Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a XDM 40 that has had about 1000 of rounds through it so the gun is broke in. I really love this gun and really like the 170mm extension. I have never had any feed or eject issue's with any ammo I have ever fired through the gun except when I run my Pistol Gear 170mm extension. I have a lot of 16rd factory mags and a Canyon Creek 140mm mag and all of them run smooth as silk in my XDM so the problem is with the 170mm extension for sure. I have filed the notch down on the bottom of the mag to allow the spring and follower to go past it. What the mag is doing is I will go to the range for an outing and sometimes the mag runs fine with no jams or issues all day, but like today after just firing it last week working fine it jammed four times going through the 25 rounds.The way it is jamming is it is fully ejecting the spent case and the follow up round is getting caught on the bottom of the feed ramp as if the spring is too weak for the mag or the follower and spring is binding up, but it isn't jamming this way on the last one or two rounds. It is jamming like this all the way through the mag and not doing it on one particular round or doing it all the time. Has anyone else had issues with their 170mm extension and if so how did you fix it?

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
That is a long stack of ammo to be pushing. The staggered double stack tends to wedge outward against the sides of the mag as it is pushed by the spring/follower. Any drag or friction resistance is magnified. Inspect the mag for any depressions of the sides where ammo could hangup. Clean up any roughness on the follower with 600 or higher grit sandpaper. Clean the inside of the mag and use a drying film silicone spray lube or maybe automotive wax to cut down on resistance. The rounds usually rotate as they are moved up the mag, so use clean shiny brass for minimum resistance. Maybe try wiping the ammo down with a silicone cloth - same as you can use for your pistol. Check that the feed lips hold the top round the same as functioning mags. Not any guarranteed results but probably the best you can do other than a new stronger sspring.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I run a silicone cloth on the inside of all my magazines, and on all contact surfaces of the followers. In do it about once a year, and it solves s bunch of feeding problems. I don't worry about the ammo, because it usually has some residual one shot on it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I use both the 170 and 140 in Steel Challenge and have had pretty good luck with them. I do clean them every 5 or so matches, but I'm not dropping them in the dirt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts