Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a XDm 5.25 thats heading to the SA Custom Shop. Application is production gun competition. Following is a list of mods I'm thinking she needs:

Competition trigger job

Extended mag release

Thinner front sight (from 0.145 to 0.100)

And thats all. Thoughts?

·
Registered
342 Posts
That's lots of changes. Have you fired her? Are you at the competition level of a Rob Leatham? Future owners would like to know?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I brougt her home yesterday, did a quick clean and lube last night, ran 200 rounds this morning, and plan to ship Monday. Aside from the trigger, she's a honey right out of the box.

The trigger is better than any other XDm I have shot, but not great. SA Custom Shop does a great job, and I consider a requirement.

I just started shooting pistols a little over a year ago, but I am hooked now.

·
Premium Member
128,276 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't do any mods until I had run at least 500 rounds through it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a fair point. I'm in a hurry to get her shipped off since wait time is over 6 weeks, but I'm better off running a few more boxes through to make sure she's worth the mod money.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Speaking as a current IDPA shooter and the owner of 3 XDMs I would change the trigger on all of my XDMs in a heartbeat.

I have shot the 5.25 and agree, it needs a better trigger. I am using the PRP Tactical trigger currently and am very happy with it.

The front sight on the 5.25 is large and easy to pickup. I would not change it at all.

Unless you have a problem releasing the mag, I wouldnt change the release either. I would rather have a button I can hit and eject over a button that I may accidentally hit and eject. From what I have seen on the extended releases, they do not appeal to me.

If I decide to get way more serious with my competition shooting, I would get a dedicated gun and mod it.

I do not feel you have to be a master class shooter to get any benefits from a modded gun. If that were the case, there are entirely too many lower level shooters with modded guns.

Depending on the class you will shoot in, have you thought of a flared magwell?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Interesting points.

Regarding the front sight, on the XDm 5.25, I believe it is too wide. My 4.5has a .100 front sight from Dawson Precision that I find to be much faster toalign. The .145 on the 5.25 is OK, but unless you are very good at comingstraight out on presentation, it's slower than the .100 sight. I find that thelittle bit of extra wiggle room makes a big difference.

For the extended mag release, here I think hand size is important. I have toreally twist the gun to hit the standard release, which is slower and moreerror prone. Regarding accidental release with the button extended, I havenever had a problem. The release spring is strong enough that it would be veryhard to depress accidentally. To me the only down side is that the gun is moresnaggy, but that is not an issue with a competition only application.

As for an extended mag well, I love that mod. All reloads are much lesserror prone with the well flared, but that mod takes the gun out of allproduction divisions, which is were this girl is heading.

Thanks for the thoughts!

·
Registered
114 Posts
i like it, i just got it and took it to my friendly pistol league last night (not ranked ipda style) i was impressed for how well it handles moving from target to target and how fast it is and still maintaining accuracy. please dont rip on my form im an amateur.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I ordered my XDm 5.25 directly from PRP with their reliability kit and competition trigger. I left the stock sight on it for now. I have the Dawson .1 fiber on two of my other pistols and the narrow sight does show more of the target. But I found that it also provides more room for error on quick transitions. I can always replace the front sight later if I decide the narrow sight is actually better.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Just purchased a XDm 5.25 thats heading to the SA Custom Shop. Application is production gun competition. Following is a list of mods I'm thinking she needs:

Competition trigger job

Extended mag release

Thinner front sight (from 0.145 to 0.100)

And thats all. Thoughts?
Those are good starts for a production gun.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts