Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) First handgun and only the third time I've ever shot one.
2) Target is the Large size and shot from the 25yd line. Win 124 grn.
3) Used the two thumbs hold as shown on various grip videos.
4) Nothing fast, waited a few seconds between shots.
5) I did find that toward the end the sun was going down in front of me, the red fo tube started to "glow" more and I found it harder to make out the top of the front post because of it.

I'm happy that I stayed on paper but I seem to be all over and not trending one way or the other. Advice other than more practice???

Attachments

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
For a first time handgunner at that distance, Great... I would suggest starting out at 3 - 5 yards, work on your stance, grip, and trigger pull (straight back and smooth). Also with the trigger, just use your finger pad, between the end of your finger, and the first knuckle. Again it looks good, just more practice at a closer distance, then you can determine what is going on better.

Awesome first gun, bi-tone or black ????

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I agree with iCreek.

I'll also add that you should get some snap caps and do some dry fire practice.

This will really help improve your trigger control.

Focus on grip and trigger pull and get used to where the trigger breaks without messing up your sight picture.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Both are great tips. An exercise I recommend for new shooters or new firearms is to practice sight/target alignment. I usually do this with an unloaded safe firearm when I'm in the house alone. It seems to help me and with a safe firearm I have not killed any of the clocks, pictures, or other various objects around the house.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I also think you should start out closer. When I qualify with my department we only fire 4 rounds from the 25 yard line and 4 rounds from 15 yard line. the other 22 rounds are fired from the 10, 7 and 3 yard line. We do this because statistics tell us that more than 80% of all gun fights happen within 21 feet. I would also suggest you practice firing from retention. When I started doing this I thought it was going to be a peace of cake but found out otherwise. At first my rounds were all over the target but in a short time I was getting nice groups center mass. I still practice this way and find that if I go a long time without doing it my groups open back up so it is important to run a few mags this way when possible.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hi,

I've been shooting at an indoor range and they have markers set at 15 feet, 25 feet and 50 feet for reference. You did really well. Were you shooting at 25yrd (75 feet) or 25 feet just over 7 yards?

I'm only about 3 months in to shooting myself and find the 15 yards (45 feet) a challenge.

- Mike

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
We can't really see how you were standing, where your feet were, how your posture was, etc etc etc. The general stuff that all people should work on start from the feet. Put your weak (non-gun holding) side foot in front by 18-24" and stand 70ish percent of your weight on it. (Keep your feet wide for stability). Then remember to lean in to the target some. That will keep your front foot holding the weight. Then try to keep the gun raised up to your eye more than lowering your head to the gun. If your neck and shoulders get all tense and sore the next day -- you were shooting from an uncomfortable position.

On trigger control. I REALLY like to see new people get a super cheap laser. ebay sells "low profile" lasers for 20 bucks that go on the rail and have a bottom rail. They are more toy than tool, but for trigger practice at home -- they are well worth the 20 bucks. Take out the mag, clear the chamber by racking the slide several times. Then take the unloaded gun to a different room. In that room, pick a spot and "shoot it" by dry firing. The laser dot shouldn't move at all. But it will! Your job is to make it not move. Firing between breaths will be the most still. Usually, a few heartbeats after exhaling and before inhaling is the best. Focus on the front sight, but monitor the dot.

A second free method is to take an empty shell casing and balance it (empty bullet hole up) on the top of the front sight. Then squeeze the trigger. It shouldn't fall.

Think about those points, practice what makes sense to you and then go shooting and have FUN.

·
Registered
575 Posts
First time pistol owner here as well. Second time at the range. I do enjoy shooting the 5.25 XDM9.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Put your weak (non-gun holding) side foot in front by 18-24" and stand 70ish percent of your weight on it. ........ have FUN.
Thanks for the advice. I was actually standing with my feet shoulder width apart and head slightly down. Saw this in a defense shooting video. I then saw the method you mentioned at another handgun website. I'll give it a go next time and see if it helps any.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Don't be afraid to try new ways of shooting. What is 100% perfect for me, may stink for you! Plus as we learn and improve, we will start to do things differently too. The only cast in stone thing is that when the trigger moves back, the gun is still. Well that and don't forget to Have Fun!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts