Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry no pics with this one but the other day at the range with 180gr magtech jhp I was shooting 3-4 in low. My left right was as good as I am capable but was having to aim very high on the target. Once I figured out where the rounds were going I compensated and achieved decent groups at 12 and 25 yards. I just had to aim for the ceiling to get them there. I didn't have this problem with the 160gr rounds that went through the gun first. Any comments or suggestions?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
25yards you sure it's not 25 feet? Sounds like you're shooting at in indoor range. What sight picture are you using.
Might be you have developed a "push" just as you pull the trigger. Just as you pull the trigger you push the gun down in anticipation of the recoil. Have a friend load a few snap caps intermixed with live rounds in a mag while you are looking. You'll see if you are pushing or flinching as soon as you hit a snap cap.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The first rounds were outside and at 25yd and some at 50. The second time was indoors and it's definately 25yd. They just built it and it's the only range for 150 miles of here that's indoors and handles rifles. I try to sight in my mossberg in there before going out looking for pigs. On the subject of the push. I'll look into that. I've not had that problem before with the baretta M9 (1000s of rounds) or recently a kimber ultra carry .45 (100 rnds) which kicks a wee bit more. I don't under stand it I've shot 1-2 points away from sharpshooter (navy) with the M9 at least 10 times (usually at 4am over caffinated and shaky) and I group 100x better with the xdm but have to aim at the ceiling down range. Could I have just defeloped the habbit over night like that?

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
It's a different trigger/firing mechanism and I believe that's what your problem is, although it could be sight height. 2 out of 3 pistols you mentioned are hammer fired and the transition from hammer to striker can be annoying. Keep at it and dry fire some more.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
You wrote you have to aim at the ceiling, just how far up are you actually aiming at 25 yards? 3", 6", 12" or the 6 foot distance that aiming at the ceiling would be?

3", 6" and even 12" could be from the long trigger pull and anticipation of recoil. 6 foot? well I'd want to see that duplicated between sandbags with the front of the frame solidly supported before my skeptical Missouri side will accept that! (no offense, but I'm from Missouri as they say!)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts