XDM 4.5 9mm question about barrel | Page 2 | Springfield XD Forum

XDM 4.5 9mm question about barrel

Discussion in 'XD-M Discussion Room - XD(M)' started by romanson, May 21, 2020 at 9:08 AM.

1. May 22, 2020 at 7:51 AM #11
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3,593 / 9
    "Cold Blue" products will restore the finish to some degree, but it will just come off at the next use.

If you are looking for a perfect finish for display purposes, you may want to have a spare barrel on-hand to swap out between actual usage sessions ("shooting") and storage/display.

However, be aware that any kind of holster use will also incur wear to the external surfaces of the handgun. Even though properly Melonited surfaces are extremely wear-resistant, it will still wear, as you can again see from the pictures that I cited in the other thread ( "New" XDm9 from Cleveland - POA/POI & magazine questions ) with my XDm9 then pictured at approximately 30,000 live-fire rounds and many, many presentations from the holster.

^ This was addressed in both another member's reply as well as my post (which itself cites several different threads that has to do with polishing the barrel) -

Is this normal please

Asking the same questions repeatedly will not generate different answers............

• Like Like x 1
  2. May 22, 2020 at 9:50 AM #12
    romanson

romanson XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Tnx m8 for entire answer :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. May 22, 2020 at 10:42 AM #13
    TSiWRX

TSiWRX XDTalk 5K Member

Ratings:
    +3,593 / 9
    ^ No problem - just wanted to be sure that you *_actually_* saw the threads and got a chance to read them. :)

4. May 22, 2020 at 11:33 AM #14
    marduk185

marduk185 XDTalk 500 Member

Ratings:
    +368 / 55
    Just send it to me and ill put a battlworn finish on there for ye.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. May 23, 2020 at 10:39 AM #15
    Old School

Old School Super Moderator Staff Member Supporting Vendor

Ratings:
    +48 / 2
    That wear is totally normal. When two metal surfaces contact one another, wear happens. As others suggested, lube all areas that show wear to help minimize the wear. For us, we just shoot our guns and don't worry ourselves with cosmetic things that are only seen when the pistol is taken apart.

6. May 23, 2020 at 2:26 PM #16
    romanson

romanson XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Another question , and this is the last one about barrel ware , I hope so...
    The marks from wear , barrel wear , are they prone now to rust , or I can leave qun like that and not to be concerned about rust?

7. May 23, 2020 at 3:40 PM #17
    pc0y898

pc0y898 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Man. Stop overthinking it. Yes it is still protected. Just wipe it down every now and then. And it will never show rust. Now, if you leave it in a humid basement for years without touching it, you will probably see traces of rust (even on a Glock) but the gun will still function more then likely. Stop treating your xdm like it is a 1911 from Ed Brown or Wilson (and other expensive safe queens). Your xdm was made for the abuse. Not that Ed Brown or Wilson can’t handle the abuse, but you wouldn’t want to do that with guns that beautiful, unless you have a lot of throw away money.

8. May 23, 2020 at 3:41 PM #18
    pc0y898

pc0y898 XDTalk Newbie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Man. Stop overthinking it. Yes it is still protected. Just wipe it down every now and then. And it will never show rust. Now, if you leave it in a humid basement for years without touching it, you will probably see traces of rust (even on a Glock) but the gun will still function more then likely. Stop treating your xdm like it is a 1911 from Ed Brown or Wilson (and other expensive safe queens). Your xdm was made for the abuse. Not that Ed Brown or Wilson can’t handle the abuse, but you wouldn’t want to do that with guns that beautiful, unless you have a lot of throw away money.

9. May 23, 2020 at 3:43 PM #19
    romanson

romanson XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I am sorry , it is a present from my dead goodfather , and thas why I am concerned ......

Sorry please

• Like Like x 1
  10. May 23, 2020 at 3:45 PM #20
    romanson

romanson XDTalk Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    More wear from 100 rounds more....

Attached Files:

• Useful Useful x 1