Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriously thinking about getting a 5.25. For those of you that have both or even just the 5.25, when would you shoot the 4.5 if you have the 5.25??

I have other guns for nightstand etc. Wouldn't want to get rid of the 4.5 but don't see shooting it much.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
If you don't want to start a collection of stuff you might not use, much, if ever,

You need to ask yourself,
What the advantage would be in selling the 4.5, for less than what you paid for it, and purchasing the 5.25.

·
Registered
57 Posts
It all depends on the end user. I own 3 XDM 4.5's in .40 and use them for USPSA and IDPA etc. When the 5.25 is released in .40 I plan to get one to use for USPSA Limited as I like the idea of the increased sight radius and velocity from a longer gun. In the end I may find that the 4.5 is a better fit, wont know for sure till I shoot it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I only own the XDM 5.25 - so take my opinion based on that.

If I owned a XDM 4.5 in 9mm and then bought the XDM 5.25 - the 4.5 would become a safe queen (never shot again) or I'd sell it.

If you don't want both the 4.5 & 5.25 in 9mm you could wait awhile and get the 5.25 in .40 or .45 (assuming they will be released).

·
Registered
908 Posts
I've always preferred the shorter barreled versions of the XD/ XDM platforms.

I carried and shot a XD-45 service model for over 3 years. I just didn't like the feel, balance and timing of shooting an XD 5" tactical model.

When the XDM first came out, I bought one, thinking the 4.5" version might be workable for me.
I did all the usual mods (sights, trigger, etc) and sold it fairly quickly because I still couldn't get along with the longer barrel.

A friend of mine showed up the other day with the new 5.25. I ran a mag through it and it was quite accurate.

It wasn't until he left that I started realizing that all the balance and timing issues that bothered me with the XD tactical and the XDM 4.5 didn't seem to surface when I shot the 5.25.

I'm thinking the slide lightening process on the 5.25 may have removed just enough weight that it feels more like the service or 3.8 to me...

I'm gonna shoot that gun again real soon. MIGHT have to get me one...:cool:

·
Registered
908 Posts
My experience mirrors Dirk's, you have a long sight radius, adjustable sights, and the balance of a service model, not to mention the accuracy.
So I wasn't just trippin'...

If someone like you says the same thing, I'll have to get one!

Makes me wonder if I could have the slide of a XDM 4.5 machined out and opened up like the 5.25... Might be a new carry/IDPA gun... then I wouldn't have to wait for the XDM .45 in 3.8!

Mo money, Mo money...:cool:

·
Registered
908 Posts
...or maybe I could just make the 5.25 my daily carry...:cool::cool::shock::shock:

·
Banned
38,920 Posts

Makes me wonder if I could have the slide of a XDM 4.5 machined out and opened up like the 5.25... Might be a new carry/IDPA gun... then I wouldn't have to wait for the XDM .45 in 3.8!

YES, that is possible, and from what I've read the 4.5 is a better platform for an open gun.
But that's just what I've read, elsewhere.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have both a 4.5 & a 5.25. I agree the 5.25 has better balance and is just more fun to shoot, but I practice with the 4.5. I use to carry the 4.5 slide in my range bag and use my 5.25 "lower" to practice so I was using the same trigger - now I have basically the same trigger in both. Practicing with the 4.5 just makes my shooting with the 5.25 even better - if that makes any sense. I do the same thing with my Kimbers I practice with my 3" Ultra Carry II and when I switch to the 5" I am more accurate but a little slower. With the XDm 4.5 to 5.25 I pick up speed and accuracy.

Would I buy a 4.5 if I had a 5.25 - no, would I ever consider selling my 4.5 - no.

Dave

·
Registered
4,011 Posts

Lightening the slide would not make it legal for IDPA.

·
Registered
21 Posts
This may be because you are doing just that - practicing.
Agreed practice = improvement :D

What I was trying to say I get bigger jumps in improvement by practicing with a shorter gun because small mistakes are amplified. Kind of like practicing to get a 1" group at 400yds then shooting at 100yds seems easy.

Dave

·
Registered
74 Posts
Agreed practice = improvement :D
What I was trying to say I get bigger jumps in improvement by practicing with a shorter gun mostly because small mistakes are amplified. Kind of like practicing to get a 1" group at 400yds then shooting at 100yds seems easy.
Dave
I do agree with you to a certain extent - and don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to be negative.

But I've always felt that if you want to become better with a specific pistol - then it makes sense to stick with it until you do.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I own all 3 XDMs, the 3.8 compact in 40, a 4.5" XDM in 40, and the 5.25" in 9mm. Honestly, i love them all. I only got the 3.8 cause i wanted a smaller 40, and if I had to choose between those 2, if only allowed 1, it would be the 4.5. Having said that, i love my 5.25 more than any of them, but I have also put a $150 trigger on it, and use it for IDPA, its also deadly accurate it. I think each one has a place, if i didint compete in IDPA/USPSA, ect.., i would probably only got the 4.5 and called it a day. If you have desire to compete, get the 5.25, its a great all around gun, and scary how accurate and precise constantly it is.

·
Registered
74 Posts
There is material removed from the rear of the slide internally. If you take the slide off a 5.25, you will see additional lightening cuts that differ from the 4.5.
This is the first time I've heard about this.

Since you brought it up - and I don't have a 4.5 - how much of a difference is it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts