Springfield XD Forum banner

XDm 5.25 9mm **Range report added**

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  OscarMike 
#1 · (Edited)
New to this board but not new to shooting. A few questions and I'm sure I came to the right place.
I got a chance over the weekend to run a XDm 5.25 and I am in love right now. I ran a slew of drills with it and I can't believe how well I did.
I'll admit I am a Sig guy but I have owned just about every make and they were all good, it just happens that Sigs are my favorite(for now).
I have owned 3 Springfields and loved them all but this one was different. It has about 2K through it and it's stock.
So here's my questions.
#1. How reliable?
#2. Liked the trigger but what if any options do I have?
#3. Those that own one, anything I should look for?
I am not buying the one I shot(he won't sell it), so I am basically looking at new. They are in stock around me so availability is not an issue.
Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I've had mine for a few thousand rounds now. I shoot it for fun and in competition. I have yet to have a FTF or FTE. (knock on wood).

If you are just shooting for fun. A PRP drop in Trigger kit will suffice. If competing one of there other kits would be even better. Others will add Springer Precision I think it is. Don't know anything about them but a lot of people here endorse them so chances are they are just as good.

I usually fully disassemble and clean thoroughly after every range session. Maybe that's why I have had such good luck with malfunctions. Disassembly is a breeze. Tons of videos online. Plus a member here is the master when it comes to these guns so any questions anyone has he can and will answer.

I think I made the right choice when I bought it.

#3 ·
I've had my 5.25 9mm for going on close to 3 years now and have at least a few thousand rounds through and it has been flawless. Picked one up in 40 recently and only have a few hundred rounds through but it's run fine.

PRP (Powder River Precision) and Springer Precision both offer trigger kits and both are very well respected within the XD/XDm community.

Not much else to add . It's a great shooter.

#4 ·
I looked on the Springer Precision site at a few things, some of which is out of stock. I shoot PPC so I probably will compete with it.
It was dead nuts accurate so I'm wondering if I need to do anything to it at all. I'm jumping ahead of myself because I don't own one. Still thinking.
Thanks for the replies.

#5 ·
Unless you got to shoot a unicorn (and by that I mean that XDM Triggers aren't known to be great from the factory) Even if the trigger really was as good as you thought i doubt it would compare to a PRP Extreme kit. I don't know what the different divisions are in IDPA so I don't know which trigger kit will comply but I felt a huge difference in Pull, break and reset. Worth the price tag versus the drop in kit? Not sure but it is a huge difference.

#6 ·
I love XDM's. It'll be one the most accurate, reliable, tough, and safe gun you can choose. I'd doubt you'll ever have a single problem with it.

The only advice I can give about the 5.25 is be careful with the rear sight. They're very fragile, and it doesn't take much to crack the base to where the sight flops up and down.

I'd recommend the PRP extreme drop in trigger kit, and you're good to go. It's the easiest to install and the break and reset are perfect.

#7 ·
Congrats!! You might want to think about running it as it is for a little while before replacing anything. That way you'll learn what you think you need to upgrade to. If PPC is anything like USPSA and 3 gun around me, you'll find plenty of folks running 5.25's. You can talk to them and see what works for them. As you already know, the trigger is probably the first thing folks generally upgrade. Another common upgrade is to replace the stock front sight with a 0.100 fiber optic which is a little thinner than the stock sight. Dawson Precision is another company that caters to the competition shooting folks, and they sell a fair number of products for XD/XDm's. Congrats again...let us know how it runs for you.

#8 ·
Congrats on your purchase.
i've only owned my XDm 9mm 5.25 a few months. I recently started participating in IDPA matches with it. So it was a two time first; first time competing and using the XDm 5.25 in any other way than static target shooting.
So far the only 'addition' I have made is to a different holster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.