Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm in the process of finding a new job, and a couple of the options I am looking at now are in in CA or NJ, both of which seem to have pretty restrictive gun laws that are convoluted and confusing at best, and unconstitutional at worst, IMHO. (Aside: in reading the NJ statutes, there is actually a section in the code that serves no purpose other than to brag that NJ had at the time that section was written some of the "most progressive" gun laws in the nation! Talk about arrogance!)

I have some handguns that are on "the CA list" and hold no more than 10 rnds; however, I also have an XDm .40, which I don't particularly want to part with. Unfortunately, the 16rnd mag's (all 6 of them :] ) are not allowed for civilians in CA etc. Are any 10rnd mag's available for the XDm series yet to make them compliant with some of these anti-gun jurisdictions?

Thanks,
Alchemist77

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
No there are not (10 round mags for the XDm), and Springfield will not make them either! That is one reason the gun is not on the California list. I am sorry to hear that your only possibility of employment means surrendering your Constitutional rights.

California MIGHT allow you to bring in your XDm from out of state if you should choose to live there. There was some discussion of this in another thread. NJ... Not so much!

Either way, I hope that you are able to find suitable employment without either of those options.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, inquiring minds want to know. I spoke with a CS rep at Springfield a couple of months ago that said 10 rd. XDm 40 mags would be available this summer.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
10 round magazines would be great for USPSA production class, since in this division you are only allowed to load your magazines at 10 rounds...
I know I can use my 16 round magazine in my XDM-40 but I am not too keen on dropping my magazines in the dirt to change to a fresh one during a match...I will probably get a lot of flack on this one LOL!

·
Registered
48 Posts
You can absolutely bring your XDM 40 to California legally. The magazines are not technically legal, but it's pretty rare for that to be an issue. You'll fill out a form (available online at the California D.O.J. website) and send in $19 and you're good to go. The roster doesn't apply to pre-owned firearms.

SA will come through with the low-capacity mags at some point, by all accounts. Until then, you can come up with a clever modification (search this forum), or you can just keep a low profile and enjoy.

The point is that you can have the XDM here 100% legal. The mag thing is a little fiddly at this point. In truth, I've found nobody who knows of a case where a person was prosecuted for having a regular magazine UNLESS he was also going down for committing a gun crime. As a stand-alone offense, there's essentially no record of it causing serious trouble for an otherwise law-abiding gun owner. It's basically on the books as leverage and added charges for bad guys.

And I agree with you 100% that the CA state firearms laws are outrageous and illegal. As always, tune in to Calguns.net for good legal advice and news of the most recent battles for freedom in this oppressive state.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm stationed in NJ and we have a 15 round limit. Our .40 mags are ONE round over cap... some thing so trivial could result in a federal crime...

The work-around is to have your magazines modified by a gunsmith to block you from loading a 16th round in the magazine. I would imagine a qualified gunsmith could cap your mags at 10 rounds for CA (if that is the limit).

From what the range officer tells me, this is legal and this is what I have done.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
I'm stationed in NJ and we have a 15 round limit. Our .40 mags are ONE round over cap... some thing so trivial could result in a federal crime...

The work-around is to have your magazines modified by a gunsmith to block you from loading a 16th round in the magazine. I would imagine a qualified gunsmith could cap your mags at 10 rounds for CA (if that is the limit).

From what the range officer tells me, this is legal and this is what I have done.

That is not a federal law! You would be breaking a state law, not federal.

don

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You can absolutely bring your XDM 40 to California legally. The magazines are not technically legal, but it's pretty rare for that to be an issue. You'll fill out a form (available online at the California D.O.J. website) and send in $19 and you're good to go. The roster doesn't apply to pre-owned firearms.

SA will come through with the low-capacity mags at some point, by all accounts. Until then, you can come up with a clever modification (search this forum), or you can just keep a low profile and enjoy.

The point is that you can have the XDM here 100% legal. The mag thing is a little fiddly at this point. In truth, I've found nobody who knows of a case where a person was prosecuted for having a regular magazine UNLESS he was also going down for committing a gun crime. As a stand-alone offense, there's essentially no record of it causing serious trouble for an otherwise law-abiding gun owner. It's basically on the books as leverage and added charges for bad guys.

And I agree with you 100% that the CA state firearms laws are outrageous and illegal. As always, tune in to Calguns.net for good legal advice and news of the most recent battles for freedom in this oppressive state.
Yeah, as I read through the maze of statutes in CA, it seemed to me (I'm not an attorney though) that owning the high cap magazines isn't illegal, but importing them into CA after the date of the statute may be illegal. So, if I already own them and bring them in with me during a relocation to CA, is that legal or not, since it is not a transfer, but might be considered to be an importation? Not perfectly clear to me at this point...

Also unfortunately, looking at the counties where I am considering a couple of jobs, they seem to be among the ones that don't issue permits to regular civilians who aren't among the "elite" or "connected" crowds. One would think that those kinds of blatant discrimination would be able to be successfully challenged in the courts!

Alchemist77

·
Registered
516 Posts
You will have to leave your mags at the state line. You are good to go with the firearm. Per this as long as you don't offer it for sale/trade.

Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

From the CA DOJ site.

Firearms Information for New California Residents

Handguns

Any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer" and is required to do one of the following within 60 days:

Complete and submit a NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT form along with $19.00 to the Department of Justice. A separate report form and $19.00 fee is required for each handgun reported. NEW RESIDENT HANDGUN OWNERSHIP REPORT forms can be obtained from California Department of Motor Vehicles' offices, licensed firearms dealers, local police and sheriff's departments, the California Department of Justice Bureau of Firearms at (916) 263-4887, and from the Online Forms Page at this site.
Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California licensed firearms dealer or to another individual using a California licensed firearms dealer to conduct the transaction.
or

Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California police or sheriff's department. Persons choosing this option should contact the law enforcement agency for instructions prior to transporting the handgun(s) to the agency.
Any person transporting handguns in California is required under California law to transport those handguns unloaded and in a locked container other than the glove compartment or utility compartment of a vehicle.

SHOTGUNS AND RIFLES

California law does not require persons moving into California report rifles or shotguns. One important thing to be aware of though is that certain rifles and shotguns may be defined as assault weapons in California and are prohibited from entering this state under most normal circumstances. Additionally, machine guns and ammunition feeding devices with the capacity to accept greater that 10 rounds may not be transported into California.

Please be aware that failure to comply with these mandated handgun requirements could result in criminal prosecution (Penal Code Section 12072(g)).

Frequently Asked Questions - Public - Bureau of Firearms - California Dept. of Justice - Office of the Attorney General

If I have a large-capacity magazine, do I need to get rid of it?
No. Continued possession of large-capacity magazines (able to accept more than 10 rounds) that you owned in California before January 1, 2000, is not prohibited. However as of January 1, 2000, it is illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend any large-capacity magazine in California except by law enforcement agencies, California peace officers, or licensed dealers.

(PC Section 12020 (b)(19-29))

I am moving into California and I own several handguns. What are the new-resident registration requirements?
You are considered to be a personal handgun importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your otherwise California-legal firearms with you, but you must report all of your handguns to the DOJ within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. [PDF 518 kb / 2 pg] You are not required to report rifles or shotguns. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machineguns, or assault weapons into California.

(PC sections 12001(n), 12072(f)(2))

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Isn't this a moot point? There are no jobs in Cali?
There are some jobs, depending on what your occupation is.... perhaps the better question is whether or not a normal person can afford to relocate and live there, since the cost of housing in many areas is still pretty insane even after the market drops this year, at least in the area's that I've been looking (Anaheim, San Jose).

Is it nuts to move to an area, spend $500K + on a modest house that has a relatively high probability of being destroyed by earthquake or wildfire, or taxed out of existence to support a failing liberal state govt. which openly supports perversion and prevents law-abiding citizens from exercising their constitutional rights to keep and bear arms and freely practice religion? Maybe so.... but surely there are still some good people there.

Alchemist77

·
Registered
160 Posts
There are some jobs, depending on what your occupation is.... perhaps the better question is whether or not a normal person can afford to relocate and live there, since the cost of housing in many areas is still pretty insane even after the market drops this year, at least in the area's that I've been looking (Anaheim, San Jose).

Is it nuts to move to an area, spend $500K + on a modest house that has a relatively high probability of being destroyed by earthquake or wildfire, or taxed out of existence to support a failing liberal state govt. which openly supports perversion and prevents law-abiding citizens from exercising their constitutional rights to keep and bear arms and freely practice religion? Maybe so.... but surely there are still some good people there.

Alchemist77

Yeah, just seems like the state is completely falling apart. I'm guessing you would get a lot of use out of your XDM and I'm not talking at the range LOL.

I don't know what you do, but have you considered Texas? They seem to be less affected than most areas by what is going on.

I dunno, I used to live in a People's Republic myself (Mass) and after leaving I would never go back. Growing up there I never realized how oppressed I actually was. Don't do it man, if your beloved XDM isn't welcome, that should tell you something.

Good luck either way. :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in NJ and just picked up an XD(M) 40 yesterday. I'd love to pick up some extra mags, but as we all know, I can't. I just called up Springfield to see if they have any plans to make 10 round mags available and the response I got was "There is nothing planned right now."

Bastards!

·
Registered
48 Posts
You will have to leave your mags at the state line. You are good to go with the firearm. Per this as long as you don't offer it for sale/trade.
From the CA DOJ site.

[snip]

Additionally, machine guns and ammunition feeding devices with the capacity to accept greater that 10 rounds may not be transported into California.

[snip]

Continued possession of large-capacity magazines (able to accept more than 10 rounds) that you owned in California before January 1, 2000, is not prohibited. However as of January 1, 2000, it is illegal to buy, manufacture, import, keep for sale, expose for sale, give or lend any large-capacity magazine in California except by law enforcement agencies, California peace officers, or licensed dealers.
All true, and well researched. Thanks very much for all that.

The curious gap in the last sentence that has sparked so much debate is that "possession" is not included among the prohibitions of the law. This has led to a lot of discussion and virtually no enforcement against posession. It's logical to infer that if you possess a magazine not available before 2000 (the XDM), that you either bought it or imported it, and they could back into a violation that way, but since the act of simple possession is not spelled out as a crime, I've yet to hear of a case being built in any way. The intent is much more to target trafficking than ownership. Technically, yes, you have to leave your magazines at the border, or irreversibly modify them to be low-capacity before bringing them in. Realistically, if you're not selling them into the state for commerce or smuggling them in bulk for bad guys, etc., you're not going to end up in hot water. The day you drive across the border, you technically violate the "import" clause, but "possession" isn't expressly banned. (I know, it's a technicality, but it just doesn't seem to come up.)

I don't wave mine around at the range, but I've shot next to police officers and not been hassled, even in the loopy SF Bay Area.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Clearly you need to send a letter to the State of california promising not to load more than 10 rounds into a magazine at once.

I never understood the capacity limit, if mags are all the same physical size how do you keep that 11th round out? whats to stop you from illegalling modding your mags? How would California know if you did such a mod? Does CHP does mag checks where they dump all our rounds out? Several trees have probably died so that gun makers can put that silly sticker saying "this gun is illegal in California with high capacity mags". Sorry i wish i could be more helpful and less bitter

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry i wish i could be more helpful and less bitter
You're not bitter enough, not by a long way. You must not live here.

Everybody knows that 10 bullets in a person never killed anybody. It's the 11th one that does the damage. :rolleyes:

Fookin' ijits.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No there are not (10 round mags for the XDm), and Springfield will not make them either! That is one reason the gun is not on the California list. I am sorry to hear that your only possibility of employment means surrendering your Constitutional rights.

California MIGHT allow you to bring in your XDm from out of state if you should choose to live there. There was some discussion of this in another thread. NJ... Not so much!

Either way, I hope that you are able to find suitable employment without either of those options.
Are you in the know if Springfield makes a 10 rd mag for the XDM Elite or if there is a 10 rd mag for the XDM will it interchange with the Elite?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts