Which one should I buy?

• 3.8"

• 4.5"

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what everyones thoughts were on what I should get. I will be concealing this handgun alot, so i see the upside to getting the 3.8", but am wondering if the 4.5" is alright as well for carrying. I prefer the look of the 4.5" and further accuracy of having a little bit longer barrel. Thoughts?

Two holsters I am looking to purchase for it:

Blackhawk! Serpa CQC Holster w/BL and Paddle – Right Hand
and
Blackhawk! Inside-The-Pants Holster - Right

Oh, and this is my first post here, so I hope I put this in the right place lol

Also, any thoughts on aftermarkets i should get for this gun?

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
get whichever fits you best

my choice might not be the best for you or any other.
sounds if you already chose the 4.5

the holster will be trial and error till you find what works for you.

shoot both if you can
also most store will let you try the holster on if you take your gun unloaded to try if you like it, before buying

don't believe the hype you cant conceal a full size, { A LOT of us here carry full size 1911's daily }

·
Registered
532 Posts
I have both the 4.5 and 3.8. I like the feel of the 3.8 so much better. It just feels like it is more balanced to me. Of course, you need to handle both before buying. I will say this, there is not a bit of difference in the accuracy or ease of shooting between the two.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Oh yeah, forgot about the holster question. I use the Crossbreed for concealment and Blade Tech for outside carry.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
3.8 and 4.5 are the same grip.(unless you are talking the compact) That is what you are trying to conceal if you are going to use an IWB holster. You could have a 10inch barrel and still conceal it, but you can't have a 10inch grip and conceal with out a trench coat. lol. So, get what you like better out of the 2.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I have it in 3.8. I also really like the feel and balance of it. Of course I have the .45 in 4.5 also and it feels good too.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
4.5 for me. Love a bigger frame pistol. Although Commander length is my favorite in a 1911. I think I am just used to shooting full size, compact just feels a little odd to me.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I almost always go with the larger of the two sides when asked questions like this. I like the longer sight radius and I like the look/feel of a larger handgun. In my opinion, even if a person isn't PLANNING on carrying a particular pistol, why not have the option if the opportunity arises. This potential need keeps many people from purchasing the larger weapons. I am a towering 5'9", 185 lbs with a 32" waist, lol, and I CCW an XD 40 tactical with a 5" barrel everywhere completely comfortably and effectively in a T-shirt and shorts. It helps having wide shoulders but the real keys are having a good holster (CROSSBREED SUPERTUCK!!!!) and buying your clothes around your IWB system. When I go clothes shopping, I wear my gun and purchase things that are comfortable and allow me to effectively conceal the weapon. That's what the mirror in the dressing room is for, right?? :)

I guess my point is, if you buy the right kind of clothing and holster, a 4.5" XDm can do everything a 3.8" XDm can do and arguably more. Go with the 4.5"!

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have both in 9mm and like the 3.8 better because it's easier to conceal though feels just as heavy. If you end up wanting the 4.5 look at my thread in the FS section but you really can't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
22,575 Posts
I voted for the 4.5. The XDm 4.5 in .40 whas my first semi auto.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have a 4.5 inch. I bought it mostly for IDPA matches. Then I bought a Crossbreed Supertuck and I was amazed to find that I could carry it concealed comfortably.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Get whatever one you want, if you are going to conceal and going to use an IWB holster, you aren't going to worry about concealing the barrel, you are concealing the grip and the grip is the EXACT same size on the two guns you are talking about.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thank you all for all of your help! i am pretty sure i will be going with the 4.5 barrel, but i have definitely decided on my holster choices:

for open carry, i am going with the blackhawk holster i listed in my initial post
but
for concealed carry, you all have convinced me of the crossbreed supertuck for sure. i did my research on it and have not found one negative comment. i also like that it is a smaller business and made right here in the U.S.A., couldn't be happier about what that company stands for.

now, any thoughts on sights?

thank you all once again for helping me out!

Swany26

1 - 16 of 16 Posts