Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive owned my xdm 40 for about 2 years and it hasent givin me a problem yet. Well, until today. After shooting for awhile my slide locked back like it was out of ammo. But after closer inspection i noticed my slide stop lever broke.:( Ive put around 3500 rnds threw her over the last few years so i guess its not totally crazy to have that part break. Oh well. Think im just going to order a aftermarket slide stop and swap it in. Probaly cheaper and faster then sending it to springfield armory. Heres some pics. Enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Hm, I guess after 3,5K rounds it is okay if something finally breaks. More so since it's not like everybody in here had the same happen.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hm, I guess after 3,5K rounds it is okay if something finally breaks. More so since it's not like everybody in here had the same happen.
3.5 k isnt very much :?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Call springfield they'll send you a replacement for free.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Yah it is certainly not cheaper and most likely not faster to buy aftermarket. Springfield has great customer service, a lifetime warranty, and very fast turn around. That is not a high round count either but I do question how that broke while firing. If you look where the break is that would suggest pressure in a place not very likely to have that much pressure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
What parts are considered wear parts and should be replaced on a schedule? I consider it life critical just like a jet airliner. While a parts might break at 30,000 hrs average, they replace at 10,000 to reduce any chances of breakage.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Something had to have gone bad for that to break off. 3.5k rounds isn't anything in an XD. Maybe the part was just weak from the get go?

·
Registered
155 Posts
seems odd to me as well... I've put about that many through mine that I bought in Feb of this year and haven't had any issues with it. I wonder if maybe your reloads may be a little hot??? I don't know much about it but I've heard guys talk about some higher power reloads make things break that aren't meant to have that kind of strain put on them.

Like i said, i put a ton of rounds through mine so you just convinced me to feed it even more cause at least its still under warranty.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
seems odd to me as well... I've put about that many through mine that I bought in Feb of this year and haven't had any issues with it. I wonder if maybe your reloads may be a little hot??? I don't know much about it but I've heard guys talk about some higher power reloads make things break that aren't meant to have that kind of strain put on them.

Like i said, i put a ton of rounds through mine so you just convinced me to feed it even more cause at least its still under warranty.
Ive never fired reloads threw my xdm . Always factory ammo. Ive just Been saving brass in the hopes to one day have enough money to buy a reloading setup.;) It will be replaced with a stainless steel slide stop. I just dont trust mim or injected mold parts. Ive also had a 1911 ejector break that was also a mim part. Some manufactures pump out the firearms because of the curent demand in the market. And in doing so the quality of parts are effected. Not just in part quality but in the materials thats being used. There is no way around this. Just my two scents.

Ive seen on a few other posts that this has happened before....

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-sa-xd-xd-m-talk/66487-broken-slide-release-headed-back-sa.html

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Have you ever had the thumb pushing the slide lock problem that a lot of people have had to work through?

Just a thought........
Reply yes i have hit the slide released with my my thumb before. However ive corrected my grip position well before the breakage. Called springfield and there sending me a new one. Excellent customer service.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Reply yes i have hit the slide released with my my thumb before. However ive corrected my grip position well before the breakage. Called springfield and there sending me a new one. Excellent customer service.
I figured they would send a new one.

As far as the thumb thing...my thought was that if it was a contanst problem with pushing the stop up with your thumb that the slide stop would be taking wore abuse from front to back movement. It was however just a thought

1 - 19 of 19 Posts