Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to decide on a first gun. I think the 3.8 will fit my needs better at the range, but the compact may fit both range/carry roles? How do the grip extensions feel? Should I just go with the gun I want, or opt for versatility? And how versatile is the compact really?

·
Registered
763 Posts
If you get the compact you have the best of both worlds. Compact for carry, full size for whatever purpose you think of. But I will tell you this, if you get the 3.8 and fire a few times, you will wish you had the compact because it simply offers you more of the same gun but with options to carry and conceal.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's kind of what I'm thinking. The last thing I want with my first gun is buyers remorse.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I get buyers remorse every time I buy one. I want more.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I carry the 3.8 full grip, no compact. It conceals well. I personally don't care for the compacts, they seem to top heavy in the xd & xdm. But again, that is just "My personal" opinion.
Get what You like, and fits your needs.

Stay Safe.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I carry the 3.8 full grip, no compact. It conceals well. I personally don't care for the compacts, they seem to top heavy in the xd & xdm. But again, that is just "My personal" opinion.
Get what You like, and fits your needs.

Stay Safe.
That's what I was thinking, and kind of why I'm leaning towards the full grip. thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm a thin framed guy at 5'8" and a buck fifty, so I opted for the 3.8 40 SW Compact with a MTAC holster for my everyday carry. Besides with the 16 rd mag it’s the same as the regular 3.8. Essentially you get two guns for the price of one. And in an economic stand point compact models sell better and are generally worth more than their full size counterpart. The only thing I thought was essential to add was the pearce pinky grip extension.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bought the 3.8 because I found a good deal and I wanted the full grip. It did conceal well, and was more fun at range. You will probably eventually buy both anyway so don't worry about buyers remorse.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I picked up my permit today after months of waiting and picked up my 3.8 compact today .put 150 thru it today and love it. I got the compact for versatility if I didn't get compact I wouuld have just gotten the 4.5 inch barrel. With an iwb holster it seems barrel length wouldn't change concealability. I bought it chambered it 9mm

·
Registered
120 Posts
I bought my first gun back in early February, and I got the XDm .40 3.8. Well I have since gotten my conceal carry permit, and decided after carrying a little that the compact was the way to go. I traded my XDm .40 3.8 in and got the XDm .40 compact, and it was a perfect decision. I have smaller hands so with a pearce pinky extension the compact fits my hand perfectly, and with the extension to use full size mags it makes the grip the same as the regular 3.8. slight texture difference, not good or bad, just a little different feel then the regular full grip. I personally don't see the point in getting the regular 3.8 as with the compact available in the 3.8 it is both guns in 1. I could conceal the regular 3.8 but no where near as good or as comfortable as the compact. Honestly when I had the regular 3.8, as soon as I held the compact it sold me. I shot the compact on saturday, and I must say it is a pleasure to shoot. I can see someone getting the regular 3.8 if they never plan to carry it, but if you plan to carry at all my vote would definitely be for the compact with have had both guns. Hope this helps, and good luck on your decision. Either way you will have a great firearm.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I bought the 3.8 because I found a good deal and I wanted the full grip. It did conceal well, and was more fun at range. You will probably eventually buy both anyway so don't worry about buyers remorse.
I see that you have the 3.8 in a regular grip for sale, and you are keeping the comact???

·
Registered
763 Posts
I traded all my 3.8's in for compact models......and bought the Ruger SR9C also because of the versatility. Just felt the need to always have more options than not.....and now that all my handguns are compact, I am pretty satisfied that I made the best decisions. And they all feel like an "Excalibur" to me.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I was in the boat man couldn't decide on my first handgun either, but then I remembered an old saying my grandfather said which was if something tries to do too many jobs it is good at none of them. I went with the 3.8. The 4.5 is top heavy, as is the compact in small form also you lose the pinky. the 3.8 does print on my large body but, I would recomend shooting both with the compact with the xtention and without. i bought my 3.8 in .40 a month ago and no buyers remorse mainly because i am looking at getting a designate carry gun like the lc9 or lcr. just my 2 cents but I hope this helps and enjoy which ever you get

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree. I feel like I can always angle it a little to carry. I think I just like the full size better. And, yes, I can TOTALLY see myself buying the compact next anyway. I kind of like the old XD sub compacts too. Their seemingly bulkier slide looks tough! I want BOTH your guns Tenzzz! But, one thing at a time...

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was in the boat man couldn't decide on my first handgun either, but then I remembered an old saying my grandfather said which was if something tries to do too many jobs it is good at none of them. I went with the 3.8. The 4.5 is top heavy, as is the compact in small form also you lose the pinky. the 3.8 does print on my large body but, I would recomend shooting both with the compact with the xtention and without. i bought my 3.8 in .40 a month ago and no buyers remorse mainly because i am looking at getting a designate carry gun like the lc9 or lcr. just my 2 cents but I hope this helps and enjoy which ever you get
Same boat- same page. That's really how I feel. I want my first to be perfect. I can always get a sub compact later, or a Taurus Millennium as a carry.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
You haven't mentioned which caliber yet or I may have missed it. I have both . . . the 3.8 in .40 and 3.8 compact (w/Pearce) in 9mm. I also have the 4.5 .45. I've alway's liked the full size grip (just feels great in my hands). Also with the .40, muzzle flip is slightly reduced. I shoot mainly range/target and even though I don't c/c, I like the looks of the short little sucker and figured I'd get the compact in 9 just for the heck of it. Figured shooting with the short mag, the 9 would be easier to control. But the main reason I got it is that I'm "addicted".

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SHOOT said:
You haven't mentioned which caliber yet or I may have missed it. I have both . . . the 3.8 in .40 and 3.8 compact (w/Pearce) in 9mm. I also have the 4.5 .45. I've alway's liked the full size grip (just feels great in my hands). Also with the .40, muzzle flip is slightly reduced. I shoot mainly range/target and even though I don't c/c, I like the looks of the short little sucker and figured I'd get the compact in 9 just for the heck of it. Figured shooting with the short mag, the 9 would be easier to control. But the main reason I got it is that I'm "addicted".
I can definitely see myself getting a bi-tone .45 4.5 way down the road just to have a "heavy".

·
Registered
52 Posts
-I was in this boat around the end of March. Couldnt decide caliber and size for my first gun, so I went to the range and tried out some guns.
-.40 felt like a breeze in all xd's and I handled the compact quite alright and figured I could get more tuned in with practice. I went with the Xdm .40 compact.
-I enjoy all 3 mag variations. With the compact mag my pinkie curls around the butt of the grip. With 16 round and no grip extension my pinkie kind of floats or lightly rests on the bare mag. I tend to sometimes just stick my pinkie out and lock it under my grip with not too much tension. The Mag extension for full grip is very comfortable. I've never experienced any pinching.
-To me the whole reason I chose within the xd style was because of the weight. The compact isnt light and is worthy of .40 cal. If I wanted a lighter snapy'er gun I would have gone with a glock. I havent gone the C/C route yet, but from what I hear about Cross breed Super tuck holsters just about any weight wouldnt be an issue. That kind of judgement can only come from personal experience. Some people have a different threshold of amorment (TNP coined the phrase). You may want something more lightweight if you are planning on carrying, but you arent going to know til you try a system out. That is kind of the reason why i went with this compact. For now its my break in gun/range gun, and when I am ready to sign up for C/C I'll have a good option or hopefully enough experience and exposure to decide if i want or can handle something lighter. As of now I am only 500 rounds down range and settling down with my experimentation with range/defense ammo types.
-That's my experience and research. Take it as you will. Hope it helps.
-Wormwood

Edit P.S If you want to enhance your grip to make a compact more accommodating you could always add skateboard tape. It's really easy and cheap. If you dont have the time you can always order sand or rubber grips that fit perfectly out of the package too.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts