Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was my second trip to the range with the new 3.8 compact and again it is failing to lock back.

The first trip this problem presented itself about halfway through so we broke it down, cleaned and oiled everything, and it was back in business.

Today I put 15 magazines through it with 5 rounds in each mag and it failed to lock back 13 times. I made very certain that my thumb was nowhere near the slide release on 12 of those 13 times(wasn't paying attention to the first mag as I thought this problem was gone) and I wasn't limpwristing.

This is a great gun but with this problem happening on both included mags with multiple shooters and different brands of ammo I guess I've got to send it to SA and let them work on it... Any experiences with their customer service and specifically when they ship it back whats the best way to get my gun back since I work and can't be home when they want to deliver it?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Just break it in bro. That is normal with under 500-750 rounds when not using a high end hollow point. The ammo isn't strong enough to pull the slide back far enough to lock.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Just break it in bro. That is normal with under 500-750 rounds when not using a high end hollow point. The ammo isn't strong enough to pull the slide back far enough to lock.

THIS IS NOT NORMAL. Send back to SA, they will pay for shipping both ways. They have EXCELLENT CS.

Question: Did you also recieve Long Mags w/ sleeve? If so do they lock back?

A test you could try would be to insert an empty mag and rack slide manually to see if it locks back. If it doesnt you got bad magazine. You could even call SA and explain your problem and that you may not be able to be home for delivery and they will probably send a new mag or two to try out.

·
Registered
31,581 Posts
...go to the range with a friend and have him put some mags through it and make sure 100% it's not you.
I would do this before going to the trouble of sending it to Springfield. It would even benefit you in your shooting. You could concentrate fully on shooting the gun as you normally would while your friend monitors the gun in your hands. If the problem keeps happening to both of you and you have visually confirmed that you both do not have your thumbs in the way, then you can call Springfield.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Today was my second trip to the range with the new 3.8 compact and again it is failing to lock back.

The first trip this problem presented itself about halfway through so we broke it down, cleaned and oiled everything, and it was back in business.

Today I put 15 magazines through it with 5 rounds in each mag and it failed to lock back 13 times. I made very certain that my thumb was nowhere near the slide release on 12 of those 13 times(wasn't paying attention to the first mag as I thought this problem was gone) and I wasn't limpwristing.

This is a great gun but with this problem happening on both included mags with multiple shooters and different brands of ammo I guess I've got to send it to SA and let them work on it... Any experiences with their customer service and specifically when they ship it back whats the best way to get my gun back since I work and can't be home when they want to deliver it?
I will bet money you are riding the slide release. This happens all the time on my XDM 9, especially if you use a thumbs forward grip. This is one of the minor things I would change if I were designing it. I bet if you go and shoot 500 rounds and pay attention to your thumb placement, it will lock back every time. Please do that before you sent it to SA because you will just wait weeks for them to tell you nothing is wrong with it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made very certain, on 12 of the 13 times that it failed to lock back, that my thumb wasn't near the slide release so that's clearly not the issue and it's happened with multiple shooters with both included magazines.

The slide does lock back with the mags empty as well.

Gotta say I'm kinda disappointed my gun isn't functioning as it should but since I've got another XDm I know how nice they are and provided CS doesn't screw this up(fixes the issue in a timely fashion) I'll continue to be a happy customer.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
Could be a rounded edge on the slide or on the lock where contact each other; one or the other will cause this offen found in guns after "many" thousands of rounds, you just may have a flaw out of the box. Where they contact should be a sharp corner on both pieces.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Gotta say I'm kinda disappointed my gun isn't functioning as it should but since I've got another XDm I know how nice they are and provided CS doesn't screw this up(fixes the issue in a timely fashion) I'll continue to be a happy customer.
CS does not screw it up, they have a great reputation for a reason. You should be quite happy with the results.

RJ

·
Registered
263 Posts
I'm telling you guys. It might not be "common" but it is normal. Call Springfield yourself. I also had one of the most reputable gunsmiths locally look at it and he said it's normal if the spring is tighter for it not to slide back all the way with a bottom shelf round. I've only put maybe 10-15 mags through it and had this happen twice. Both times I was shooting blazer ammo. When I finished on pdx1's it was fine.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just spoke to CS and they're paying for shipping and insurance to send the firearm back to them to check out.

She agreed with xd-9serviceb that it can be normal to not have the slide lock back all the time on the first few hundred rounds but when she heard how often I've been having an issue with it, thought that sending it in might be a good idea.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just called SA to make sure everything was going ok on my gun and it turns out the first girl I had spoken to wrote my issue down as "jamming" when it clearly is not and I very clearly explained the issue to her.

Penny corrected the notes so hopefully they try to fix the right problem but she never apologized for them documenting it incorrectly(not a big deal but taking ownership goes a long way in my book.)

·
Registered
113 Posts
you sure your thumb is not hitting it during recoil? thats always the case when it happens to me.... and why does this bother people? i dont mind it when it happens.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Positive. It happened on 13 of 15 empty mags(5 rounds each mag) on my last range trip which was the 2nd ever with that gun. The first failure to lock back that day caught me off guard but since it had happened before I was aware that my thumb could get in the way, so when it came down to the last round each mag I made damn sure my thumb was far away and i had a good grip so I didn't limp wrist it. Definitely an issue with the gun.

It happened way too much for me to be a pleased customer. If I'm going to spend the extra money to get what's supposed to be a nicer product it better work as it's supposed to even if it's something minor like failing to lock back.

Hopefully SA can fix the problem but so far I'm not that impressed with their customer service since indicating my problem as "jamming" instead of "failing to lock back" after my 5 minute explanation of the issue(the OP almost word for word) is a pretty stupid mistake. They still have the opportunity to turn it around but I don't think I'll come away with the glowing impression of them that most people have.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well looks like its on the truck for delivery... so much for letting me know when to expect it so I could have someone there to take delivery. Should hopefully get it to the range this weekend and see if it's working.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Good luck. Might have been a bad spring that was too stiff and not broken in. Also with the compact make sure you're not limp wristing since it's a shorter grip.

I'm sure it was fixed.

I shot mine yesterday and had another good time. Very accurate

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the invoice said

"Inspected pistol - pistol was received very dry. Refit slide to frame, applied oil, tested."

That coupled with the woman having described my problem as "jamming" kind of makes me worried that they didn't actually fix the issue with the slide failing to lock back. I'm going to try to get to the range tomorrow and if it continues to happen SA is going to get a real earful.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts