Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have owned this awesome pistol for nearly a year now and have shot well over 1000 rounds through it without any malfunctions. 2 weeks ago I had a PRP trigger kit installed by a local gunsmith who came highly recommended. I have taken my XDM to the range 2 times since getting it back. I love the trigger kit and my accuracy is better than ever with the new trigger BUT I can not get through a mag without it failing to go into battery, the slide is about 1/8 in to the rear. I eject the round (no punch on the primer) and am able to finish the mag off most of the time. My question, has anyone experienced this before or have any ideas of what to do besides taking it back to the gunsmith? Anything helps, thanks.

Reactions: nunya

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Which kit? May be having the safety lever hang high. May need to shave a little off the side of the sear. Could just soak it down a bit and run it in also. Check for right spring placement too

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
I own this same exact firearm and I had the same problem happen to mine as well. This was about two years ago. I did not have any modifications made to mine. I contacted Springfield and they sent me a postage paid shipping container to send it to them in. I then sent it in and they fixed the problem. Haven't had any issues since.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is a PRP extreme trigger kit. I just got back from the gunsmith who simply shaved off some of the trigger backstop. I had no idea where to start with this problem but he test fired it and said it's good to go. I'll be the judge of that at the range but am happy the problem was located at least. Thank you both for your help!

Reactions: Jimbo1

·
Registered
10 Posts
I own this same exact firearm and I had the same problem happen to mine as well. This was about two years ago. I did not have any modifications made to mine. I contacted Springfield and they sent me a postage paid shipping container to send it to them in. I then sent it in and they fixed the problem. Haven't had any issues since.
If you don't mind my asking, what repair did SA make on your pistol? I have the 5.25 .45 and I observed a friend firing my pistol, and something similar to the OP's issue happened to mine. While he was shooting, the pistol appeared to be out of ammo, but it had just stopped firing. I looked at it and saw that it was slightly out of battery, and then I dropped the mag and racked the slide to get a look and out popped a round, in which the primer had been dimpled but did not fire. The round fired perfectly after I got it stuffed back into the gun but the whole thing still has me confused. How could the round get hit by the striker if it was not in full battery?

Anyway, I have replaced the recoil spring with a Wolff 22#, which helps tremendously but adds a lot of extra force. I haven't got back to the range with it but expect not to have any more problems. Before I replaced the recoil spring I did notice that when a round was chambered, I could pull back on the slide and get it to hang, but when the chamber was empty it would always return to battery, but not with any real force. The 22# makes a big difference with how forcefully it goes into battery.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
If you don't mind my asking, what repair did SA make on your pistol? I have the 5.25 .45 and I observed a friend firing my pistol, and something similar to the OP's issue happened to mine. While he was shooting, the pistol appeared to be out of ammo, but it had just stopped firing. I looked at it and saw that it was slightly out of battery, and then I dropped the mag and racked the slide to get a look and out popped a round, in which the primer had been dimpled but did not fire. The round fired perfectly after I got it stuffed back into the gun but the whole thing still has me confused. How could the round get hit by the striker if it was not in full battery?

Anyway, I have replaced the recoil spring with a Wolff 22#, which helps tremendously but adds a lot of extra force. I haven't got back to the range with it but expect not to have any more problems. Before I replaced the recoil spring I did notice that when a round was chambered, I could pull back on the slide and get it to hang, but when the chamber was empty it would always return to battery, but not with any real force. The 22# makes a big difference with how forcefully it goes into battery.
They replaced the spring but I'm not sure what else they did as there wasn't anything written when it was returned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts