Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a couple of weeks ago I bought a new XDm 9mm 5.25" Competition Series pistol from Guns and Leather in Greenbrier, TN. I also ordered the PRP Ultimate Match Target XDm Trigger Kit since the only complaint I have about the XD/XDm line is the trigger.

I received the trigger kit in the mail last Monday and installed it during lunch. This was the first trigger kit I have ever installed but the video linked to on PRP's site explained in full detail what had to be done. The trigger kit consists of a new sear, striker safety lever, trigger with over travel stop, sear spring, and trigger spring. Fitting required me to sand a bit on the sear and the striker safety lever (where the trigger bar comes back in order to reset) and quite a bit off the over travel stop. After about 1.5 hours everything was installed, fitted, and function checked. Someone with more experience may have been able to do it quicker but I was pretty pleased for my first time.

On Tuesday I went to the range and put it through its paces. Out of about 120 rounds it failed to reset without a little help 3 times - I had to push the trigger forward with my finger. So I took it home and sanded just a hair more on the striker safety lever and function checked again. On Friday it was back to the range for another round of test firing, which went off without a hitch. Then on Saturday I shot it at the MCTS 3 gun match.

Let me say, I couldn't be happier. The PRP trigger kit reduced pull to probably about 3 pounds. I don't have anything to measure it with so I'm totally going to off of feel and comparing to the approximately 4.5 pounds that is stock. But it is light. And the reset is short. And there is no take up. As soon as the trigger safety is pressed, you pull and it goes bang. And though the gun comes with adjustable rear sights, I didn't have to make any adjustments. With the new trigger I was putting whole magazines through the a hole about an inch in diameter at 7 yards. Not bad for someone who only ranks about average.

So if you get a chance to shoot this gun, do it. If you have this gun or an XD and are looking for an improved trigger, look at PRP. After shooting mine the wife says she wants a trigger kit (though not the competition kit) for her XD9SC. I will be reducing her take up and over travel soon while leaving the stock springs intact.

That is all.

·
Premium Member
2,629 Posts
hey, just don't tell AZXD man...don't let him read this...i think he just messed up! (ha, all in jest and all this is to just raz AZ if he reads it and maybe take some steam out of some things today amongst other things going on today).

For real, thanks for the post, that should inspire more to try it themselves! glad you like it...wish i had a 5.25 and was shooting again.

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have the same PRP kit in my XD45 and feel the same way you do. The trigger kit was the best money I have ever spent on a pistol. I am thinking about a 5.25 but in .45acp. I always loved the 9mm round but once I got my hands on an older G21 and fired my first .45acp I have backed off the 9mm. I currently have three .45acp guns and two 9mm and am thinking about selling one of the 9mm. No 1911's though, have had 4 of them and never could figure out why people like them. Sorry for rambling.

Give us an update in the future.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Nice, I am looking to slap one on my XD45 in the coming months and then probably my XDM9 after that. You're right the XD(M) trigger is the only thing I would change on them but most gun's triggers need a little work.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
The PRP products do install pretty easily and make a huge improvement. I have the basic kit in an XDm with stock springs and some polishing of parts. Makes it super nice for about 85 bucks.

If you have the ability to polish parts, the improvement in trigger "feel" is as dramatic as the install of the kit (at least it was for mine).

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
The stock trigger is more like 6 or 7lbs. I love my PRP UM trigger. I only had to file down the sear to get the grip safety to function. Its now my primary pistol for 3-gun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts