Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up an XDm 5.25. It is my first firearm. I don't intended to carry it, but I'd like to use it for home defense as well as sport (main purpose) until I get something dedicated for that purpose. I love the stock sights under bright light or sun, but I wonder how they'll do in dim light. Without tritium I imagine they are useless in the dark. Lots of the sights linked here from SF specify "not for 5.25", but I can't tell if they're referring to the adjustable rear sight. Some don't seem to say. So, some questions from a first time owner:

Is there a tritium/tritium-fiber optic front sight for the XDm 5.25?

Is there a tritium type fiber insert for the existing fiber optic sight?

How do you guys feel about all black rear sights in dim light? Still waiting to actually receive the firearm, so I've only tested a rental model in range light.

Finally - is this a useless endeavor? Should I just get another XDm for home and put truglo TFOs on it?

Thanks everyone,

PS

I know there is another thread on this. But some of the answers are very unclear to me about front/rear sights and what is compatible.

·
Registered
236 Posts
In low light the 5.25 will act like classic target sights which means Black rear with Black front.
I did a night class with a light and it was still more than useable if you train for it in that condition.

I am not going to tell you not to buy a 2nd gun, but if I had to make a recommendation.
Get an XDM 4.5 with tritium sights from the factory. Rather than mess with the sights on the 5.25.

IE. XDM 4.5ns for $600 vs $110 Sights & $90 3 mags

That way you have extra mags between the two guns and you have a backup gun that fits the same gear.

My 2 cents for what it is worth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jason, reasonable idea. I was definitely thinking of getting a smaller XDm for other uses like at home and carry. So that might be the way to go. I like the idea of having gear and mags that work together. I don't have the money available for that at this time, but that'll be the step down the road.

So just to confirm, TruGlo TFO for example is compatible with the front sight the 5.25 just like the 4.5? What about the rear? Some of the sights day "not for 5.25" but I can't tell if they mean both sights require special 5.25 versions or just the rear.

Minor topic swerve, how useful do you guys find the adjustable nature of the rear sight?

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Question, are you able to take a low-light class near you?

Many times, shooters have preconceived notions about how X or Y sights will or will not work in low/no-light. Sometimes, these preconceptions are found to be less than important after the shooters get a chance to really run through some low/no-light classes - other times, these notions are reinforced.

See if you can't find a course in your area, and see if you can't also borrow or rent a gun equipped with sights different from yours, to run "side by side" in the same class.

Your final decision will likely have more to do with personal preference (i.e. your personal weighing of importance) than any doctrine or dogma. :smile: There's pros and cons to every piece of gear.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, great thoughts. Sounds like my most important move will be to get hands on my new XDm when it shows up and test it in low light, and/or take a low light class at the club. See how I actually feel.

About the sights though - the front sights on the 5.25 are replaceable with standard XDm sights correct? It's the rear sight that is different?

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
^ I don't believe so - but I'd call Dawson Precision to check, anyway. They're really nice peeps.

It's my understanding (which may be incorrect, and if so, I do apologize and would love a correction) that TruGlo still has a valid patent on the combo fiber-optic/Tritium setup, so it's going to be a few years yet before we'll see a competitor's become available.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok I'll call Dawson. That last nagging question that no one has taken on yet - is the 5.25 front sight compatible with standard XDM front sights?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
You should be using a flashlight at night anyway, FO sights do fine with a flashlight. The Trit sights are best when there is enough light to id the target but not quite enough to use FO sights. A good flashlight & flashlight technique is best.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, good point. Dawson got back to me and confirmed that the front sight on 5.25 is the standard XDm sight, so it is compatible with any of their XDm sights. It is just the rear sight which is different.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts