Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody! Ok so I have an xd 40 standard that iv had for years, I edc a xds45, and I really want a xdm 3.8...real bad...always have...but idk what caliber. Can't decide between 40 and 9...what say you?

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
I have the XDm 3.8 Compact in .45 ACP and I love it. If i had to choose between .40 cal and 9mm, I believe I would go with 9mm. Ammo is a little cheaper and also, more rounds in the mag. The 3.8 Compact comes with an extended mag, which essentially turns it into a 3.8 full size grip.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I would suggest you shoot both.
I have a xdm 3.8 compact in the .40 and love it, my son liked mine enough to get the same gun for himself.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I had the 3.8 compact in .40 but I recently sold it. I liked the gun, but couldn't get over the trigger and didn't want to buy the PRP kit.

Actually sold it to fund my 17L. The only SA I own now is the Range Officer...if I get another I think I'll just go with a XD. I thought in the .40 it was easy to control and after learning the trigger I was accurate with it. But it was the only gun in my collection I was willing to part with. I had a 9mm conversion barrel, recoil spring, 6 16rd mags, 4 11rd mags, TFO's and all the original stuff that came with. I made out pretty well, not to say I won't miss it, but I've been on a 1911, CZ, and Glock kick lately.

I'm one of the few that like the .40 round, as a carry gun that's what I'd buy and that's what I did.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The 9 is great and ammo that doesn't break the bank is nice as well. My friend and my wife both prefer it over the 45 as far as how it handles. I'm still undecided there. 9 is more controllable but for whatever reason I shoot better groups with the 45.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went with the XDMc in .40 mostly because that's what I could find here in CA. I have zero complaints though. The downsides of .40 see, to be cost, recoil, and capacity. The only downside of 9mm seems to be power. I wouldn't trade my 40 for a 9, because I can make follow up shots about the same rate, can't have more than a ten round magazine here anyway, and buying ammo in bulk negates most of the cost difference.

That said, shoot them both and decide which feels right. It's sometimes hard to do, but try to ignore everything you've read and decide solely on your personal experience.

·
Registered
7,533 Posts
Shoot both.

Put yourself on the timer and hold yourself to a standard.

Base your decisions on objective data, not how the gun "feels." :)

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you plan on shooting it a lot go with the 9. If it's more for SD and the safe go with the 40. I went with the 9 only because of the price of ammo at the time. I don't regret it at all. Except I can't get the thought of a .45 out of my mind.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I bought the CDMc in 40. I like the fact it can be a full size grip or short grip and with 11+1 or 16+1 you have great capacity with both. solid accuracy and dependability and excellent edc if it strikes you
Hey everybody! Ok so I have an xd 40 standard that iv had for years, I edc a xds45, and I really want a xdm 3.8...real bad...always have...but idk what caliber. Can't decide between 40 and 9...what say you?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
My xdm 3.8 compact is in 9mm...shoots great and is (very) dependable. Both types of mags have cycled flawlessly for the 2 1/2 years I've owned it. For me it works great in any capacity!

·
Registered
17 Posts
There is no wrong answer when it comes to 9 v 40. I'll take a couple extra 9mm rounds and faster follow up over millimeters expansion. Plenty of good 9mm hollow points out there that will get the job done for self defense. If you are primarily just looking for fun at the range, then 9mm is clear winner in the pocketbook.

I have two XDm 3.8 compact. One in black and one bitone. Over 3k through the black one. You got to love the versatility of this handgun. 13rd +1 in compact very concealable, very accurate option or 19rd +1 full size for range time/zombie killer. I must say if looking for a range gun I recommend prob do not go with the compact. That way you don't have to worry about the different size back straps and extensions. I hope this helps your decision...

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
I prefer 9mm. I can simply boss it around and hit what I want, when I want. I find the 40 just a bit too snappy on the muzzle and its simply harder to keep the front sight on target. I'm quicker with the 9 so 9 it is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the XDS 45 and XDM9 3.8 Compact. Both are excellent pistols for EDC and range use. The 9mm is by far easier to handle and shoot.

I personally would go with 9mm.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I own an XDM 3.8 Compact .40 and find it a bit heavy and bulky to carry concealed. Love the pistol, it's accurate, reliable, and probably my best bet to put the most rounds on target in a close to mid distance encounter. My advice, if you plan to use it as a CCW, go with the 9mm - a couple more rounds and lighter to carry. Also cheaper to shoot in practice. Either way, you can't go wrong with either 9mm or .40.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Personally, I chose the .40 and love it for concealed carry. Pick whichever you shoot better because in the end the only difference between the two calibers is about an ounce or two loaded.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts