Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was all set to buy a Glock 34 to go with my Glock 21 and 30 and a local gun salesman asked if I had looked at the Springfield XDM 5.25. I am relatively new to handgun shooting (shoot quite a bit of long range centerfire benchrest) however I've found I shoot the Glock's much better than any other handgun - I think it's the same trigger pull weight each time. I've performed some research on the XDM and it sounds like a very nice gun (I really like the bitone appearance). I would appreciate thoughts on how these 2 guns stack up against each other.

Thanks much!!

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
I don't have an XDM 5.25 but have a G34 and would say if you can, shoot the XDM 5.25. I've only handled one, dry fired the XDM and preferred the Glock trigger but I would say it could go either way depending on preference. Of course I also have two G17's and 20+ G17 mags so the G34 worked for me.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I'd recommend renting them each and try them out before purchasing either. The XDm 5.25, Glock 34 and M&P Pro are pretty popular among the folks shooting USPSA, IDPA, etc. as they're pretty much designed with the gun games in mind.

I rented each before I picked up my 9mm XDm. I found the XDm worked best for me. You stated you shoot your Glocks well so you'll probably find the 34 to be a great shooter for you. Nothing wrong with any of the 3 guns I listed...just have to find what works for you. The 34, to me has a better trigger and is cheaper to upgrade versus the 5.25.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I fired a G34 and was not impressed. Just ordered a XDm 5.25 today.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Having owned both, it's a tough call. The trigger advantage definitely goes to the Glock. I don't mind the the XDm trigger but it is a bit more mushy.
Accuracy is equal IMO but if you shoot a Glock better, I would go with that.
They are both great weapons and whichever you choose, you won't go wrong.

·
Banned
0 Posts
Get the Glock if you shoot it better. You need to hit your target for it to be effective.

·
Registered
8,973 Posts
however I've found I shoot the Glock's much better than any other handgun - Thanks much!!
All I can say is the first Sunday of each month, my XDM 5.25 wins SSP overall in IDPA against all Glocks and anything in the mix. What does this mean? The XDM is a great gun. That said, the person using the gun is the biggest variable and if you cannot shot a pistol, it does not matter what gun you get. Practice. Practice. Practice.

You should buy the gun you feel most comfortable with.

OS

·
Registered
205 Posts
the 34... for me at least. The trigger, ergonomics and glocks rifling are what I like.. that and you can pound them in the dirt, sand or ice... dig it up.. piss on the action and your good to go.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I've shot all 3...
I like the glock 19 A LOT...the 34 not as much.
My XDm5.25 got a PRP ult match trigger.
My 'other gun' is a std M&P 9. Trigger is good as-is. Nice gun..just doesn't 'excite' me like the XDm.
1 friend shoots his MP pro over his glock 34.
Another friend just traded his MP pro in on an XDm 5.25.

In PPC I shoot the MP slightly better than the XDm at 25 yards and less, but the XDm a lot better in IDPA and at farther distances (50yards).

Point being - you can't go wrong with any of them and it's mostly personal preference.

I'd recommend renting them each and try them out before purchasing either. The XDm 5.25, Glock 34 and M&P Pro are pretty popular among the folks shooting USPSA, IDPA, etc. as they're pretty much designed with the gun games in mind.

I rented each before I picked up my 9mm XDm. I found the XDm worked best for me. You stated you shoot your Glocks well so you'll probably find the 34 to be a great shooter for you. Nothing wrong with any of the 3 guns I listed...just have to find what works for you. The 34, to me has a better trigger and is cheaper to upgrade versus the 5.25.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again for the excellent comments - good news is I discovered a friend of mine at work has a XDM 5.25 and I'm going to borrow it to see how I like it - will report how it goes!

Thanks

·
Registered
87 Posts
Some great comments and very similiar to my experiences. i have several XDm's in 9mm, 40, & 45 aCP. My EDC is a XDm 9mm with Trijicon night sights. Very accurate and comfortable to shoot, as well as carry. I have a 5.25" XDm that has been my competition gun in IDPA/ISPC for a couple of years. I just recently switched to a a G34 for competition.

I hate the Glock triggers vs. the XDm triggers. Although both are very similiar in feel, my personal opinion is the XDm is better. At least for me.

So, I put a Ghost Rocket trigger on my Glock 34 and the difference is a great improvement. So much so that I prefer shooting the G34 in competition over the 5.25 with stock trigger. My next step is to upgrade the XDm trigger.

However, for EDC it is still my XDm 4.5 with stock trigger.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts