Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am soon going to be in the market for a new pistol. The intended purpose of this new firearm will for range fun/training, home defence and maybe down the road local competitions.

I have narrowed it down to the xdm 4.5 9mm w/ od green frame or the CZ P-09 9mm with flat dark earth frame. I know the frame color makes no difference in the function of the gun but it does play a part in price and availability. And vanity is my weakness and I would like my range fun gun to stand out from all the other all black guns.

I have owned an xdm 4.5 and a few other xd's and I really like the xdm platform. It fit me well and I could shoot well with it. Also SA is about an hours drive from my house and their customer service is top notch. I have never held or even seen the p-09 in person. No one around my area carrys much if any cz handguns. If I can't find one to check out in person it may be kind of a moot point.

The two seem to stack up very close in specs. Weight is within a few oz of each other. Both hold 19+1. the barrle is 4.5" on the xdm and 4.7" on the p09. Night sights come standard on the fde p09. I would have to pay an extra $100 or so to upgrade the xdm sights. The only big difference I see is that the xdm is striker fired and the p09 is DA/SA with and exposed hammer. I like both for different reasons. I have always liked way a single action trigger feels (not so much with the double action) but the trigger on my last xdm was not too far behind. I will most likely replace the trigger or parts of the trigger on ether gun so quality aftermarket parts availability is also a selling point. Cajan gun works and cz custom are starting to come out with parts for the p-09 and I'm sure more will soon follow after the p09 has been out longer.
I am interested in opinions on which gun would be easier or better to train new shooters with. My wife has expressed interest in shooting more so that also plays into my decision. Both guns have ajustable back straps so they could be ajusted to fit smaller hands but most cz's I have seen seem to be suited to fit people with larger hands and longer fingers. I'm not sure if the p09 will be the same.

The price difference is about $100 for the basic modle.
And both modles I'm looking at are right around the same price give or take. But like I said the flat dark earth p-09 comes with meprolite tritium night sights. The tritium sights are not a huge deal for me but from a home defence stand point they seem like they would be nice to have. Also tracking down a od green xdm 4.5 might not be as easy as the fde p09 due to the od frame xdm was discontinued a few years ago as I understand. I did find a few when I did a search that "said" they were in stock.

I'm not sure what gun has the edge when it comes to accuracy. If anyone has an opinion on that subject please chime in.

And any other info that anyone wants to provide that might sway my decision is very welcome.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Love my xdm 4.5 9mm. My first pistol and using it for the same reasons you are great pistol imo. No experience with the p-09

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had an XDM and now only have my XD Tactical & XDs, found I was better w/ the XD. No strike against the XDM, only the tactical was better in my hands. I also gave a CZ 75B in 40 that I am very pleased with.

Have fondled the CZ P09 & was impressed. Was very comfortable, easy to draw & get a sight picture & I liked the decocking feature.

I recommend trying one before buying, often what may seem to fit better, isn't better in recoil, etc.

All that being said, think you can't go wrong with either- both great guns w/ good reputations.

Good luck.

·
Registered
31 Posts
the main issue is do you want striker fired ( Xdm ) or DA/SA with the ability to be cocked and locked. I have owned both I think I would give the edge the CZ.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I don't have an XD. I do have a couple XDMs. A 3.8" 9MM and a 5.25" 9MM. Both were 100% reliable. Accuracy on the 5.25" was disappointing. The 3.8" shot rings around the longer barreled gun. Not just for me but for everyone that shot it (sons, wife, cousin, etc., etc.)

My P09 9MM is absolutely the most accurate semi automatic handgun I've even fired (well, center fire semi auto pistol). Not all guns of the same model/caliber will shoot the same, be as reliable, last as long, etc. But my only P09 9MM is more accurate than all my other semi auto handguns.

I don't think you would go wrong with either. I will point out the P09 magazines are up over $40 each these days. They make a bunch of money on magazine prices. The CZ 75 models are much cheaper to get magazines for. You can buy the Mecgar magazines at about half the price of the CZ branded magazines (which are also made by Mecgar.)

Good luck with which ever model you get.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Except for color I've owned the exact 2 guns you're looking at, and I'd get the CZ first no question about it.

I think it will, in SA mode, outshoot the XD with the mush trigger quite easily. If you fix the XD trigger you'll get them closer but I'd still get the CZ. And as you correctly pointed out there are all kinds of things and custom work you can do to the P-09.

Good luck.

·
Registered
664 Posts
A lot depends on whether you want a striker fired or DA/SA pistol. I own a few XDm/mod.2s and also a P-07 (fde). All are great shooters but spending time with your two choices I personally feel that the Croatian pistols are of better quality compared to Czech.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts