Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, first time poster here. I picked up my XDM40 4.5 about a year ago and have probably put 1k+ rounds through it since. From the beginning Ive been having some issues with it feeding properly (not as often early on). Now of a full mag i get 1 or 2 random rounds that get jammed horizontally or at at 45 degree angle between slide and ramp during cycle. I pull the slide back, round falls out, and let go to feed the next round with no issue and continue firing. I have tried many things to try to find the issue/culprit such as:
New SA mags and labeled to distinguish. Same issue
Different ammo - federal, Remington, Winchester all180 grain. Same issue (although all rounds are flat/round, not fully round)
Let rounds sit in mags for spring break in. Same issue
Had others fire, members of IDPA, to see if maybe i limp wrist and even tried left hand shooting. Same issue.
Checked the construction/mechanism of firends XDM 9mm - looks the same.
Firearm is cleaned, ramp is polished, rounds seats properly.

Any ideas or input would be appreciated. Next step would be to contact SA, just wanted to see if someone had a similar issue or solution.
Thanks

·
Registered
305 Posts
Interestingly, I have the same issue. Owned my xdm 3.8 40 for about 3 years now, a few thousand rounds, now 5 fails in about 300 rounds all of a sudden. Just as Sagun13 says, it gets jammed coming out horizontal, rack it and continue.

This is my carry gun so this has completely freaked me out. I went home and cleaned it vigorously, and found a pin almost backed out, just above the mag release button. I immediately took it to a gunsmith who promptly pushed the pin back in and said gun is good to go. He said the pin being out was not what caused the feeding problem, he blamed the ammo after I told him I shoot S&W Factory reloads...

Now I am sitting hear wondering if I have addressed the issues. Questions:

My mags are as old as the gun. Should I throw them out and buy new? Could this be the issue?

Are there other 'springs' and such that a novice user can change out or should be changed out with the age of this weapon? Any 'consumable' type parts that should be replaced every x years?

SAgun13, I feel for you bud, this is frustrating and when you need to trust the weapon... I hope we get some gun professionals that can help us here.

Reactions: TSiWRX

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was at the range today with various reload .45 ammo and the same thing happened. XD 45. Do not worry. The ammo is crap and better than nothing at all. Make sure you CLEAN YOUR MAGAZINES. Without a clean magazine your firearm will not function when you need it to. Crap ammo is the culprit and when I shoot white box, magtech, sellier and bellot target no problem. Obviously higher-end ammunition is also no problem. Stay safe brother!!

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Have you pulled the striker? It's possible oil/cleaning crap made it's way into the striker during maintenance. I'd pull the striker and make sure there is no gunk in it.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Interestingly, I have the same issue. Owned my xdm 3.8 40 for about 3 years now, a few thousand rounds, now 5 fails in about 300 rounds all of a sudden. Just as Sagun13 says, it gets jammed coming out horizontal, rack it and continue.

This is my carry gun so this has completely freaked me out. I went home and cleaned it vigorously, and found a pin almost backed out, just above the mag release button. I immediately took it to a gunsmith who promptly pushed the pin back in and said gun is good to go. He said the pin being out was not what caused the feeding problem, he blamed the ammo after I told him I shoot S&W Factory reloads...

Now I am sitting hear wondering if I have addressed the issues. Questions:

My mags are as old as the gun. Should I throw them out and buy new? Could this be the issue?

Are there other 'springs' and such that a novice user can change out or should be changed out with the age of this weapon? Any 'consumable' type parts that should be replaced every x years?

SAgun13, I feel for you bud, this is frustrating and when you need to trust the weapon... I hope we get some gun professionals that can help us here.
Calm down bro!

Guys with .40's mags/springs are going to need to be replaced before the 9mm guns. Usually 1k rounds should require magspring changes and you guys need to check your strikers and make sure there is no buildup in them.

Don't throw it away and get frustrated. Check the striker channel, check mag springs (OP said he changed mags and still isn't having luck) and OP might want to also make sure his guide rod/spring assembly is good to go.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks Minkman. I did clean the mag's out yesterday, were pretty dirty. Spring seemed good. So when you say replace, are you talking the entire mag or just the spring within?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Recoil assembly should be fine after a 1000 rounds, but there is a chance you have an out of spec spring. I would also look at the extractor, you may not be getting the last round out and it colliding with the next round coming in causing it to deflect. also may want to check the mag release and ensure the mag is seated in all the way. if the mag is sitting just a touch below where it needs to it may not be positioning the round in the right spot to have it feed correctly.

can you make it fail manually? do the rounds stay in the magazines if you shake or drop them?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
On the mag id most likely say spring. I supoose its possible the feed lips could be off, but on more than 1 mag? Prob not likely. The spring can be had for a few bucks and is a cheaper place to start troubleshooting.

I have 5 mags thay have gone through about 4500 rounds combined and dont have the problem you are having, but idk.

Start with the spring for the sake of a few bucks and see where that takes you.
Guide rod should still be cool, but as mentioned above things happen in mass-produced environments.

All the advice above sounds good as well.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Thanks all. Jake I would say it it sitting sideways, halfway out, unspent, when it happens... I pull back on slide and it falls out...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same problem with my XDM 45. I found that if I held up on the bottom of the magazine while I fired, the pistol worked flawlessly. I assume that the mechanism that holds the magazines in the pistol became worn or out of spec and was not holding the mag far enough in. Sent it back to Springfield with the explanation of what I thought, and when it came back it worked perfectly. Springfield did not tell me what they did to fix it, but I suspect they worked on the mag release.

Before sending it back to Springfield, I had cleaned the mags and even bought new/stronger mag springs. It was not the solution to fixing my pistol. Different types of ammo didn't make a difference either.

If you have tried everything else, try holding up on the bottom of the mag while firing, to see if that fixes the problem. If it does, I think you have the same problem that I did.

·
Registered
7,659 Posts
SAgun13, mikedeanellis and [/b]Sod Farmer[/b], you've all done some excellent self-troubleshooting.

After ruling out software issues (swap to an experienced shooter of this particular platform), mag issues (swapping to other mags, swapping to a new mag), and ammo issues (swapping to ball or premium defensive hollowpoints [yes, I've seen a gun choke on ball, but feed premium defensive hollowpoints just fine - i was a 1911, go figure!!! WTF!?!], swapping manufacturers, swapping from reloads/remans. to new), logic would dictate that what remains is a problem with the gun.

mikedeanellis, that little pin directly above the magazine release is what's holding the magazine catch/release mechanism together. It's the "magazine catch pin," and if it's backed-out far enough, it will cause the magazine catch to do funky things ("twist up" on one side) and cause your magazines to not seat properly:

^ That's the Springer Precision video in which they show disassembly/reassembly of this area, and you can see that their gunsmith drives out the pin half-way in order to accomplish the upgrade installation.

The longest I've gone without touching that area (swapping out for that Springer Precision extended unit) is ~32,000 rounds ( New XDm9 from Cleveland - POA POI magazine questions Page 3 XDTalk Forums - this was from when I went to a 6-day course, and my experiences there were in-part what drove me towards an extended release), and I luckily did not have that pin walk out on me. My carry gun is currently around 10K rounds with the factory release, and I still haven't seen a problem. This is not to say that such a problem cannot happen, rather, it's just that typically, it's not a concern with these guns.

Has that pin ever walked again on you?

If it did it once, I'd be worried about it doing it again. Maybe you have a pin that's just slightly under-sized for your frame (i.e. that each component could be on their respective "wrong" side of the tolerance spectrum, yet still be in-tolerance)?

Sod Farmer, I wonder if your problem was associated with either that pin (not walking out - maybe somehow [freak occurrence?] breaking?) or maybe that area (spring mis-seating itself on the catch? maybe the catch itself breaking?). It's really too bad that SA did not detail what they did to solve your problem. Regardless, I think you did good troubleshooting!

SAgun13, I really liked your logical progression in self-troubleshooting.

The only thing I want to add is to address your and mikedeanellis's questions about service-intervals for some of the more common springs.

With the recoil spring, to the best of my knowledge, we (as a community here on XDTalk) have never received a consistent line from SA. Various members here have either written or called-in to SA with this question, and have gotten a spectrum of answers when it comes to an actual cycle/round count, and the range has been anywhere between 3K to 10K. [WTF?!] However, one consistent mention (in addition to the "we test the springs out to 25K" line that SA has been known to give) has been to simply keep an eye on how far your spent casings are ejecting - and that when they start going noticeably farther out than usual, to switch out the recoil spring.

My 4.5-inch XDm9 hit just over 17K rounds when I finally decided to change out the recoil and striker springs. Nothing was wrong with the way the gun was working, just felt that it was (finally) time to stop the abuse. Shortly after the replacement, I attended the class I referenced above, which saw somewhere around probably 3,200 to 3.5K rounds on the gun through nearly 5 straight days' worth of shooting, and I definitely did not have any recoil-spring related issues.

I swapped the recoil spring assembly and the striker spring from my then-new range/training-only XDm9 3.8 Compact to my carry 3.8 Compact at a time when the carry had just under 8K rounds on it. On that set of springs, resident in the range/training copy, I saw at least 13K's worth before I decided that enough was enough and it was time to call the abuse-test and swap it out for new.

Not that I'm advocating such long cycles - it's just that I've had the luxury to be able to really abuse my range/training copies, and I thought I'd share what little experience I have.

Also in that vein, while the magazines for the XD/XDm line have been pointed out as a "minus" for this platform, I've actually had very good luck. Of the 8 training magazines I have had for this gun since "day one," I intensively use four of them for live-fire training, with another two serving as backups that I'd bring along for most classes (two more [that's good math!] serve as dry-fire-only mags, with blue tape on the baseplates to help make doubly sure for safety). Do the math with just that 6-day class I've referred to (about 4K rounds), and that's anywhere from 33 cycles per mag (assuming 6 magazines, at 20 rounds per mag instead of the actual capacity of 19) to 50 cycles (assuming 4 mags only) per mag (remember that I used the same mags for the entire class - I did use my 3.8 Compact for one day, but that gun used the same mags). Again, that's just for 6 days' worth of use.

Four years and 60K cumulative rounds on my three XDms - you can do the math in terms of how many mag-changes that is. How many times I've dropped the mags on the concrete of an indoor range or on a rock or in the mud outdoors - how many times those base-plates and feed-lips may have banged against something. You can do the math on how many times I've cycled those springs. To-date, I've yet to have any magazine-related feed issues, and even now, those same magazine springs push up on the plastic followers hard enough to engage the slide-stop each and every time. Also to think about is the fact that during the weeks I spend between classes (and moreso during the winter, where I sadly/embarrassingly sometimes may go a month or more without shooting due to family responsibilities), I leave the mags fully loaded (so there's also no evidence, yet, of magazine-lip spread).

Please don't get me wrong.

Please don't take my post/information as some sort of boast of the XD platform.

Rather, again as I mentioned before, I am very lucky to have the luxury to be able to really abuse my range/training copies, and I thought I'd share what little experience I have.

mikedeanellis, you're absolutely right in your thinking about magazines. How I look at mags is that they're just like brakes or tires for your car: they're absolutely vital to safety and performance - so I'll get the best that I can afford - but they are indeed wear items and completely disposable. I keep a few vetted "defensive" magazines (for all of my guns) loaded with premium defensive ammo, and for the few times a year or years that I may actually test them out, I baby the heck out of them. The separate stash of "training/range" mags get abused and treated like the tools that they are supposed to be. If they break or otherwise start showing with problems, I'll just note them as being problem magazines and even then still throw them back into the training mix - after all, spontaneous malfunctions are an excellent training tool!

So, hopefully, this gives y'all at least some data-points to go on.

Overall, what I am sad about is that there's not sufficient "professional" usage of the XDm for anyone of-repute to have stepped forward to give us citizens and "casual" users some hard specifics on the critical routine maintenance item of critical small-parts refresh/change points. Look at this excellent resource authored by Greg Ellifritz with respect to Glocks (Glock Pistols- What Breaks and How to Fix It Active Response Training and also compare our relative ignorance on this subject to the plethora of information and knowledge of the 1911/2011 platform, and, heck, even the Beretta M9 and its civilian counterparts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts