Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, I'm new to the forum - my second post.

I just purchased the XDm-40 for home defense (HD) - not to carry. And yes, I already have a 12 gauge...:)

I'd appreciate some recommendations regarding good brands/loads for (a) target practice, and (b) HD applications (short range)...

Finally, I saw some Federal Premium Personal Defense "Low recoil" 135 grain "hydra shok" hollow-points at a dealer recently. Can someone give me the lowdown on this ammo ?

Thanks in advance for the help. I know I'm going to enjoy this forum and learn a LOT!

·
Registered
280 Posts
blazer brass for the range

hydra shok and gold dots for defense.

thats what i use, whatever you decide to get take it to the range and see if your pistol agrees with it

·
Registered
708 Posts
Federal Premium Personal Defense "Low recoil" 135 grain "hydra shok" hollow-points
The "Low Recoil" loads have less powder in them, sorta designed for Smaller Carry Guns & for Women that don't like the heavier recoil of standard rounds. At close range for defense, I am sure they'll do the job. Personally, I would go for 165 grain or 180 grain Speer Gold Dot, or same grains in Federal HST.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I shoot Remington UMC 180 grain FMJ from Academy 54.95 for 250 round brick in my XDM-40..........also shoot the UMC in my XD-9 for target.
For Self Def. I carry Speer Gold Dot in the 40 and Remington Golden Sabre in the 9.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for recommendations. While I was out today I picked up a 100-round WWB for $29. That's all they had a WalliWorld... Hope this will be good enough for my first 30 minutes at the range :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
For practice Federal HST 180gr for Home Defense Federal HST 180gr. Train as though you were using it for HD. But that's just my $.02, :cool:

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've been shooting the WWB with no problems at all. I like the 165gr for the range over the 180gr - I just seem to shoot it more accurately. Blazer Brass is the best deal around here though.

For Defense I keep a couple of mags loaded with Federal HST and CorBon 155gr. They both feed and cycle flawlessly at the range.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I'm a fan of any CCI ammo...BB is the cheapest at Walmart and I also like the 135 grain "low-recoil" ammo by federal...I have trouble finding it so now I have their 180 grain JHP...

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
Yep, ditto that on the BlazerBrass. My preference for range use, unless I can find PMC or Sellier&Bellot. Definitely best bang for the price.

For carry, either Ranger SXT or SilverTip. After my initial 200 round session on Friday, I put a full magazine of SilverTips through it and stacked 'em right on top of each other.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ditto BB from Wally World for practice, Federal HST 180-grain for carry from ammunitiontogo.com
I like Winchester Ranger T-Series too, but they cost twice as much as the HST and are harder to find.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Has anyone tried the bulk reloaded .40 S&W ammo from Georgia Arms? They offer 1000 rounds of 180 gr FMJ for $240 + $22. Are they a dependable seller and the product OK for target shooting?

Georgia Arms - .40 S & W

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
I recently found blazer brass at wal-mart for $12.59 a box. The federal 135 grain are easy to shoot accurately and fast, I think that that's what they were designed for.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Ditto BB from Wally World for practice, Federal HST 180-grain for carry from ammunitiontogo.com
I like Winchester Ranger T-Series too, but they cost twice as much as the HST and are harder to find.

I just ordered some Ranger-T's last week and hope to get them soon. When I was at the gun show this past weekend though, one of the ammo dealers said that Winchester (as of last week) is now only shipping Ranger-T's directly to departments and not to distributors (who have been selling to the public). I haven't found any information online to backup this statement, though. He also said the same thing of Federal HydraShok's, which sounds absurd, given that has been around forever and has never been designated as LEO ammo. Probably more hype to drive up prices and demand.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Has anyone tried the bulk reloaded .40 S&W ammo from Georgia Arms? They offer 1000 rounds of 180 gr FMJ for $240 + $22. Are they a dependable seller and the product OK for target shooting?

Georgia Arms - .40 S & W
I just bout 1000 rds of 40 cal from GA and have had no problems at all yet. I bought it based on high recommendations from others on a TN gun forum. I am pleased with my purchase.

·
Premium Member
386 Posts
Range: Winchester White Box FMJ (walmart 28.00) for .40 s&w

Defense: Federal HydroShoks or HST (if you can find it), I also like the Speer Gold Dots both in either 165 grain or 180 grain.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
My preference for range ammo is 180 gr. Remington UMC. Mainly because it's sold in 250 round bricks at wally world for not much more than 165 gr. WWB.

For defence, it's the Winchester Ranger T Series 180 grain JHP. Even when I was having feed issues with my XDm-40, that ammunition was 100% reliable. Most likely because the diameter at the point is smaller than any other JHP that I have tried.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Blazer Brass 180gr FMJ from WM @ $12.87 is the best deal on factoy ammo I've found. I also like the 165gr FMJ Winchester White Box for WM @ $28.87 too. They both function fine in my XDm. Remington UMC is available in 250 round cartons for decent price too (I can't remember the exact price but it is cheaper at WM than at Bass Pro Shops).

I bought 1000 rounds of Georgia Arms "remanufactured" ammo at a local Gun Show for $210 a couple of months ago and it functions great as well.

For HD, I have 4 mags loaded with Cor-Bon 150gr JHP, Federal HST HP 155gr JHP, and Remington Golden Saber 165gr JHP. All three of these operate great in the XDm although I haven't fired more than two mags of each because of their price.

I also just picked up an Insight Procyon XTi Tac Light that seems to be designed specifically for the XDm... The perfect nightstand combo for me.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Remington High Velocity 155gr JHP's. :p for range and carry. I do have a special clip of Hornady TAP 180gr JHP's that stay in when at home.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts