Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site, new to owning personal protection firearms, but not new to shooting.

I'm looking for any help at all about customizing my XDM 40 for self-defense in the home and my XD 9mm sub-compact for carry.

I'm having a heck of a time trying to find stuff that fits and works (and maybe doesn't break the bank...?). Also looking for good practice ammo as well as recommendations on self-defense rounds.

I'm 5'11", 240 lbs, shot competitively 14 yrs ago w/ .357 revolver, .22LR pistol, and .22LR rifle. And I'm right handed. I also understand that, regardless of the accessories/set-up/etc., nothing can replace practice...and lots of it.

Basic questions:

1. What type of holster should I use for each application? (don't want to buy a bunch of holsters trying to figure out which one I'm going to like...but will if I have to)

2. What light/laser system do you guys recommend for each weapon (.40 for home defense; 9mm for carry)?

3. Heck, is a laser system even necessary in low-light/no-light situations, or will a tactical light system work fine?

4. Should I upgrade the sights? If yes, then what's recommended?

Thanks in advance!!!!

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Either gun can be concealed fairly easily as long as you dress for it. I hate to tell you this, but you are probably going to have to try a lot of different holsters till you find exactly what you want (I own at least 100). Make sure that you either go with leather or Kydex for anything serious. OWB leather, I like either the Axiom from Milt Sparks, an "Avenger" style, or offering from Tucker Gun Leather. IWB I prefer the MS Versi MaxII, TT gunleather, or HBE gunleather. Kydex, my favorites are from Safariland (not really Kydex, they use a Kevlar blend), Blade-Tech, Comp-Tac, or Dale Fricke. What works for me might not work for you and what you like with say a 1911 you might not like with the XD.

I don't believe in rail mounted light/lasers. Get a good handheld light, Surefire, Insight, etc. Learn how to use it properly or it will become a bullet magnet. Also, keep in mind that more than one polymer pistol has malfunctioned due to the weight of a mounted light.

You don't need a laser, especially if you are just getting back into shooting. People tend to get reliant on the laser and then don't know what to do if they break or the batteries go dead. They are excellent for training and a usefull tool for a seasoned shooter. If you get a laser stick with Crimson Trace, or Laser Max.

Keep in mind that some sort of light (preferably handheld) is mandatory, a laser is not.

I believe in tritium sights on any defensive weapon. I prefer a plain black rear sight with a tritium front. This "clean" combination helps you focus on your front site. This brings us back to the light. If you use a rail mounted model, you must constantly change your grip to turn it on and off while moving. When you find your target you will be able to illuminate it, but it really doesn't help your sight picture. If you use a handheld, the light is manipulated with your weak hand allowing you to maintain a constant grip on the pistol. It also allows you to simoultaneously illuminate your site picture and your target.

ranburr

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, ranburr!

Just for clarification, are all the holsters make/model you mentioned specific for XD/XDm?

·
Registered
892 Posts
How does the weight of the rail mounted light cause the gun to malfunction?

I have never heard of this before.

·
Registered
11,061 Posts
Basic questions:

1. What type of holster should I use for each application? (don't want to buy a bunch of holsters trying to figure out which one I'm going to like...but will if I have to)
For IWB a lot of people really seem to like the Crossbreed Super Tuck. Those that prefer OWB have a wide variety of choices and personal preference and appearance becomes a much bigger factor. A few good ones are the Blackhawk Serpa and Tucker Gunleather. Actually, the options for leather are too numerous to list in its entirety.

2. What light/laser system do you guys recommend for each weapon (.40 for home defense; 9mm for carry)?
In my opinion, rail mounted lights are more hassle than they're worth. Just get a handheld light. Surefire makes some nice ones. If you need to save some money, a quality LED light will work fine.

3. Heck, is a laser system even necessary in low-light/no-light situations, or will a tactical light system work fine?
Lasers have their advantages, but they aren't necessary.

4. Should I upgrade the sights? If yes, then what's recommended?
If you feel like doing an upgrade then do one. Tritium sights are nice because they need no light whatsoever to operate correctly.

Thanks in advance!!!!
These are my opinions and other's opinions may vary.

I hope that helps.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Concerning holsters and suits...

What are your thoughts about shoulder rigs vs. IWB when wearing a suit?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I don't care for any shoulder holster. I have never found one that was truly comfortable, most print badly, you have to reach across your body to get the gun, they take two hands to reholster, and you still need to wear a good belt to anchor from (always anchor a shoulder holster). A IWB can be worn with most any dress, including shorts and a hvy t-shirt.

ranburr

·
Registered
92 Posts
I don't believe in rail mounted light/lasers. Get a good handheld light, Surefire, Insight, etc. Learn how to use it properly or it will become a bullet magnet. Also, keep in mind that more than one polymer pistol has malfunctioned due to the weight of a mounted light.

Keep in mind that some sort of light (preferably handheld) is mandatory, a laser is not.

This brings us back to the light. If you use a rail mounted model, you must constantly change your grip to turn it on and off while moving. When you find your target you will be able to illuminate it, but it really doesn't help your sight picture. If you use a handheld, the light is manipulated with your weak hand allowing you to maintain a constant grip on the pistol. It also allows you to simoultaneously illuminate your site picture and your target.

ranburr
I have a different opinion on a weapon mounted tac light. I use a SureFire X300 on my nightstand gun and love it! In a home defense situation I don't think a off hand held light is any less a "bullet magnet" than a gun mounted light. If you are carrying it off hand, cross armed it is not positioned much differently.
I like not having to look for a separate flashlight in the dark and the output is blindingly bright! the controls are mounted near the trigger guard and no change of grip is necessary. The light beam is well centered on the point of aim at 5 - 10 yards. I have been to the range with it and have not had any gun malfunctions with it mounted on my XD45c.

Now I would agree that if I was a professional LEO or military and my job might include clearing a building that a hand held would probably be better. I cannot use my holster with the light mounted so someone carrying their weapon full time would have a problem with it.

VL

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Reread my post, any style light is a bullet magnet if not used properly. What I mean by that is that most people turn a light on and keep it on. In way too simplistic terms, you should use that light very sparingly and never from the same place twice. You need to learn something along the lines of the Harries or Good flashlight techniques. If not, the light is just as likely to get you into trouble. I prefer the Good, but you have to be able to shoot one handed to use it.

ranburr

·
Registered
92 Posts
Reread my post, any style light is a bullet magnet if not used properly. What I mean by that is that most people turn a light on and keep it on. In way too simplistic terms, you should use that light very sparingly and never from the same place twice. You need to learn something along the lines of the Harries or Good flashlight techniques. If not, the light is just as likely to get you into trouble. I prefer the Good, but you have to be able to shoot one handed to use it.

ranburr
You are correct, I did incorrectly think you were only opposed to weapon mounted lights. After a reread I realize you are opposed to incorrect light technique regardless of light used. My booboo.
I agree with you on lasers. The thing I have notice with them is that in a dark house, you get so many laser reflections and bounces that it can be quite confusing as to which one is the point of aim.

VL

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the help on accessories - all being taken into heavy consideration.

About ammo...(you know, manufacturer, weight/velocity, location for purchase and relative pricing)

What are everybody's thoughts on practice rounds?

How about defense rounds?

·
Registered
87 Posts
I recently bought 1000 rounds of 9mm Speer Gold Dot 124 grain +P JHP ammo for self-defense. Putting 300+ rounds through my (M), no failures of any kind except for 2 failures to lock back when empty (which easily could have been me).

As for range ammo, I prefer Blazer to WWB because it seems cleaner and, for me, more accurate.

Whatever you choose for self-defense, put at least 200 rounds of the stuff in your gun to make sure it works reliably. After that don't forget to practice with it every now and again (I like to shoot with my self-defense ammo around once a month).

·
Registered
383 Posts
As for range ammo, I prefer Blazer to WWB because it seems cleaner and, for me, more accurate.
Couldn't agree more. WWB is pretty cheap but dirty as all he77. I'll shoot Blazer from Wally World all day long and it's about the cheapest thing you'll find. I thin around $8.50 for 50 rounds of 9mm and $12.50 for .40. Unfortunately that's all WW carries in Blazer so I'm forced to shoot everything else in WWB.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For the record, what's "WWB"?

Also, just checked my local Wal Mart...looks like we don't carry Blazer (at least not that I've found so far). 9mm is in Winchester, and goes for around $11/50; .40SW is Winchester and $17/50. :(

Not disagreeing...just trying to find alternatives is all. I'll keep trying to locate Blazer...but not finding anything so far in the prices that you're quoting. *sigh* Oh well...may be stuck with more $$ ammo for now. Until I convince my dad to start hand loading again. ;)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gotcha....yeah, that's what my Wal Marts carry. The white box stuff. Looks like I may have to write my Congressman...*l*

·
Registered
892 Posts
Not many of the W-marts in my area carry Blazer. You can also usually find WWB value packs (100 rounds loose) for about $20 in 9mm.

There is also a Remington value pack, 115 gr JHP for about $24 per 100. This comes packed in 2 trays in one box.

I have only shot about 20 rounds of it thru my XDm9, and it functioned ok.

Does any one else have any opinions on the Remingtons?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts