Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to purchase a carry gun here soon. Looking at the xdm 3.8 compact but not sure what exactly is the difference between the full size and the compact. Is the compact frame smaller? I know it takes a 13 round magazine so the handle is shorter, but is that the only difference? Is the slide more narrow? Please let me know and sorry if this has been discussed before. I looked on the xd website but didn't really see the answers I'm looking for. Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The only difference the the grip is shorter. It come with a extended mag that hold 19 rounds to make it full size if you want. I'd suggest going to a gun dealer and putting them side by side though.

Sent from my iPhone using Outdoor Forums

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
The height of the grip is the only difference. The compact is much easier to conceal. And it has the ability to become a full size grip with the 19rd mag and the extension. Neither are as concealable as the xds though.

·
Registered
11,292 Posts
Compact. ;)

·
Registered
493 Posts
i don't even know why they have the full size when the compact is available. why limit yourself to a full size when you can have both?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 3.8 compact in 9 mm and love it awesome shooting gun conceals with eas check out comp-tac.com for a holster small company from Houston tx great company got my holster with in 6 days of order

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have the 3.8 compact in 45 and carry it at least 5 days a week from morning to bed time. Rest of the time I pocket carry a S&W 638. Go with the compact and have the best of 2 worlds.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Even though it sounds like you've made a decision I'll chime in. I recently purchased my first carry weapon, an xdm 45 compact. Loved it so much I just purchased a 9mm compact as well.

Ive fired both the standard and compact and actually prefer the compact grip, aside from the range only because I am lazy and hate to stop for reloading I dont see myself every having anything aside from the 9rnd mag in there. I dont have huge hands and the compact grip while a little short I can easily get an adequate grip on it without even thinking about it. The extended mag almost feels too long after you empty a few 9rnd in a row. I think you'll be quite pleased with the purchase.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks again everyone for your input. I am now a proud owner of a xdm 9mm 3.8 compact. Just picked one up tonight. I was actually talking to someone off armslist this morning about buying one, that is why I posted this thread. So I bought it off him tonight. Private party but the gun has never been fired. Pretty happy with the deal. I now have 2 xdm 9mm's. 3.8 compact for carry/Idpa and the 5.25 for competition/uspsa/speed steel. Think it's safe to say I really like xdm's lol. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Btw here is a pic of my 2 xdm's. Couldn't be happier.

Since you already have a competition (5.25), you technically can make your 3.8 full size. Assuming they are the same caliber, the slides are changeable with the smaller grip.

See they swap. That's my 5.25 swapped onto my 3.8 compact.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I also have the xdm 9 compact, it's a fantastic carry pistol! The best part is that it can be a smaller carry gun and a full size house gun if you wish it to be. Go with the compact...

Mine has been flawless in the 3 yrs. I've owned it!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Since you already have a competition (5.25), you technically can make your 3.8 full size. Assuming they are the same caliber, the slides are changeable with the smaller grip.

See they swap. That's my 5.25 swapped onto my 3.8 compact.
That's awesome.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
I wish they offered the 5.25 barrel assembly as an accessory.

I much prefer to carry the 13 round magazine - on the compact, the 19 makes it long and the balance seems to be off. Nice to have those rounds on the range, though.

Congrats on your purchase.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts