Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about 360 rounds of various types and manufacturers, looks like my XDm is still grouping all types about 3-4 inches to left of point of aim at 25yds. I tried tapping the rear sight to the right using a small hammer, 3/16" punch, and thin piece of cardboard to protect the finish (tab off of ammo box), but couldn't get the sight to move at least that I could tell, and didn't want to hit it any harder than I was. (Also tried shifting my grip and adjusting trigger finger position, which helped some but didn't bring it back to POA.)

1) Double check: Am I moving the sight the correct direction: i.e. move the rear sight in the direction that I want the point of impact to move?

2) Any better way to move the rear sight?

3) If I can't move the rear sight to right, would I have more luck moving the front sight to the left, if the dovetails are supposedly unidirectional?

Suggestions?

Good shooting,
Alchemist77

·
Registered
286 Posts
Moving the rear sight in the direction you want the group to move is correct. XD's tend to have a reputation for sights that are very tight and difficult to move.

·
Registered
948 Posts
did you put in a vise? because it sounds like trigger pull if not.i have the xdm9mm and i group in the center but not very tight still trying to get the feel of it.a friend of mine has the 40xdm and shoot tight to the left he sold it got a glock tight to the left sold it xdsc to the left so don't sell you xdm:cool:

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Have you tried shooting your pistol VERY carefully from a bench rest? If you haven't, I would suggest doing so before making any sight adjustments. The simple fact is that when shooting offhand, too much finger on the trigger will pull every shot left. I've been there done that and a simple bench test showed me that my pistol was sighted perfectly, it was my technique that needed some work.

·
Registered
42 Posts
When I sent my XDm back to SA to have a new rear sight installed to point of aim they moved my rear sight because with them shooting from a bench rest it was shooting 3 inches to the left.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
When I sent my XDm back to SA to have a new rear sight installed to point of aim they moved my rear sight because with them shooting from a bench rest it was shooting 3 inches to the left.
What was the turn around time when you sent it in to SA?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you tried shooting your pistol VERY carefully from a bench rest? If you haven't, I would suggest doing so before making any sight adjustments. The simple fact is that when shooting offhand, too much finger on the trigger will pull every shot left. I've been there done that and a simple bench test showed me that my pistol was sighted perfectly, it was my technique that needed some work.
I tried some rested shots, and the group tightened up a bit and did shift a little back toward POA, but it wasn't a very stable rest position. Next time I go to the range I'll set up a nice stable rest and use very slow careful trigger pull to verify the POI with several 5 shot groups.

Previously, I did notice that when I switched to left handed firing, that the POI was close to POA. However, this could be misleading because shooting left handed, if my trigger pull is less practiced I could pull shots to the right (instead of to the left, as with right hand). Or maybe I'm not as prone to pulling the shot with my left hand. So either I shot better with my weak hand, or perhaps the natural POI is actually a few inches to left of POA and left handed trigger pull using weak hand pulled the actual POI to the right, placing it at the POA.... Hmmm... but if I shot upside down left handed, then the natural POI should line up with the right side up strong hand POI... Hmmm...

Maybe I'll just do the careful bench rest groups and then move the sight if needed :]

Thanks,
Alchemist77

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I've discovered that I have a habit of using too much finger on the trigger sometimes. Usually it's with triggers with a heavy pull because I seem to subconsiously want the leverage. Last Saturday I was practicing with my Sig P239 in DA only, which has 10 lbs of pull in Double Action. As a consequence, I was pulling nearly every single shot left. So, just to confrim the sighting, I shot a 5 shot group in SA off the bench at 40 feet and it yielded a perfectly centered sub 1 inch group. Obviously, it's not the sights that need work, it's me. Then I moved on to the XDm. After shooting with a 10 lbs. trigger, the trigger on the XDm seemed quite light and I shot the best with it that I ever have. I was shooting tight and right at the point of aim.

Point is, think about how your placing your finger in the trigger and see if that helps. One other thing that may help is, if you have an older DA revolver, or a DA/SA pistol like my Sig, do a bit of DA only practice to re-assure your subconsious that you really can pull the trigger with just the pad of your finger on the trigger.

·
Registered
463 Posts
chances are unless your a very experianced shooter the problem is you and not the sights.

I would suggest you do research on grip, and shooting a handgun in general before you start messing with the sights.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, in short you guys were right. :eek:

Today I put another 150 rounds through my XDm paying close attention to trigger placement, trigger pull, and grip. Looks like due to the XDm's relatively stiff (relative to 1911A1 single action match trigger, for example) trigger with a bit of creep (or travel, or stacking, or whatever you want to call it on the XD), I was placing the trigger closer to the first joint than to the finger tip, much like shooting a DA revolver. The XDm trigger is a bit different from the DA revolvers, DA auto, and SA auto I've owned and shot. Looks like placing the trigger about 1/3 the way from the finger tip to the first joint, and using a slow consistent pull through the creep, put rounds very near point of aim from rest and off-hand, both strong-hand and weak-hand. You guys were also right that it took about 500 rounds to get used to the XDm trigger.

So, here's to you guys :). Thanks for sharing your experience and for teaching an XD newbie something useful !

Alchemist77

1 - 13 of 13 Posts