Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been shooting my XDm 5.25 9mm in IDPA for a few years and decided to play with the Carry Optics class. I bought the mounting plate from Springer and mounted my Burris FF3 sight with no issues. It's a slick mount.

Initial testing with my mid range 9mm reloads resulted in failure to lock the slide back on an empty magazine so I'm thinking the extra mass on the slide needs a reduced power recoil spring.

I ordered 16# and 14# Wolff springs from Springer. Their website didn't say they fit the 5.25 but XDm series. I thought they'd work. They are longer than the factory spring by about 1.25". I did get it installed and the slide did lock back on the empty magazine with the 16# spring.

Do I have the right part, or is there a different part that's actually made for the 5.25.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
Sorry I can't answer your question on the recoil spring, but I am curious about the mounting plate...

I've been wanting to mount an optic on, well... something. Try as I have, a new OSP, MOS, Q5, or Q4 TAC just isn't going to happen right now.

A plate for my 4.5 XDM would fit into the budget nicely if it's a good piece... how's it holding up? Did you change the front sight? Does the FF III hold your zero?

The JT setup has been discussed here before... it costs about 2x what the SP plate does, but I like it.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I can't answer your question on the recoil spring, but I am curious about the mounting plate...

I've been wanting to mount an optic on, well... something. Try as I have, a new OSP, MOS, Q5, or Q4 TAC just isn't going to happen right now.

A plate for my 4.5 XDM would fit into the budget nicely if it's a good piece... how's it holding up? Did you change the front sight? Does the FF III hold your zero?

The JT setup has been discussed here before... it costs about 2x what the SP plate does, but I like it.
I've only fired 40 rounds or so with the FF3 attached so it's certainly a small sample size. But so far it's fine. I actually have two of the Outer Impact mounts for the regular XD's that don't have the adjustable sight as on the 5.25 model. I was going to put the FF3 on one of those but they are 40S&W and I really wanted to use the 9mm. I'd ordered one and the package was marked XD but the mounting plate indicated Glock. So I ordered another and it was the same. Turns out that the mounting plate for XD and Glock are the same, only the part that goes into the dovetail cut is different. I was planning to send my slide off to James, and probably will still do that at some point.

I've got the Outer Impact mounts on 4 other guns, but they are all 22lr guns. I went with the 8MOA dot on two, one being the XD, because I'm using it in IDPA and the larger dot is easier to pick up and certainly as precise as it needs to be in my case.

I can make you a deal on one of my non 5.25 mounts if you like.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I may be mistaken, but it looks as though the JT mount does not fit the 5.25 with the adjustable sight.

·
Registered
749 Posts
As far as the recoil springs, they are the correct ones. My wife runs 14# in her Production 5.25 9mm, and I used the same when shooting minor PF 40 through my backup Limited Div 5.25...both of which are about 130pf (hers with 135gr pills and mine with 180gr...and yes, 180gr .40Smith minor PF ammo feels like cheating and is softer than 9mm).

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the confirmation Mike. I've got the 16# in there now and will shoot some more tomorrow. If there are still slide lock issues I'll install the 14#.

Would be nice if there was a way to ID them out of the packages.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Would be nice if there was a way to ID them out of the packages.
To keep spares easy to ID in the range bag, I use paint pens to color code. I color the end and first coil so it's easy to see.

Since my wife's pistol is accented in pink, her springs are pink. My main Limited Div pistol is accented blue, so mine are blue. Factory springs are unmarked.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.