Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bid in on this barrel from Storm lake. I'm assuming it should drop into my XD-40 Mod 2.0, correct? If so, I know I will need 9mm mags. Will the 40 cal recoil spring assembly work with the 9mm?

Tom

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
I can tell you there is no difference in barrels of Mod 1 and Mod 2 The recoil spring would be too strong for weaker 9 MM loadings stouter 147 grain it would work fine. I am not a recoil spring expert, so don't trust what I say.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am pretty sure an XDm barrel will fit on an XD mod 2. I would also get a new spring for the 9mm. Minimal expense.
That's what I was thinking, thanks. Are there aftermarket springs for the XD?

·
Premium Member
944 Posts
Gunsprings.com

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just looked at Wolff Springs and they show the standard 17 lb spring used for 9, 40 and 357 Sig.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I have an EFK Fire Dragon barrel in 9mm and it came with a lower power spring; however, it runs just fine with the factory 40 S&W spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have an EFK Fire Dragon barrel in 9mm and it came with a lower power spring; however, it runs just fine with the factory 40 S&W spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good to know, thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
.40 to 9mm conversion. The only perfect conversion is changing the whole slide. How do you expect a piece of brass in 9mm to be extracted reliably each and every time when the extractor is barely catching the edge of the brass rim because it is designed for a larger diameter .40 cal. brass? Yes it works most of the time but don't ever use a 9mm conversion barrel for carry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
omegamanjohn

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
.40 to 9mm conversion. The only perfect conversion is changing the whole slide. How do you expect a piece of brass in 9mm to be extracted reliably each and every time when the extractor is barely catching the edge of the brass rim because it is designed for a larger diameter .40 cal. brass? Yes it works most of the time but don't ever use a 9mm conversion barrel for carry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
omegamanjohn
I added a Storm Lake 9mm conversion barrel to my Smith M&P 40 cal. and it's been running flawlessly for over 2000 rounds now, factory and hand loads .My 9mm barrel is for cheaper range practice. I usually carry the M&P with my Storm Lake 357 Sig barrel installed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Again the time you need to use 9mm for self defense in your weapon will fail to extract. It's Murphy's Law. Mr. GaCop103, you have been lucky. Look at the physics of the two bullet diameters. A diameter that is 75-80% the size of the designed bullet is bound to fail to extract at some point in time. I have sold conversion barrels for 30 years beginning with .400 corbon, 9mm and .41 Action Express. I have always given my customers the plus and minus qualities. Some clients rave about the greatness of the conversion but others moan over the failures to extract. This does not include .357 SIG (Same size brass as .40 cal.) DO NOT TRUST 9MM CONVERSION BARRELS FOR SELF DEFENSE! PLEASE, PLEASE TRUST ME ON THIS!
omegamanjohn

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Again the time you need to use 9mm for self defense in your weapon will fail to extract. It's Murphy's Law. Mr. GaCop103, you have been lucky. Look at the physics of the two bullet diameters. A diameter that is 75-80% the size of the designed bullet is bound to fail to extract at some point in time. I have sold conversion barrels for 30 years beginning with .400 corbon, 9mm and .41 Action Express. I have always given my customers the plus and minus qualities. Some clients rave about the greatness of the conversion but others moan over the failures to extract. This does not include .357 SIG (Same size brass as .40 cal.) DO NOT TRUST 9MM CONVERSION BARRELS FOR SELF DEFENSE! PLEASE, PLEASE TRUST ME ON THIS!
omegamanjohn
I believe I specified the 9mm conversion barrels are for RANGE USE, NOT for SD situations. When I'm out walking early in the morning I carry my SCCY CPX-2 loaded with Hornady Personal Defense ammo, in a back pocket. I would prefer my Rock Island 1911 in 38 Super but that's a bit hard to carry wearing shorts and a T-shirt, lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well said. I carry XDS .45. Not concealed XD .45. When Bear Hunting XD 10mm. I still have some RBCD .45 ACP ammo. toted as total fragmenting partially jacketed round nose at a screaming 2,036 feet per second. I watched a chronograph from the San Antonio company before they went out of business that confirm that speed. Invented by a San Antonio policeman who since passed away. That's what I use for carry normally. Goes in but does not exit. Water can't be compressed. Guess what turns the total fragmenting bullet into granules? Just like sand. (water). Don't know if we can communicate as individuals here in this forum but I would like to talk to you. I wanted to give personal info out to a man about sights but I was ostracized. Military armorer, Military match pistol builder and Glock Armorer 30 years.
omegamanjohn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts