Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I have a question. i bought the above pistol Friday and put 100 rounds through it on Saturday. I love it! It is my first Springfield and it is everything I thought it would be. So my question is this - is there a way to disable the grip safety? I'm just curious if it is a possible, since there can be situations where, in haste, I could grab the gun but not get that grip safety depressed completely

Thanks for any replies!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!
Disabling the grip safety is not a god idea.
Practice getting a good proper high grip on the pistol and you'll not only ensure getting the grip safety depressed, but you'll also achieve better recoil control.

One of the 1st things discussed at my Club's 'New Shooter' orientation is getting the web between your thumb/index finger right into the arch of the backstrap.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Welcome.

Great question and valid concern. It would be a bad situation if you unholstered your firearm in a time of need and a poor grip disabled it

The grip safety is one of my least favorite things of the XD platform.

Glock, Sig, and Walther all choose to skip the grip safety... I feel that's what the majority of the market prefers. SA choose to differentiate themselves... which isn't always a bad thing... but in this case I'm not a fan.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Practice man... practice.

Bazillions of 1911 fans have never had a problem with their grip safety. (Ok... is bazillion a number?? ) ... anyway.... and after several thousand rounds through an XDM 4.5" and the XDM compact, in both regular range time and high stress training classes, the grip safety has never been an issue.

Practice / Train until there is no longer a doubt in your mind.

·
Premium Member
1,405 Posts
You've got to miss pretty bad to not disengage the grip safety. I've owned an XD (and 1911's) in one form or another for the past 11 years and have never failed to disengage the safety.

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
It is very difficult not to depress the grip safety and still try to pull the trigger. Why is this not a concern with 1911's?. I never heard of anyone wanting to disconnect the grip safety on a 1911.

And welcome to the forum rgbfishboy. I see it's your first post since joining.

·
Registered
130 Posts
In over 40 years of shooting pistols with a grip safety, I've never had a problem or feared that I may have a problem with a grip safety.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
I'll admit that this is one of the areas where other striker-fired polymers - ones without grip safeties - does make for a strong case over the XD-series pistols.

I've yet to have a problem with the grip safety on my XDms, and I've taken them to some decently intense classes.

However, one recent drill did highlight this shortcoming. With other striker-fired autopistols without the grip safety, in extreme-close-range-combatives, it's possible to utilize the thumb of the shooting hand to *force*/keep the slide in-battery for at least one shot, contact. Yes, it's true that you'll need to then perform immediate-action to reduce the stoppage, but at least that gives you that one shot.

With the XDm, I'm unable to successfully accomplish this task.

I do not know if aftermarket extended grip safeties would remedy this concern.

Habit tells me to push and then retract, so I'm not really sure how this knowledge may affect my decisions in the long-run.

Pinning the safety is definitely a possibility, but I really like the redundancy of the grip safety in an everyday-carry context as it tremendously cuts-down on the likelihood of a negligent discharge while holstering.

One other thing for those who seriously use their XD-series guns to figure out is whether or not they can accomplish single-handed manipulations with their support/reaction/"weak" hand. I've met both left-handers as well as right-handers who've literally not been able to accomplish such, and that's a real non-starter when it comes to choosing a defensive pistol. Certainly, these people are in the minority: rarity, actually. But they do truly exist, and it's one of the few reasons for which I will advise someone to look at a different gun.

·
Registered
124 Posts
In over 40 years of shooting pistols with a grip safety, I've never had a problem or feared that I may have a problem with a grip safety.
That's fantastic...for you. Doesn't do much to help the fellow with the question/concern ;)

I really enjoy shooting my XDm... but it's unlikely to ever earn a spot in the carry rotation, simply because I want as little as possible in the way of the gun being fired when I need it most.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, thanks for al the replies. I really wasn't looking to disable the grip safety, I was just curious if anyone had done this . You know how we humans are, we'll figure out a way to change or adjust anything. I am used to a grip safety, as I have owned two 1911s, so I'll be practicing with this new pistol so I will always use a grip that engages the safety. Thanks again!

·
Registered
80 Posts
The grip safety was the MAIN reason I chose the XDM over the Glock when I bought my first XDM
I've never worried about it or had a problem with it and think it adds a layer of safety to the gun. (As stated already)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here's my take on this:

1. I never notice the grip safety, so its presence is not an issue with me at all.
  2. Try to grip and (dry) fire the pistol without depressing the grip safety. It isn't easy. I suspect if you did manage to fire it without depressing the grip safety, it'd end up smacking you in the face.
  3. I question the wisdom of disabling any safety feature.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
The grip safety was the MAIN reason I chose the XDM over the Glock when I bought my first XDM
I've never worried about it or had a problem with it and think it adds a layer of safety to the gun. (As stated already)
Same here. It's a safety that you don't even have to consciously consider engaging/disengaging. It doesn't even require an extra step. What's not to like?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,535 Posts
Here's my take on this:

Try to grip and (dry) fire the pistol without depressing the grip safety. It isn't easy. I suspect if you did manage to fire it without depressing the grip safety, it'd end up smacking you in the face.
Dry, the pistol won't recoil. :p;):D

But let's say that the pistol was loaded - the XD-series physically cannot be discharged without the grip safety being deactivated.

----

Same here. It's a safety that you don't even have to consciously consider engaging/disengaging. It doesn't even require an extra step. What's not to like?
What's not to like:

(1) Debris could potentially get into the mechanism, jamming it and thus render the gun unable to discharge. Unlikely but nevertheless possible. There have been very credible reports of this as well as very credible individuals who've tried virtually everything they can to jam up this area and not be able to do it (my range/training XDms also both lead harsh lives - they've both gotten extremely, extremely dirty, and I don't mean just carbon fouling, either - I have personally yet to be able to jam the grip safety mechanism), and that's why I say that it's unlikely, but still possible.

(2) Depending on the individual, support/reaction/"weak" hand-only manipulations may be impossible. I have a friend who is a lefty. He loved his XDs and invested a lot in both the guns and carry gear to make them truly his EDCs and primary defensive weapons. To this day, he still insists that they were, for him, the most accurate pistols that he'd ever shot - bar none.

He ditched his XDs a few years ago because at a high-pace manipulations class, no matter how and what he tried (and what his instructors attempted to teach him to circumvent the problems), he simply could not reliably perform support-hand-only manipulations with his XDs, due in large part to the grip safety.

I personal believe that anyone who intends to use the XD-series pistols as true defensive pistols need to work through single-handed manipulations with both hands, to insure that the extra layer of complication that the grip safety brings into the equation will not be a problem.

(3) One ECQC skill is to use your weapon hand thumb to forcefully insure that the slide remains in-battery as the muzzle is jammed against your aggressor's body. This prevents the slide from displacing out-of-battery and allows for a critical single contact shot to be made (with the understanding that the individual will have to execute immediate-action upon disengaging from the threat, to clear the spent case from the chamber so as to ready the pistol to fight again). With the XD-series' grip safety, this is pretty much impossible for all but a few with very unique hand/finger anatomy/articulation to accomplish (I am among those who, unfortunately, cannot do it at all).

Now, before anyone flames away at me and says that I must be a troll, check my past posts here and elsewhere about my beloved XDms. :p

1 - 15 of 15 Posts