Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I shot around 350 rounds yesterday out of my XDM 40 4.5. I went to clean it today and noticed what looks like a chunk missing in the slide around the spring pocket with a jagged edge and crack. I don't remeber it looking like this when I cleaned it last week. Anybody else think this doesn't look right?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
I would guess you had a fired round unexpectedly and prematurely contact with the next round and it seems it KB'ed.

Did you notice anything off during your last few shots ? What kind of ammo were you using ? I asked for a picture taken a little further because it's early and your pic is so Zoomed in i'm having trouble addressing your exact area of failure but it does look like an unnoticed kaboom.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have only shot Fed AE or WWB lately. It ran good except for failing to feed twice (empty case ejected fine), but one of my mag springs was noticeably weaker than the others, so I'm pretty sure I know the cause of that. I was doing a shooting class and shot some of my best groups yet as a relatively new shooter. The last mag ran fine.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The material at that point is exceptionally thin, by design, as the two edges of the machined holes for the barrel and recoil spring overlap there. I have XDms with a small piece of metal missing right in the same spot as your pictures. I suppose if you shoot it enough, further chipping at that point is bound to happen sooner or later from the recoil spring bouncing around in there and the mechanical stress during shooting. Though it isn't the prettiest thing in the world, it is harmless. Ugly, but harmless. Shoot on.

And no, this isn't a good reason to dicker it up with a Dremel. ;)

·
Registered
311 Posts
The material at that point is exceptionally thin, by design, as the two edges of the machined holes for the barrel and recoil spring overlap there. I have XDms with a small piece of metal missing right in the same spot as your pictures. I suppose if you shoot it enough, further chipping at that point is bound to happen sooner or later from the recoil spring bouncing around in there and the mechanical stress during shooting. Though it isn't the prettiest thing in the world, it is harmless. Ugly, but harmless. Shoot on.

And no, this isn't a good reason to dicker it up with a Dremel. ;)
I completely disagree with this whole statement. This is a firearm you paid money for to defend your life, I'll bet this is t how the gun is designed or expected to operate. You should contact SA and send it in. It doesn't matter how many rounds you fire the slide should stay in tact to be reliable.

·
Registered
7,537 Posts
Rebelman06, You shot 350 rounds a day i Think too much.
I shot about 20-25 rounds for a day only.
Typical 8-hour training classes range anywhere from 150 to 500 rounds per training day.

I've shot upwards of 4000 rounds over the course of 6 days of training, pretty much back-to-back.

What the OP is describing, that's not "too much" shooting, not at all.

That's a problem with the gun. Send it in to SA and get it addressed.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I called SA today and the CS rep had me email them some photos. They said it was probably the "relief cut" and that a jagged edge is normal because it isn't always filed down. CS rep was going to pass the photos on to a repair tech for confirmation. I will post an update when I get one.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I still haven't got a call or email back from SA. I shot my first USPSA match on Saturday and put another 200 flawless rounds down range shooting Federal bulk. I'm thinking it's not an issue.

·
Registered
81 Posts
no bueno. I wouldn't shoot it any more if you wan't Springy to take care of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From SA:
-------------
Hi Andrew,

I apologize for the delay in my response. I did confirm with a technician that it is indeed your relief cut, which is normal. You do not need to be concerned with the jagged edges, as they will not affect the function or accuracy of your pistol. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thank you!

Kate
Customer Service Representative
Springfield Armory
-------------

1 - 14 of 14 Posts