Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Recently picked up a brand new XDM 5.25 40, dual tone to carry as a duty pistol and to replace my XD 9mm that had an awful trigger. I liked the longer barrel over the normal XDM, and wanted something not straight black and it was the only one they had that fit that criteria.

First question is night sights - it's been covered before. They don't make a rear night sight for the 5.25 at the moment, hopefully they will some day. I was just curious if anyone has found an adapter plate to replace the rear sight with a standard dove tail so a night sight could be fitted to it?

Alternatively has anyone drilled and installed tritium viles in the default rear? I found some 0.95 x 3mm green tritium viles, which is near exact the measurements needed to fit the back sight. I'd rather buy something pre-built over going that route though.

Next and last question -- has anyone found a level 3 holster for the 5.25? I made my blackhawk holster work by shaving down the lip on the front - but it doesn't have space for a tac light.

My father is a gunsmith and i'm having him gold coat my barrel to make the gun "pop" a little more, i'll post a picture of it when he's done - I might eventually have him do the lightening cuts in the slide as well. I hate having the same thing as other people, figured a gold barrel would help!

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
You can have the rear dovetail recut for an after market sight. How it blends with the slide will be the issue. Holsters, especially with lights & retention, difficult as the 5.25 is sold as a competition not duty gun.
Jmo, bling on a duty gun, not a good thing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can have the rear dovetail recut for an after market sight. How it blends with the slide will be the issue. Holsters, especially with lights & retention, difficult as the 5.25 is sold as a competition not duty gun.
Jmo, bling on a duty gun, not a good thing.
The 5.25 has an adjustable rear that is in-set into a milled portion of the slide. To have it re-cut i'd either have to have the stock sight heavily modified, or replace it with something else. I'm not sure if I would have the space on the rear sight to modify it. I'd have to cut the rear of the sight down, but I don't think it would allow enough space to mill in a dovetail since the adjustment screw is right there.

I modified my existing XD holster and it works quite well, no noticeable delay in my draw. I just would like if I could put a tac light on. I suppose I could always order a blackhawk for an XD w/ tac light and just modify it too.

Why is bling on a duty gun not a good thing? It doesn't alter the function of the weapon it's just a cosmetic tweak. From in the holster it would be barely visible ( just the tip ), and if I have my gun drawn I doubt anyone will care that the barrel is gold, nor would they even notice. I just don't like having the same thing as everyone else, and find the black frame/slide aesthetically unpleasant. A gun to me is equal part tool and piece of art. Unlike some I don't buy multiple for different occasions ( duty, conceal, etc ). I make one work for everything - and yes I can conceal a 5.25, maybe not in the summer but in the fall/winter no problem!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I didn't say it woud be easy, but a good gunsmith can fit anything. I would think a sim size rear could be modified or even built from scratch. I would assume any rear night sight would be a fixed, non adjustable, as, IMO, all fighting guns should have. Nothing to get out of adjustment & less likely to break.
Bling, anything shiny on a def pistol is just asking for a night time reflection when not needed. Your call, but for me, bling is for a BBQ gun, not duty weapon. Jmo, gold on a handgun, really? Pimps & drug lords comes to mind, but hey, your gun, your choice.:cool:

Reactions: XDmax

·
Registered
89 Posts
There are target style night sights available. The only thing I would think it would be a problem is the amount of material that will need to be remove to mound a new sight, might put the rear sight too low. Unless the space can be filled and re-cut. Is a red dot an option?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I didn't say it woud be easy, but a good gunsmith can fit anything. I would think a sim size rear could be modified or even built from scratch. I would assume any rear night sight would be a fixed, non adjustable, as, IMO, all fighting guns should have. Nothing to get out of adjustment & less likely to break.
Bling, anything shiny on a def pistol is just asking for a night time reflection when not needed. Your call, but for me, bling is for a BBQ gun, not duty weapon. Jmo, gold on a handgun, really? Pimps & drug lords comes to mind, but hey, your gun, your choice.:cool:
I'm not too worried about someone seeing a reflection from the top of my slide, since that and the hood are the only part of the gun where the barrel is exposed. I'm 6'3, if they can see the top of the slide they are either a.) giants, or b.) above me - both not a good place to be regardless. Not to mention the police patch front and back of my tac vest is reflective. Oh and the gold isn't a reflective TiN polished gold, it's a cerakote or KG gun koat gold, it's not a metal flake gold - it's a flat pale gold,

Example:

http://www.xd-hs2000.com/finishes/palegoldxds.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There are target style night sights available. The only thing I would think it would be a problem is the amount of material that will need to be remove to mound a new sight, might put the rear sight too low. Unless the space can be filled and re-cut. Is a red dot an option?
I need it to fit in my duty holster so a red dot won't work. They sell plenty of adapter plates for red dot sights. I'm hoping someone will make an adapter plate to add back the milled out portion of the slide with a dovetail eventually. I'll probably just see if I can have one made so I don't have to alter my stock sight.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Cant wait to see the new pimp setup

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He ended up going with a dark earth color for the barrel. I told him gold or whatever he thought would look good. Depending on the lighting the dark earth can have a gold feel without being too overkill.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory
Trigger Floor

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
^^^Better than gold

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It turned out pretty good. My next upgrade will be a fiber/tritium front sight. Hopefully sometime in the near future someone comes up with a rear night sight, but front is good enough for now!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
It turned out pretty good. My next upgrade will be a fiber/tritium front sight. Hopefully sometime in the near future someone comes up with a rear night sight, but front is good enough for now!
I have a tritium front on a couple ccw. It's really all I need for close in night shooting, under 12yds or so, where I can Id the target & I just need to get the front sight com. Tritium front & rear gets me further out, basically as far as I can see in the low light condition. A light is really what's needed if its truly dark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts