Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I'll never be on TV doing this, but I've had a few requests to show the pistol in detail a but more, so here is my shot at it.

The gun has a nice balance to it. I adjusted my loads to 130 pf with 125 rn and VV320 and it still shoots very accurately, I'm going to try some 147 and see if it isn't too soft and is as accurate. I like some recoil between shoots so I pay attention. The adjustable sight is very nice, and there are .100 and .125 wide front sights in stock for it, so you can pick your preference. I was using a .100, but will be swapping to a .125 for some IDPA I have coming up, as I'm a little slower with the wide sight but I think I am a little more accurate. I was very surprised to see the video on the 50 yard offhand shots when we got back on the video, after missing the first shot, seeing the next two come in on the target together was pretty cool.

I can't wait until I can buy some of these.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Thanks for the review, great video and shooting !!!

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, it would have been better had I not jerked my first shot at 50 yards though, uggg.

OS,

I like your Avatar. If they all shoot like this one and Rob's, they have brought their quality to a whole new level, and at $750, I don't know what will be able to match up with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I checked buds for a price and its kinda up there, but so are the standard xdm's. Idk, to me id rather buy a xd9 tac and spend the rest on extras. I doubt the trigger is much better than the standard xdms. But nice to see SA still pumping out more variations of a great gun

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The trigger is the same as the 4.5, just the slide barrel and sights are different.

You get one extra mag $30 and adjustable aftermarket sights are $125, plus installation $20-$40, so we'll say $30, for a total of $185, and the XDM 9mm 5.25 is only $145 more than they basic XDM 4.5 9mm, so that is a pretty good deal if you are looking for just those upgrades.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I checked buds for a price and its kinda up there, but so are the standard xdm's. Idk, to me id rather buy a xd9 tac and spend the rest on extras. I doubt the trigger is much better than the standard xdms. But nice to see SA still pumping out more variations of a great gun
Unless you have a competition need for factory sights, I don't see why someone would spend the money on something other than an XD9 Tactical and upgrades.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
The trigger is the same as the 4.5, just the slide barrel and sights are different.

You get one extra mag $30 and adjustable aftermarket sights are $125, plus installation $20-$40, so we'll say $30, for a total of $185, and the XDM 9mm 5.25 is only $145 more than they basic XDM 4.5 9mm, so that is a pretty good deal if you are looking for just those upgrades.
And not so of a good deal, if you purchase a XD tactical, and do the same things to it, plus a trigger job ... Yes ?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And not so of a good deal, if you purchase a XD tactical, and do the same things to it, plus a trigger job ... Yes ?
You save $40 if you are going to get adjustable sight and one more mag, how is that not a good deal? The others extras are going to be the same anyway, so you start of $40 cheaper, and the adjustable sights on this gun are suitable for carry use.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
A set of buried adjustable sights on a XD9 tactical are going to run $300+.
How much to put a Deltapoint on either one, and a 3.5-4lb trigger with minimal (.1" max.) reset travel ?

Ya see,
Where I'm seeing this is, the main man Rob L. is doing a trigger job to be happy, I could care less about competition, and thus the factory sights, so what is the advantage this gun brings, price wise, over an XD tactical, if you're planning on having non-competition (disqualified from stock, right ?) work done on the firearm ?

Also,
Are you still doing work on the Witness Match line of firearms ?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
How much to put a Deltapoint on either one, and a 3.5-4lb trigger with minimal (.1" max.) reset travel ?
$475 for the sight installed (comes with 10 mounts) and $175 for a competition trigger job. We don't run engagement on the striker/sear less than factory specs, so the reset is as short as is safe.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
$475 for the sight installed (comes with 10 mounts) and $175 for a competition trigger job. We don't run engagement on the striker/sear less than factory specs, so the reset is as short as is safe.
Added to my post as you replied, but if I'm getting you right ... Economically, the XD tactical would save me money, because I don't care about being competition qualified ... Yes ?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It depends on the options you want. If you want high quality adjustable sights, you are better off (if you don't already have one) to get the 5.25 from a cost standpoint if you are considering the XDM 4.5. If you are looking at the XD9, that is a different animal all together, as the ergonomics and capacity are different considerations.

I'm not sure what your competition qualified is referring to.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
It depends on the options you want. If you want high quality adjustable sights, you are better off (if you don't already have one) to get the 5.25 from a cost standpoint if you are considering the XDM 4.5. If you are looking at the XD9, that is a different animal all together, as the ergonomics and capacity are different considerations.

I'm not sure what your competition qualified is referring to
I read somewhere, that a few classifications require the use of factory sights.
That's where that is coming from ... Do some classes of competition require stock to be totally stock (factory) ?

And back to my question,
If I consider the ergonomics equal between the XD and XDm ... The economic vote goes to the XD, IMO, and it should do so across the board.
The length difference is a trivial point, IMO ... And neither is hand fitted, so the accuracy of one over the other is meaningless.

I think the XDm line looks very cool, but this new 5.25 ... I'm having a hard time justifying the cost difference.

Side note,
Are you still doing work on Tanfoglio's ?

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only one that I know of is Bianchi that requires a stock sight.

I MUCH prefer the fit of the XDM, and the 5.25 has weight out of the back of the slide, which changes the balance, and for me it is perfectly balanced.

If you don't think the accuracy is different, I would again encourage you to view the videos I posted. It is not the same. On the XDM 5.25 they are actually tolerance matched. I've only spoken to Rob on his accuracy, as it is matching our ultra high end guns. He said only a custom .22 he had shoots better on NRA Bullseye. Being I shot a 1.25" group offhand at 25 yards on my second time with my 5.25, I don't doubt him either. I was ringing the 14" steel plate at 100 yards on 8 of 10 shots this weekend, offhand.

Yes, we still do Tangfo work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I kinda wish SA would have done a little something to the trigger though. Glock 34 and 35 have slightly better triggers as does the m&p 9 pro series over the service models. At least shorten the reset to that of say, the p99as which in my experience when I owned one, is the shortest reset of any poly gun ive handled. I know it was a DA/SA, but I think trigger is more important than sights in most cases. The accuracy may be improved by sights, but not all shooters can shoot better with a target style rear sight. Id wouldve rather had them doa slight trigger job than get a third mag. My curiosity is still peaked but I think for me, this gun will not find a home in my safe.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts