Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
XDM 5.25 Comp too much for a newbie?

Hi, new poster. Some quick background, I've been an off and on shooter since I was 12, mostly with 12ga shotguns. I've fired mostly a .357 revolver. Never extensively used a semi auto handgun.

I've been looking along with my father for a new semi auto hand gun. Just yesterday he bought a S&W M&P 9MM.

Recently while going to Scheels I was pointed toward the XDM case. I held several 4.5 and 5.25 comp models and I liked the overall feel. It was similar to the M&P but I liked the style and overall ergonomics of the gun. The grip safety is not intrusive and I like that it has a safety mechanism that's not a thumb safety. Lets face it the best safety feature is your head. My father's M&P does have the thumb safety and it just feels in the way. Also there's a LOT of trigger play in the M&P that makes me uneasy.

I'm 90% certain that I'm going to get an XDM but I'm curious if anyone would or would not recommend the 5.25 9mm comp model for my first semi auto? Or should I just stick to 4.5 9mm until I'm more comfortable. I like buying quality and I like that you have a longer site radius with the 5.25 model. I like the look of the bi-tone gun. I like that you don't need a tool to do a field strip of the XDMs.

We have some local competition shoots that cater to all skill levels that I'm interested in doing. Thoughts? My plans may change when we take the new gun out to the range for the first time.

Thanks in advance.

*Edit* Interested in general target practice/low level competition/home defense.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I agree with xdmp22. If its going to be a range/comp gun, then get the 5.25 and a trigger job and have at it. I shop my first match with my 5.25 and feel I did better with it than my other gun I usually shoot with.

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
We got a 5.25 for range, plinking, and random competition shooting, local USPSA. Not to much gun at all, I think it would be a great gun for first time buyer.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
If you get into competition/range shooting the 5.25 will save you money over modifying the 4.5 to the same level of performance and features. For a home protection gun, there will be no measurable differences that I can think of.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have an XD 45 ACP and an XDM 5.25 9MM. I like both pistols.

Since you did not list concealed carry as a need either pistol would likely fit your need for "target practice/low level competition" in my opinion. I bought the 5.25 because 9mm ammo is less expensive in most cases than the larger calibers.

This next blurb is my opinion only and I apologize in advance if this opens up the great caliber debate. Have you considered going with a .40 S&W for the "home defense" purpose you listed? A bit more recoil and ammo cost than the 9mm but more potent as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the feedback. As for the home defense concerns and 40 S&W, I'd rather stick with cheaper ammo besides my father's S&W is a 9mm so it makes buying ammo easy. Yes, I'd have less stopping power but if it's worth shooting once, it's worth it to make them into swiss cheese, if you catch my drift.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have an XDM-40 3.8, if it gets too expensive to shoot, I'll buy a 9mm barrel and a few magazines. But you can't go the other way and put a .40 barrel in a 9mm gun. This is the reason I went with the .40

·
Registered
26 Posts
My first pistol was a .40 XDm 4.5, and it's one of the keepers in my collection. Love that pistol as being a fantastic all purpose handgun. I carry it, keep it in my night stand, plink with it at the range. I've just recently acquired the 9mm 5.25, and it's perfect to me for everything BUT self-defense. Easy recoil, accurate as can be, cheap ammo, fantastic sights, just needs a trigger job! Even the length wouldn't bother be for CC, it's that cut in the slide that concerns me. With things getting into it you might have issues with reliability in a dangerous situation. If SD/CC isn't a concern, then the 5.25 is fantastic.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I catch your drift Orion.

For the record my uncle-in-law was a retired law enforcement officer who dearly loved and trusted his 9mm Browning Hi-Powers. Good luck.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Concealing this gun would be no different than using a 4.5 or 3.8. Its the grip you have to hide the slide is the easy part.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts