in accuracy.
a steel frame with full length integral slide rails(like a 1911 frame) with a +.003" -0" tolerance to the slide dimensions would absolutely make the pistol more accurate.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Don’t believe 99.9% of shooters would notice any difference in accuracy.

My XDM’s are supper accurate, when I do my job. Wouldn’t pay a dime more for aluminum.

Just my humble experience and opinion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts