1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
WHY?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I'd keep it stock. I try not to mess with reliability stuff like springs.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
What do you want to gain by changing the recoil spring to a lighter one? Are you shooting custom hand loads that are very light?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was at an idpa match saturday and after talking to several shooters about what upgrades would be worth doing sights,magwell,and lighter recoil spring came up

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am shooting lighter loads 5.6 gr win 231/140gr lead cast bullet if you any recipes i would love to know. my grandpa told me if an old timer speaks you listen

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Stock spring is 18#'s for the .40, 16#'s for the 9 IIRC

Try a 16# and see how that works

That said, a magwell, and sights would be the first upgrade before springs

9x19mm, 40 and 357SIG all use the same factory spring weight of 17#.

The problem with going with a lighter spring on an XD is it may not go into full battery when the chamber is dirty and will have sluggish lockup. The reason is the fully cocked striker spring is pushing the other way trying to unlock the pistol when it is cock, which happens every time you fire the piece.

If you go to a lighter recoil spring you WILL need to go to a a lighter striker spring aswell. This will increas the chances of a light primer hit.

The gun is designed so the springs all work together. Change one and a few more might need changing.

If you want smoother get the one of the one piece guide rods out there and put a 17# spring in it. I did in my XD9 and it is much smoother now......

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
9x19mm, 40 and 357SIG all use the same factory spring weight of 17#.

The problem with going with a lighter spring on an XD is it may not go into full battery when the chamber is dirty and will have sluggish lockup. The reason is the fully cocked striker spring is pushing the other way trying to unlock the pistol when it is cock, which happens every time you fire the piece.

If you go to a lighter recoil spring you WILL need to go to a a lighter striker spring aswell. This will increas the chances of a light primer hit.

The gun is designed so the springs all work together. Change one and a few more might need changing.

If you want smoother get the one of the one piece guide rods out there and put a 17# spring in it. I did in my XD9 and it is much smoother now......

not to argue, but I had a XDm .40 and got a 9mm conversion barrel for it.....I had to switch to the 9mm spring as well to get it to cycle properly

I might be off on the weights, but I know for a fact atleast at the time (2 years ago) there were two different part numbers from springfield that had 2 different spring weights

may not be the case now, but was when I had mine

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
not to argue, but I had a XDm .40 and got a 9mm conversion barrel for it.....I had to switch to the 9mm spring as well to get it to cycle properly

I might be off on the weights, but I know for a fact atleast at the time (2 years ago) there were two different part numbers from springfield that had 2 different spring weights

may not be the case now, but was when I had mine
I called SA to order one and they told me they were all the same weight when I told them I needed a 9mm spring.

I did a look see and every retailer that sells them say the same thing.

PISTOLGEAR | YOUR ONE-STOP SHOP FOR ALL THINGS PISTOL

Springs for SPRINGFIELD XD 4 INCH Semi-Auto Pistols

I just go by what the factory told me and what I found out researching after being told.................

my bad, he asked about the m series, they might be different........

1 - 11 of 11 Posts