Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I will admit, I am kind of a freak when it comes to accuracy. I really believe the old saying "the only interesting gun is an accurate one." I think part of the reason I feel this way is that when I miss my target (and I often do) I want to know that it was my fault and not the guns. I have searched for the results of a real accuracy test done on these XDms, and I have not found one. What is the potential for groups at 25 yards with careful load development and a ransom rest? I have read the many posts about how these are not bullseye guns, ultimate accuracy is not the intended purpose, they are more accurate then the shooter anyway, etc. I am aware of all that, but am just curious if anyone has really rung one of these (either and XD or and XDm, I don't care what caliber) out to see what the potential for accuracy is?

·
Registered
36 Posts
i cant really tell you about accuracy on these guns but i will post me and my buddys shooting tomorrow on some homemade targets lol

i will be shooting my 40 and my buddy will be shooting his 9, both are xd's

this is a really good topic by the way
b/c i know i have search for the same
i was actually looking for max effective range on the xd40
havent found it yet...

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
What kind of groups do you currently get at 7 yds?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Best i could ever manage with any of my xd's both 9mm and .40 was about 2.5-3" at 25 yards. Perfectly acceptable for a plastic gun. I've used various loads, now use solo 1000 for 9 and .40.

You could up that with a match grade barrel.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I can reliably get 4"-4.5" groups at 25 yds. with my XDm.40. I use it for CC, so those groupings are plenty accurate for my needs.

·
Registered
676 Posts
One of the range officers took a few shots with my XDm compact one day at 20 yards. The best I can do at that range is to keep the shots on a 8 1/2" x 11" target. He ran a magazine through it and all his shots were in a 3" group. He had never shot my gun before. He is something to watch using his own hardware. He can shoot the bullseye out at 20 yards, less than a 2" group. I get ill watching him thinking there is no way I will ever get that good!

·
Registered
447 Posts
It's all about practice, practice, practice. The more you shoot, the better you get.

When I was hunting with bow a lot, I was practicing for around 1 hour 4-5 days per week. It got to a point where I could start to shave pieces of a fletching off another arrow. I was shooting around 150-175 arrows in that time frame.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
When I first started shooting the xdm-40 I was flinching (ahem:oops:) and stabbing the trigger:oops: and pulling shots low and left:oops:. I complained to a buddy about the inaccurate gun, he took it from me then called his shot of the string holding up the target at 50-60 ft and hit it -- first shot. I hung it back up and said "let's see you do it again!". Bang! Clunk! His only comment was "seems ok to me".

A steady hand, a smooth trigger and the gun will put bullets into a small clover leaf hole all day long.

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I first started shooting the xdm-40 I was flinching (ahem:oops:) and stabbing the trigger:oops: and pulling shots low and left:oops:. I complained to a buddy about the inaccurate gun, he took it from me then called his shot of the string holding up the target at 50-60 ft and hit it -- first shot. I hung it back up and said "let's see you do it again!". Bang! Clunk! His only comment was "seems ok to me".

A steady hand, a smooth trigger and the gun will put bullets into a small clover leaf hole all day long.
XDm 40 compact here. I did the same thing. I fancy myself as an experienced shooter and started blaming my new gun while at a Front Sight training. The instructor picked up my gun, shot out the square on the target about the size of a quarter (he uses a Glock not an XD). He gave me back my gun and said it's not the gun. :roll:

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
XDm 40 compact here. I did the same thing. I fancy myself as an experienced shooter and started blaming my new gun while at a Front Sight training. The instructor picked up my gun, shot out the square on the target about the size of a quarter (he uses a Glock not an XD). He gave me back my gun and said it's not the gun. :roll:

Awkward....

At least it was only my hunting buddies and not a larger group when I displayed my inadequacy! While not an expert shot, I have improved trigger control and focus on front sight picture. .... and learned to keep my big yapper shut!;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Best i could ever manage with any of my xd's both 9mm and .40 was about 2.5-3" at 25 yards. Perfectly acceptable for a plastic gun. I've used various loads, now use solo 1000 for 9 and .40.

You could up that with a match grade barrel.
Just curious, was this shooting off of sandbags or some other kind of rest?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Awkward....

At least it was only my hunting buddies and not a larger group when I displayed my inadequacy! While not an expert shot, I have improved trigger control and focus on front sight picture. .... and learned to keep my big yapper shut!;)
Awkward? You're telling me. It was in front of 40 people. It get's worse now that you've brought it up. I wasn't even the one who opened my mouth. My shooting partner, who is a training officer for the PD, saw that I was being consistent and doing the right things so he called the instructor over to check my gun out. He was just trying to be nice, grr.

The gun shoots straight.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Yeah, with friends like that....:rolleyes:

Like you said, the gun shoots straight --> straighter than I can shoot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts