Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a 5.25 and love it. I am searching for a duty holster with level 2 retention but I cannot find it anywhere. Please advise if anyone knows where I can find one.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
You might need to go custom-build on this one.

Various custom Kydex pressers such as KT Mech will offer the customer to select retention options for their custom builds.

The 5.25 is typically used as a competition platform, and the readily available holsters for it are thus usually designed as such.

·
Registered
5,000 Posts
Blackhawk Serpa's will accommodate it but you'll have some overhang.

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
^ Very good point.

But that's also why I don't like it, particularly in the context of a "duty" holster.

The idea behind retention for a true "duty" holster is that the end-user is trading accessibility/speed for security. With an added-retention setup, ostensibly, that's to defend the gun from unauthorized access in the worst-case scenario.

If the fight for the gun goes to the ground - or even is just physical enough to put the defender up against some kind of hard backstop - the chances of the exposed muzzle becoming impacted and damaged or worse, for the barrel to become obstructed, increases.

And while there is less of a chance of a front-sight snag with this particular combo (or others like it, where the open-front design is made for at least the full-sized counterpart), it's nevertheless still a possibility, particularly on a handgun with such a tall front sight.....

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
The serpa holster is a good option. I carry my XD in one daily. All you have to do is train with it.
There's been some very well known instructors that have had a nd from it. Under normal situations most people won't have an issue. It's under pressure or when the gun doesn't come out the first time that people have tried too hard and pulled the trigger early. It's a bad design and a danger to the user imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts